ADVERTISEMENT

Baldwin….WTF

The same thing took out Bruce Lee's son Brandon Lee years ago.

Hard to fathom. There are strict protocols in the SAG and Equity unions on handling fights, swords, knives, and guns.

He was clearly distraught. Despite him being an arrogant world class a-hole, I feel for anyone who makes a mistake like that. It will haunt him.

I am now curious if justice will be served. I can't imagine its gets dismissed as nothing. I'd like to think there is some charge of negligence. There will likely be a civil suit by the families. The production is liable as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
Looks like he was shooting a scene in a movie. Not as a joke. The gun malfunctioned and there was a tragic accident. Question is how did the gun malfunction? Just a horrible horrible tragedy. But this is no way criminal.
As Pirata said, there are strict protocols. Gross negligence seems to fit at this point rather than any criminal charges. I don't get the malfunction comment. The gun worked fine...why was there live ammo in the gun? Who put it in there? What's the procedure for double-checking (especially given that this has happened in the past?Where was the on-set supervision? Lot's of questions and accountability.

Reactions: SHUMA04 and Abbo71
As Pirata said, there are strict protocols. Gross negligence seems to fit at this point rather than any criminal charges. I don't get the malfunction comment. The gun worked fine...why was there live ammo in the gun? Who put it in there? What's the procedure for double-checking (especially given that this has happened in the past?Where was the on-set supervision? Lot's of questions and accountability.
I did not know that there was a determination that it was live ammo or something malfunctioned. The article that you posted stated it was unclear of whether live ammo was placed into the gun or something else.

Reactions: Hallsome
Wild West City dejavu tradgey from years ago.In that case I believe live ammo was put in gun by accident.

baldwin is really big time pro gun safety. this is definitely not his fault and will haunt him. why are they using anything remotely close to real guns in move sets?

baldwin is really big time pro gun safety. this is definitely not his fault and will haunt him. why are they using anything remotely close to real guns in move sets?
This will haunt him. At 13 years old I was taught to never point a gun at anyone loaded or otherwise. They may need to go back to cap guns. We don't know the whole story yet but tragic any way you look at it.

Reactions: SHUSA
It’s not the issue though? If you were really into gun safety you would never do what he did.

Based on this explanation, it sounds like multiple procedures weren't followed or ignored. Really tragic.

A prop master explains how a prop gun can be dangerous​

A film crew member died and another was injured after actor Alec Baldwin discharged a prop firearm on the set of the movie "Rust" in New Mexico on Thursday, authorities said.
But how can a prop gun kill someone?
"Prop weapons do have a dangerous factor to them even though they're a lot safer than using a live firearm on set," says Joseph Fisher, a prop master who works on movie sets and has handled weapons in the military and with the NYPD. "Typical prop load will be about 25 to 50% of the gunpowder in an actual projectile load that would be used in a regular weapon."
Even though there is no actual physical projectile mounted on the cartridge, there will be gas, heat and air coming out of the weapon since there is gunpowder load present, "and those can cause physical injury within 25 to 50 feet, depending on the load," Fisher added.
Fisher said those on set "take extreme caution with any kind of weapons, whether they be prop guns, blank guns, and anything in between.
"Typically, we will do a safety brief with the cast and crew. We'll introduce the weapon to the cast and crew, we'll let them examine it, we'll explain the safety precautions that go with each type of prop weapon," he told CNN.
In a scene involving prop guns, "we do safety distances, we try to keep the actors slightly misaligned with the weapon, so that if the person firing the weapon is firing straight this way, the other actor in frame is just slightly off," Fisher explained.

It’s not the issue though? If you were really into gun safety you would never do what he did.
I am no fan of Baldwin, but at this point I do not think it is at all clear if he did anything wrong., if others did something wrong or it was just a tragic accident.

These prop guns are still dangerous. As others have said, this has unfortunately happened before noteably to Brandon Lee and at Wild West City in NJ.

if you knew it was a prop gun, its not an actual gun. should have been as effective as a lego gun.

I am no fan of Baldwin, but at this point I do not think it is at all clear if he did anything wrong., if others did something wrong or it was just a tragic accident.

These prop guns are still dangerous. As others have said, this has unfortunately happened before noteably to Brandon Lee and at Wild West City in NJ.
I know...horrible, but as that last article states, protocol is to not even point the prop gun at someone, so neglegence on Baldwin is likely.

Reactions: Pirata
I know...horrible, but as that last article states, protocol is to not even point the prop gun at someone, so neglegence on Baldwin is likely.

You're jumping to conclusions without knowing what happened. How about let the facts come out? Pretty sad behavior but I guess everyone needs to do hot takes.

You're jumping to conclusions without knowing what happened. How about let the facts come out? Pretty sad behavior but I guess everyone needs to do hot takes.
The quote from the props guy (from CNN article) indicated that you don't even aim the gun at the subject, but at an angle that may look like on camera. That seems like negligence right there. I agree that let the facts play out, but that part seems pretty simple.

Reactions: SHallguy2
The quote from the props guy (from CNN article) indicated that you don't even aim the gun at the subject, but at an angle that may look like on camera. That seems like negligence right there. I agree that let the facts play out, but that part seems pretty simple.
Seems like you just want Baldwin to be found guilty of something without knowing any facts. If Baldwin is shooting a scene in a movie, guess who is not in the scene? The director and the director of photography. Those people would be behind the scenes. Now somehow one got killed and one got injured although they were not in the scene. Meaning, the person or object Baldwin was aiming at in the scene did not get hit. Seems like a lot needs to come out. But what you think is simple, Baldwin's negligence, is not simple. As a matter of fact, he may have no negligence whatsoever. Whoever was handling the prop gun would be negligent.

Reactions: HallBall02
Seems like you just want Baldwin to be found guilty of something without knowing any facts. If Baldwin is shooting a scene in a movie, guess who is not in the scene? The director and the director of photography. Those people would be behind the scenes. Now somehow one got killed and one got injured although they were not in the scene. Meaning, the person or object Baldwin was aiming at in the scene did not get hit. Seems like a lot needs to come out. But what you think is simple, Baldwin's negligence, is not simple. As a matter of fact, he may have no negligence whatsoever. Whoever was handling the prop gun would be negligent.
Sounds like you are the one jumping to conclusions. You somehow know these two people were unknowingly in the line of fire? I have already said, let’s see what the investigation shows. From what has been shared thus far, it SEEMS like he’s negligent.

Are you some kind of lawyer or something? If Hall85 says negligence, it's case closed. Hall85 is an expert in gross negligence.

Some good points raised here.

The big issue will be was he using the gun as intended as part of the scene or did he point the gun outside of the scene.

If he was using the gun as intended then he's off the hook.

If he had the gun on a break and pointed and shot then he is screwed.

but it was related to the scene. not just him joking around waving the gun.
More information surfacing…gun malfunctioned twice on the set, some of the crew walked off protesting unsafe conditions days before.

Negligence can be hard to PROVE in and especially out of court.

Every gun safety learning program tells you over and over again to never point a loaded or unloaded gun at anyone. Gun safety 101. You don’t need to point the gun at someone to get the desired effect in a movie. I bet this incident grows legs, Baldwin I’m sure is remorse but also has a history of being a hot head.

Every gun safety learning program tells you over and over again to never point a loaded or unloaded gun at anyone. Gun safety 101. You don’t need to point the gun at someone to get the desired effect in a movie. I bet this incident grows legs, Baldwin I’m sure is remorse but also has a history of being a hot head.
seems like ur taking it too far. if i was an actor id point a PROP gun at a person. everyone would.

so baldwin looks pretty innocent here. prob why the conversation died. pretty obvious some here really wanted him to be at fault. gyess theyre disappointed

Reactions: silkcitypirate
so baldwin looks pretty innocent here. prob why the conversation died. pretty obvious some here really wanted him to be at fault. gyess theyre disappointed
Is the investigation completed?

Is the investigation completed?
i now youre really hoping baldwin gets the blame here,

pretty clear he wasnt aiming the gun at the victim. if anything it sounds like hed be mroe at fault as a producer.

i now youre really hoping baldwin gets the blame here,

pretty clear he wasnt aiming the gun at the victim. if anything it sounds like hed be mroe at fault as a producer.
Is the investigation over?

seems like ur taking it too far. if i was an actor id point a PROP gun at a person. everyone would.

Yeah. This thread is pretty crazy.

An actor doesn't load the gun, and they point the gun where the director tells them to. If he deviated from that plan somehow, then there is a problem. If not, then this was just an unfortunate tragedy.

Reactions: HallBall02

An actor doesn't load the gun, and they point the gun where the director tells them to. If he deviated from that plan somehow, then there is a problem. If not, then this was just an unfortunate tragedy.
you got anti baldwin people saying you dont point the gun at actors... meanwhile he didnt hit an actor. sorta checks out no?

I feel terrible for Baldwin. He’s going to have to live the rest of his life knowing that he shot and killed someone.

This is why taking gun safety lessons is so critical even for a stunt gun like this because obviously it is capable of shooting a real bullet. Even if someone hands you the gun and says it’s cold, you are ultimately responsible for its use. You are taught to check it yourself.

From the reports it also looks like it was a complete shit show on set. Armorer had issues, staff walked off the set due to safety concerns. And the gun had reported to have misfired twice already. Lots of questions.

Last edited:
I definitely 100% would not be able to do it. To be fair my father was a police officer and kept his guns locked up and unloaded. I was taught to be extremely careful and have taken multiple gun safety programs. As a seven year old kid I received a toy cap gun, my father took it away. He did not want me thinking any gun was a toy and it unnerved him seeing me pointing and shooting a cap gun. I ever pointed a gun at anyone including a prop gun (which I’m sure everyone realizes now is a real gun) I’m definitely on high alert in the presence of guns. Everyone should be on high alert around guns, gun accidents happen all the time. That being said feel terrible for Baldwin, I would never ever want to be in his shoes right now. This will haunt him forever a young mother is dead. To dismiss this incident as an accident and move on would be tragic in itself. Need a new set of rules or to rethink about how guns are used in a movie.

Last edited:
Not the first time this has happened. I feel terrible for Baldwin. But this also shows that anyone handling a gun needs to have training even if its considered a prop on a movie set. It's serious business. When you talk to any gun owner about this they will tell you that ultimately it is the holder of the gun that is responsible and you always have to handle with care and knowledge. Hard to say this is Alec's fault but the bottom line is anyone touching a gun needs training and that should be mandated for any movie set in the US going forward - this has happened before and should never happen again. Very sad and tragic story all around. Set sounds like a royal shit show too.

Not the first time this has happened. I feel terrible for Baldwin. But this also shows that anyone handling a gun needs to have training even if its considered a prop on a movie set. It's serious business. When you talk to any gun owner about this they will tell you that ultimately it is the holder of the gun that is responsible and you always have to handle with care and knowledge. Hard to say this is Alec's fault but the bottom line is anyone touching a gun needs training and that should be mandated for any movie set in the US going forward - this has happened before and should never happen again. Very sad and tragic story all around. Set sounds like a royal shit show too.
in a world of cgi and effects, why would they be using a gun that remotely could injure somebody? maybe baldwin thought it was a replica, like a toy, a gun only by looks. i mean, why else wouldnt it be??

And if it turns out it was a live round, why would there be a live round anywhere near a movie set that could end up in a gun used for filming?

in a world of cgi and effects, why would they be using a gun that remotely could injure somebody? maybe baldwin thought it was a replica, like a toy, a gun only by looks. i mean, why else wouldnt it be??
You have to ask Hollywood that one. This has clearly been a problem as other people have been killed or injured with a prop gun. But they have opted to keep using the guns and put procedures in place to prevent accidents. What complicates things for Baldwin is that he is also the Producer, meaning the buck stops with him. If it is found that the armorer was unqualified, or that there were actually unsafe working conditions that caused staff to walk off, then he has some shared responsibility. And the guy in charge should know if they are using a real prop gun or a replica/model. If you are told you have a "cold gun" right before you use it....

Ask any gun owner what they would do if somebody handed them a revolver and told them it was unloaded.

The answer is simple. You would take the gun and point it down and away from yourself and anything else. You would open the cylinder and inspect it for any rounds and then you would look down the barrel to see if there was a round in it.

Short of doing this you shouldn't be holding a gun.

Sadly a lot of people have been shot with guns that "weren't loaded"

Reactions: SHallguy2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT