ADVERTISEMENT

August tweets

I assume this is the one that is giving a mill NIL to each school? Do we know where that money is coming from? Maybe I am off but I neve saw these preseason tourneys as big moneymakers.
Is a las vegas trip thanskgiving week sexy?

Is a las vegas trip thanskgiving week sexy?
Who is the team behind Players Era?
Players Era was created by EverWonder Studio and Seth Berger. EverWonder is a new independent content studio led by Emmy and PeabodyAward-winning producer Ian Orefice – the former President of TIME and TIME Studios – and backed by RedBird IMI and Jeff Zucker – the former President of NBCUniversal, CNN, and Turner Sports. Seth is the Founder and Partner of Potential Capital, an early-stage venture capital firm. Seth has been the CEO of four consumer businesses, including being the Founder and CEO of AND 1 Basketball.

The economic viability of a pre-season tournament, which will be broadcast over some streaming service, and paying out around $10 million to the teams involved, is dubious at best. Why would Peacock, or any streaming service, pay any more money for this tournament than ESPN pays for the Maui Invitational being played during the same week and which features the national champs UConn, North Carolina, Iowa State and Auburn (all in Jon Rothstein's pre-season Top 12). Does Players Era really think that San Diego State vs. Oregon, Creighton vs. Texas A&M, and Notre Dame vs. Rutgers has any national juice? I have read that a pre-season tournament brings in $1 million to $3 million. If true, in what business model does this tournament rake in an additional $7 million to just break even?

Reactions: Seton75
The economic viability of a pre-season tournament, which will be broadcast over some streaming service, and paying out around $10 million to the teams involved, is dubious at best. Why would Peacock, or any streaming service, pay any more money for this tournament than ESPN pays for the Maui Invitational being played during the same week and which features the national champs UConn, North Carolina, Iowa State and Auburn (all in Jon Rothstein's pre-season Top 12). Does Players Era really think that San Diego State vs. Oregon, Creighton vs. Texas A&M, and Notre Dame vs. Rutgers has any national juice? I have read that a pre-season tournament brings in $1 million to $3 million. If true, in what business model does this tournament rake in an additional $7 million to just break even?
Wbd has this event

Based on what is known...an historical event like the alaska shootout faded into oblivion, espn events group has downsized participants of certain fields in recent years.

Hawaii bahamas and formerly puerto rico were off the mainland warm weather destinations thanksgiving week.

The original rules of the exempt tournament fell away and it became an oversaturated scene.

Look at the preseason NIT marquee 4 this year. Was once a highly coveted event.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT