ADVERTISEMENT

Baffling Anti-Trust Suit Against Apple

cernjSHU

All World
Gold Member
Jul 18, 2001
The DOJ has instituted an anti-trust suit against Apple. While I expected something like this to be instituted against Apple's App Store, this suit is much broader. This suit attacks Apple on multi-fronts saying that it dominates the smartphone market with 65% of market share. It also attacks Apple Pay and and Apple Watch. This is an over broad suit and they have acquired market share because it is the best phone out there. This lawsuit started under the Trump DOJ and now through the Biden DOJ.

In the end, I think Apple will tweak what it does with the App Store, but I think this will end up with very little change and Apple will win in the end.

The DOJ has instituted an anti-trust suit against Apple. While I expected something like this to be instituted against Apple's App Store, this suit is much broader. This suit attacks Apple on multi-fronts saying that it dominates the smartphone market with 65% of market share. It also attacks Apple Pay and and Apple Watch. This is an over broad suit and they have acquired market share because it is the best phone out there. This lawsuit started under the Trump DOJ and now through the Biden DOJ.

In the end, I think Apple will tweak what it does with the App Store, but I think this will end up with very little change and Apple will win in the end.
Never owned an apple product in my life

Reactions: shu09
The app store part seems obvious and Apple will need to make changes there. The other parts I’m not sure about yet.

I use Apple products and think the ecosystem is great, but Apple does make it very difficult to switch to a competitor once you’re in the ecosystem. Apple is behind on technological innovation and relies on their customers being ok with that because of how well everything works together.

All things being equal, I wouldn’t choose Apple for my next phone. The competitor phones are better in my opinion. Though, given the fact that I have an Apple Watch, AppleTV and homepods around the house, it would be inconvenient to switch.

The app store part seems obvious and Apple will need to make changes there. The other parts I’m not sure about yet.

I use Apple products and think the ecosystem is great, but Apple does make it very difficult to switch to a competitor once you’re in the ecosystem. Apple is behind on technological innovation and relies on their customers being ok with that because of how well everything works together.

All things being equal, I wouldn’t choose Apple for my next phone. The competitor phones are better in my opinion. Though, given the fact that I have an Apple Watch, AppleTV and homepods around the house, it would be inconvenient to switch.
I have no idea what phone you think is better than an iPhone, I haven't tried anything other than an iPhone in years. But I can't imagine it being better. Second, the thing about Apple products is that it just works and it is all just so logical to use.

At work, I have had to go back to Windows computer and I absolutely hate it. I am so close to bringing my iMac desktop to work just to get rid of this horrible experience I am having with Windows.

I have no idea what phone you think is better than an iPhone, I haven't tried anything other than an iPhone in years. But I can't imagine it being better. Second, the thing about Apple products is that it just works and it is all just so logical to use.

I agree that Apple is best for ease of use, and their camera is the best for video.
It does depend what your budget is. If you're buying the 15 Pro Max, you're not going to notice a huge difference between that and the top Android phones at similar price points. I think the S24 Ultra for example is a nicer overall phone, but it's not going to really be noticeable. (I tend to stay well below those price points though)

Ecosystem aside, if you're budget is under $800 then there are better options that the current iPhones in my opinion. If I were getting a new phone today without worrying about the ecosystem, I would probably get the Pixel 8 or Oneplus 12. Both would be better than the non pro iPhone models. Just my opinion.

I agree that Apple is best for ease of use, and their camera is the best for video.
It does depend what your budget is. If you're buying the 15 Pro Max, you're not going to notice a huge difference between that and the top Android phones at similar price points. I think the S24 Ultra for example is a nicer overall phone, but it's not going to really be noticeable. (I tend to stay well below those price points though)

Ecosystem aside, if you're budget is under $800 then there are better options that the current iPhones in my opinion. If I were getting a new phone today without worrying about the ecosystem, I would probably get the Pixel 8 or Oneplus 12. Both would be better than the non pro iPhone models. Just my opinion.
I have the iPhone 15 Pro and it’s a great phone. I just purchased a 15” MacBook Air and the battery life is pretty incredible m. Very happy with the new laptop. As with most Apple users, we buy Apple products because it’s the best. The ecosystem is what people demanded for years and Apple gave the people what they wanted. Now the DOJ comes in and says that the ecosystem is a monopoly. . That’s BS. We pay higher prices for Apple products for the ease of use, the quality and the ecosystem. Every experience I have had with a no Apple product has been disappointing and leaves me wanting just to use Apple products. But for Word from Microsoft, my preference is all Apple.

apple needs to be dinged for their planned obsolescence. not just with their hardware and chargers, but also their software. iphone 8? have fun with it being a brick on the next software update.

went to get my screen fixed from ubreakifix. dude in their very knowledgeable about the phone industry says apple phones are only good every 3rd phone or so. said samsung or google phones are best on the market right now especially the camera.

apple needs to be dinged for their planned obsolescence. not just with their hardware and chargers, but also their software. iphone 8? have fun with it being a brick on the next software update.

That phone is 6.5 years old though.
Apple devices are usually supported for about 6-8 years. That's much better than the Pixel phones to date and about the same as the better Samsung phones. I get the itch for a new phone about every 3 years so that doesn't bug me personally but I usually stick to buying the previous gen phone so I am getting a new phone at year 4-5 of it's lifecycle. Their computers also have a longer lifespan than most PC's as well.

MKBHD has a good summary of the iPhone vs Android debate.

went to get my screen fixed from ubreakifix. dude in their very knowledgeable about the phone industry says apple phones are only good every 3rd phone or so. said samsung or google phones are best on the market right now especially the camera.

It’s not a bad diy fix fwiw. Amazon has kits with the screen and the tools you’d need for about $20.
Actually replacing a screen today.

That phone is 6.5 years old though.
Apple devices are usually supported for about 6-8 years. That's much better than the Pixel phones to date and about the same as the better Samsung phones. I get the itch for a new phone about every 3 years so that doesn't bug me personally but I usually stick to buying the previous gen phone so I am getting a new phone at year 4-5 of it's lifecycle. Their computers also have a longer lifespan than most PC's as well.

MKBHD has a good summary of the iPhone vs Android debate.

It’s not a bad diy fix fwiw. Amazon has kits with the screen and the tools you’d need for about $20.
Actually replacing a screen today.
link?

generally apple isn't too fond of making it easy to replace parts.

apple phones are $1000 purchases they should last more than 5 years. and thats just the phones. all of their chargers break within a year. i had a macbook essentially turn into a pressure bomb when the battery died and exploded. my current macbook pro is like 4 years old and now the battery drains when closed. no easy fix.

theyre not that far ahead of competitors in reality but much more expensive. for being seamless, things tend to be pretty difficult. airdrop issues, screen pairing issues, cloud issues, etc. i have more issues with my home apple products than my non apple work products.

at this point the only reason most people use iphone is so their group chats don't go sms. sms cant share photos or videos without losing 90% of the quality.

and don't get me started on the charging port on the mouse!

link?

This is the one I bought for an XR.

my current macbook pro is like 4 years old and now the battery drains when closed. no easy fix.

Have you turned off wifi and bluetooth before closing the lid?
Something is calling for it to wake up, pretty much need to troubleshoot through trial and error to figure out what it is. That's a pain.

Reactions: SHUSA
link?

apple phones are $1000 purchases they should last more than 5 years. and thats just the phones. all of their chargers break within a year. i had a macbook essentially turn into a pressure bomb when the battery died and exploded. my current macbook pro is like 4 years old and now the battery drains when closed. no easy fix.

theyre not that far ahead of competitors in reality but much more expensive. for being seamless, things tend to be pretty difficult. airdrop issues, screen pairing issues, cloud issues, etc. i have more issues with my home apple products than my non apple work products.

at this point the only reason most people use iphone is so their group chats don't go sms. sms cant share photos or videos without losing 90% of the quality.

and don't get me started on the charging port on the mouse!
I agree with you with the charging port on the mouse. It is a big complaint of mine. Don’t understand why you can’t charge the mouse and use it at the same time.

However, I have no idea what you are doing with your computer and phone products to have such issues. I have never had such issues and I have had Apple products since 2006. The Macs last longer than any other computer I have ever had and ran windows better than any other computer than I have.

As far as price goes, you don’t have to buy an Apple product. No one forced you to. It’s your choice. Go buy an android phone or Dell. It’s complete nonsense that Apple forces you to be in their ecosystem. That’s not true. You choose to be in it and you are too lazy to leave it. Or most likely, it’s till better than other products despite your complaints.

I agree with you with the charging port on the mouse. It is a big complaint of mine. Don’t understand why you can’t charge the mouse and use it at the same time.

However, I have no idea what you are doing with your computer and phone products to have such issues. I have never had such issues and I have had Apple products since 2006. The Macs last longer than any other computer I have ever had and ran windows better than any other computer than I have.

As far as price goes, you don’t have to buy an Apple product. No one forced you to. It’s your choice. Go buy an android phone or Dell. It’s complete nonsense that Apple forces you to be in their ecosystem. That’s not true. You choose to be in it and you are too lazy to leave it. Or most likely, it’s till better than other products despite your complaints.
i dont hate apple. i just dont think its so amazing and without fault as its cracked up to be.

and a lot of thigns arent major issues, just a million little ones that get frustrating over time.

side note, did anyone see the Curb episode on Siri from this season?

This is the one I bought for an XR.

Have you turned off wifi and bluetooth before closing the lid?
Something is calling for it to wake up, pretty much need to troubleshoot through trial and error to figure out what it is. That's a pain.
i might try this on my old broken iphone X. funny enough i actually think the X works faster than the 11

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT