ADVERTISEMENT

Big East v. Mountain West Challenge, You In?

Hall Berry

Recruit
Silver Member
Apr 13, 2024
With the Gavitt Games a thing of the past, and the Big East-Big Twelve challenge likely to see the same fate after this year, I would love to see the Big East Conference schedule another challenge. One of the obstacles with a P5 challenge is that with all of those conferences expanding this year, there are just fewer out-of-conference games to schedule. The Big Ten now has 18 schools; the Big 12 has 16 schools.

Which brings me to this question. Would anyone sign on to a Big East vs. Mountain West Conference Challenge? [Only one Big East Team would have to sit out each year]. Put a bunch of games on Fox Sports and the rest on the CBS Sports Network.

If the P5 will not schedule conference challenges any longer, I think it would be a great way to add a quality NET opponent to the schedule.

Boise St coming to Newark. I'll pass
Boise State would at least be a quality opponent. Their NET was 26 last year and they were an NCAA team. By contrast our Big 12 opponent Oklahoma State was 123 a year ago. Besides, they would probably be saying Seton What?

The concern would be drawing Fresno State or San Jose State.

Not really, besides last year they were mostly 100-300 rated teams, no benefit in NET, could hurt prestige of league
This is false. The MWC had six top 40 NET teams -- San Diego State, New Mexico, Boise State, Nevada, Colorado State and Utah State. The others were UNLV (76), Wyoming (155), Fresno State (233) and San Jose State (243).

The Big East had four top 40 NET teams -- UConn, Creighton Marquette and SJU with Villanova at 41. Providence, Xavier, Seton Hall and Butler were between 58 and 68 and then we had Georgetown (205) and DePaul (320).

Like the OP, I'd like to find a new scheduling alliance with the Big 12 going away after this year. I'm just not sure if there one out there that makes sense.

Reactions: ivyhillparkk1963
Boise State would at least be a quality opponent. Their NET was 26 last year and they were an NCAA team. By contrast our Big 12 opponent Oklahoma State was 123 a year ago. Besides, they would probably be saying Seton What?

The concern would be drawing Fresno State or San Jose State.

This is false. The MWC had six top 40 NET teams -- San Diego State, New Mexico, Boise State, Nevada, Colorado State and Utah State. The others were UNLV (76), Wyoming (155), Fresno State (233) and San Jose State (243).

The Big East had four top 40 NET teams -- UConn, Creighton Marquette and SJU with Villanova at 41. Providence, Xavier, Seton Hall and Butler were between 58 and 68 and then we had Georgetown (205) and DePaul (320).

Like the OP, I'd like to find a new scheduling alliance with the Big 12 going away after this year. I'm just not sure if there one out there that makes sense.
I looked this up. They were 7-12 best conference since 2021 according to kenpom. They had at least 3 decent teams 20-70each year. Not bad.

But always had bad teams, before that time
Period they were 12-16th best conf. From 2021-2024 we have been the 3-6th best conference. Going from Big Ten/SEC/Big12 to them is a major downgrade. Last year they were fun to watch but so overrated…I don’t see them staying as strong in the NIL transfer portal age. Take a look at coaches and players that left instead of stayed. Long term deal with them would hurt us IMHO.

Reactions: radecicco
I looked this up. They were 7-12 best conference since 2021 according to kenpom. They had at least 3 decent teams 20-70each year. Not bad.

But always had bad teams, before that time
Period they were 12-16th best conf. From 2021-2024 we have been the 3-6th best conference. Going from Big Ten/SEC/Big12 to them is a major downgrade. Last year they were fun to watch but so overrated…I don’t see them staying as strong in the NIL transfer portal age. Take a look at coaches and players that left instead of stayed. Long term deal with them would hurt us IMHO.
They've generally been in the next tier outside the P6 along with the American, A-10 and the WCC. Every conference has its weak sisters year-to-year and they (and we) are no exception.

I don't know that it's a major downgrade but it is a lesser option than the remaining P4s. As I said above, I don't think there is an ideal fit for a scheduling alliance anywhere which I think is unfortunate.

I wouldn’t do a conference challenge as I think the Big East would only be set up to lose in any scenario against a non P6 conference (supposed to win, if you lose the sky is falling). But I would schedule frequently against select teams from the A-10, MVC, Mountain West, etc.

I think conference USA or some other similar mid majors actually built in some extra regular season games in a made for tv in-season showcase pitting similar ranked teams in conference against each other to help enhance resumes. The thought process was additional games against the bottom of the conference wasn’t going to help, so build flexibility into the regular season schedule to add games that could help. Don’t think the big east should consider this (the league is deeper and higher quality across the board), just sharing as an example of creative scheduling at the conference level.

Reactions: shupat08
No way! High major conferences do not do challenges with midmajors.
LOL, I knew you would hate it!

Fact is though that the Mountain West did have more tournament teams (5) than the Big East (3), ACC (4) and PAC-12 (4). Admittedly, a lot of paper tigers, but still more than three of the six P6 conferences. Just sayin'.

Im Out Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT