ADVERTISEMENT

Beat Marquette

Piratz

All Universe
Gold Member
Mar 25, 2004
Do that and we’ll really be flying. Can we keep the good vibes going on Saturday at Noon? Quick turnaround against the team that has OWNED us. Since Shaka Smart took over we are 0-4 against them and got our doors absolutely blown off in the two games last year, losing by 16 in Milwaukee and 21 at The Rock. Woof. Few teams I want The Hall to beat more.

Last year Marquette shot .667 (24/36) and .741 (20/27!!!!) from 2PT range in the two games against us, the latter in Newark. Unreal.

Ighodaro in particular dismantled us shooting 15/16 from the floor, good Lord:

@MU = 8/9 FG for 16 points, 8 REB, 4:2 A:T, 3 BLK, 2 STL

@SHU = 7/7 FG for 18 points, 4 REB, 2:2 A:T, 2 BLK, 3 STL

Oddly this is only their 2nd game in 15 days and they’ve had a week off.

Do that and we’ll really be flying. Can we keep the good vibes going on Saturday at Noon? Quick turnaround against the team that has OWNED us. Since Shaka Smart took over we are 0-4 against them and got our doors absolutely blown off in the two games last year, losing by 16 in Milwaukee and 21 at The Rock. Woof. Few teams I want The Hall to beat more.

Last year Marquette shot .667 (24/36) and .741 (20/27!!!!) from 2PT range in the two games against us, the latter in Newark. Unreal.

Ighodaro in particular dismantled us shooting 15/16 from the floor, good Lord:

@MU = 8/9 FG for 16 points, 8 REB, 4:2 A:T, 3 BLK, 2 STL

@SHU = 7/7 FG for 18 points, 4 REB, 2:2 A:T, 2 BLK, 3 STL

Oddly this is only their 2nd game in 15 days and they’ve had a week off.
Let’s hope they are as rusty as the rust belt that Milwaukee inhabits.

Can we slow MU’s offense down and muck it up? It’s just a bad match up for SHU style of basketball. The starters are going to need some help from the bench in this one.
Have to use the Providence blueprint -- play at Hall's pace and work defense out to in

Ighodaro just killed us last year. Bediako gonna have his hands full. Kam Jones also a helluva player. Very tough matchup for us.

Reactions: PMB Pirate
Cam Jones misses against everyone else but us where he never misses.
Ighodaro is a total finesse player. Got to force him to play D on the blocks. Have to force kolek right.
Jones was second team all BE last year. Scored 15 a game with pretty good shooting stats. Was good as a freshman too. He makes some against others lol

Reactions: TomWall
Can we slow MU’s offense down and muck it up? It’s just a bad match up for SHU style of basketball. The starters are going to need some help from the bench in this one.
I agree with you about the defense. The Hall needs to come out of the gate and set the tone on the defensive end. Last year's game at Prudential was so disappointing. You just can't let them impose their will from the perimeter. They feed off their ball movement and Kolek is adept at ball distribution (6.3 assists per game). Like Depaul they usually shoot lights out when facing SHU for whatever reason. Richmond, Dawes, Davis and Wusu have to play a top-level game. Richmond has to focus and use his physicality the way he does against UConn. Yes, you are correct the bench just can't have a zero-production day. The good news is that two of Marquette's losses have come on the road at Wisconsin and Providence. In those games Wisconsin had 6 bench points and Providence only 7. Hopefully, EHE, Coleman and Sanders can do something in that dept. It will probably take one Pirate player scoring in the 20's to win. Marquette is hovering in the low 70's in most games. Sha has to remind them of Marquette embarrassing the team on their home court last year. Approach the game with BigEast Tournament Elimination energy. A win here would be humungous. More important a competitive game is what the fans want to see. They keep it close, and the building will be Rocking for sure.

Cam Jones misses against everyone else but us where he never misses.
Ighodaro is a total finesse player. Got to force him to play D on the blocks. Have to force kolek right.
Maybe we should defend Jones better then. Ighodaro too given he shot 15-16 against us last year.

You have to get them in the meat grinder. Their pace is also built on movement not dribbling the air out of the ball. Xavier carved us up, they’re even better than that.

Their offensive possession length is 12th in the NCAA with the 25th ranked offensive efficiency. Seton Hall is 337th in defensive possession length, just 86th in defensive efficiency. Can the defense keep up? Especially with such a thin bench?

Their ball movement against our defense will be tough. We tend to get lost on all of these switches and leave the 3 open. Shaheen refused to double oduro so maybe he finally sees we need to stop cheating off the perimeter. Also their on ball defense is very good. Trying to dribble drive so much w the sole intent to shoot may be tough

Reactions: Piratz
My least confident BE opponent but somehow they've stunned me beating UConn and Providence on the road....

My least confident BE opponent but somehow they've stunned me beating UConn and Providence on the road....
I agree this is an extremely tough home game. They move the ball the way Michigan St. did when they came into Newark. If Seton Hall can play a true competitive game then that would bode well for the remaining games, especially at home.

we match up significantly better against Maquette this year than last year.

Ighodaro doesn’t love physical play. He didn’t get that from Samuel last year… he’s going to have to earn his points against 10 fouls from Bediako and EHE

Omax Prosper was a matchup nightmare at the 4 spot last year with the ability to stretch the court with the 3 ball.

If we actually decide to play defense- Mitchell, Kolek and Jones matchup well for our guards

I remember leaving the last Marquette game at home the earliest I've ever left a game it was a total disaster last year at the Rock

Marquette shoots a lot of 3's but doesn't necessarily make a good percentage. Dangerous given Seton Hall's lousy perimeter defense, but maybe it evens out for a change and we catch them on a bad shooting day.
Have you ever watched Pirates game? Anyone we play has a career shooting day against us. We’re everyone’s good luck charm apparently. 🙄

Reactions: Pirate Russ
This is a typical SHU “we think we’re great for beating Providence” let down game where they think they can just show up. This team doesn’t have enough talent to just show up. They need to bring 100% effort every night. Not saying they need to play A game…just A+ effort.

This is a typical SHU “we think we’re great for beating Providence” let down game where they think they can just show up. This team doesn’t have enough talent to just show up. They need to bring 100% effort every night. Not saying they need to play A game…just A+ effort.
This mindset was a focal point of Sha’s post-Xavier.

This mindset was a focal point of Sha’s post-Xavier.
I think we were a tired team at that point and the players were starting to look forward to the break.

While you would the players could keep their focus long enough to get through the game, it's not always that easy.

Teams pegged to have a 10-10 kind of ceiling are pegged like that for a reason, and a 10-10 kind of a team is going to have games like that, as this team will going forward. I just wince at the thought of the inevitable game threads on those nights.

Reactions: Piratz and HALL85
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT