ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten commissioner to explore adding Oregon, Washington

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Pete Thamel, ESPN

Big Ten presidents and chancellors met early Thursday morning and authorized commissioner Tony Petitti to explore adding Oregon and Washington in expansion as potential conference members, sources told ESPN.

Petitti was tasked with narrowing his focus to those schools, as uncertainty surrounds the Pac-12's future, and bringing the presidents back more information on the potential additions. No offers have been made nor was a vote taken, sources told ESPN, as there would remain significant political roadblocks to the two schools being added.

The Big Ten explored adding Oregon and Washington in the months following the addition of USC and UCLA, sources told ESPN, but that quest ended in part because of complications in funding the schools at a full share. This time around, sources told ESPN, the schools would be given only a partial share.

The excess inventory of television games potentially could be covered by one of the league's four current TV partnerships -- FOX, CBS, NBC or the Big Ten Network.

Sources cautioned Thursday that remaining complications would need to be resolved for the schools to receive a Big Ten invitation. First, Big Ten leaders have been hesitant to completely wipe the Pac-12 off the map. The Big Ten's addition of USC and UCLA began the Pac-12's current spiral, which also has been fueled by Colorado's decision last week to go to the Big 12.

But this development would be a fatal blow.

The notion of calling checkmate is concerning to Big Ten leaders, sources told ESPN. Part of Petitti's job is to monitor as the future of the Pac-12 plays out. If schools such as Arizona, Arizona State and Utah leave for the Big 12, the move would become easier for Big Ten decision-makers. An Arizona move is expected, with sources telling ESPN on Thursday night that it and the Big 12 are in deep discussions and a deal is expected to be finalized in the near future.

Other headwinds in the Big Ten remain.

USC might not be thrilled with the additions, as part of the appeal of the Trojans and Bruins coming to the Big Ten was the allure of both schools being the only members on the West Coast. In theory, that protects the Los Angeles recruiting market and strengthens the recruiting pitch to West Coast prospects. This was not a negotiated part of the deal, sources told ESPN, but it was something valued. While the Los Angeles schools don't have a vote yet because they aren't officially members until the 2024-25 school year, there's still political ground to cover on that issue.

Also, and of more immediate importance, the allure of the potential move to the current Big Ten schools might not significant. There would be an uptick in travel costs, but there's no immediate guarantees that the Big Ten programs would make any more money -- certainly not significantly more -- from the additions.

The potential of Oregon and Washington being courted by the Big Ten is part of a complicated matrix as the Pac-12's future is being sorted out. Board meetings covering the futures of Washington, Arizona and Arizona State were scheduled for Thursday night.

Sources indicated to ESPN on Thursday afternoon that there are myriad directions on how everything could play out in the big picture, as four of the five major conferences face significant expansion questions.

if these moves happen, does the Big 10 go to 2 - 9 divisions or 3 - 6 team divisions?

Three divisions make it easier for travel, but it also adds another week into a league playoff, which I don’t think is possible.

B10 is not a conference. It is a media rights consortium. I’m absolutely thrilled that we are in a conference largely of historic rivals with a shared vision and home&home games.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
B10 is not a conference. It is a media rights consortium. I’m absolutely thrilled that we are in a conference largely of historic rivals with a shared vision and home&home games.
I dont know if I agree or disagree. I get your point the NBE feels good and its nice for tradition.

But you wouldn't want or don't think the school would want to be with the best of the best and be making significantly more money?

if these moves happen, does the Big 10 go to 2 - 9 divisions or 3 - 6 team divisions?

Three divisions make it easier for travel, but it also adds another week into a league playoff, which I don’t think is possible.
The league is eliminating divisions this year because it didn't like the idea that its two best teams weren't meeting in the conference championship game.

I'm not sure I see that changing even as it expands.

Theoretically divisions work better for the other sports which have more participants in the conference post-season tournament but I think football was the only Big 10 sport that used divisions.

Last edited:
Yes, your historic rivalries with DePaul, Xavier, Creighton, Marquette, and Butler are epic. BTW, those schools make up 45% of the conference. The original BIG schools still make up 63% of the conference even when SC and UCLA join. Seems to me that the BIG has way more historic rivals that the Big East.

Yes, your historic rivalries with DePaul, Xavier, Creighton, Marquette, and Butler are epic. BTW, those schools make up 45% of the conference. The original BIG schools still make up 63% of the conference even when SC and UCLA join. Seems to me that the BIG has way more historic rivals that the Big East.
They do. But you’re not a part of any of them.

Please look up the word largely. I’m delighted for you about those great RU historic rivalries….

Well, that didn’t take long. Sources saying that Oregon and Washington are in. 50% share first year. Then increasing.

They do. But you’re not a part of any of them.
We were not in any conference, and that is not what what the poster said. Only point is that the BIG has more historic rivalries than the BE.

I had expected 4 16 team conferences eventually to be created through B1G, PAC, SEC, and the survivor of Big #/ACC to be the other. I guess good on Big # for turning that on its head a bit, but given the trend happening now I would be worried if I was an ACC school of ending up like the PAC remnants with things increasingly looking like 3 conglomerates being a resting place for awhile versus 4 16 team conferences.

Reactions: lloyde dobler
I dont know if I agree or disagree. I get your point the NBE feels good and its nice for tradition.

But you wouldn't want or don't think the school would want to be with the best of the best and be making significantly more money?
This is why Seton Hall must work to put us in the position to ALWAYS be part of the conversation!

Two divisions for the Big 10. - actual Big 10 teams in one division and everyone else in the other. Preserves natural/traditional rivalries on one side and mouths to feed on the other.

I just want number conferences to change their names to decrease the dumbness. Then move on to geographic ones.

We were not in any conference, and that is not what what the poster said. Only point is that the BIG has more historic rivalries than the BE.
And you’re not part of any of them. With the exception of our NJ rivalry you have no rivals. And that is a telling thing. And not in a good way. I stand by my comment. You’ve hop skipped through 4 conferences in that last 30 years. Maybe in 20 years some other B10 will consider u a rival. Until then you’re just another game to ur opponents.

Oh and you have a retread (didn’t quite get it done in first go around, as in couldn’t win the weak conference) FB coach who embarrassed himself in the NFL and will almost assuredly fail in R2. And literally no one in NJ cares about college football. You have a decent BBall coach who will jump as soon as he gets past the first weekend. Why, cause he a smart guy. And let’s not forget ur AD is one of us.

Last edited:
And you’re not part of any of them. With the exception of our NJ rivalry you have no rivals. And that is a telling thing. And not in a good way. I stand by my comment. You’ve hop skipped through 4 conferences in that last 30 years. Maybe in 20 years some other B10 will consider u a rival. Until then you’re just another game to ur opponents.

Oh and you have a retread (didn’t quite get it done in first go around, as in couldn’t win the weak conference) FB coach who embarrassed himself in the NFL and will almost assuredly fail in R2. And literally no one in NJ cares about college football. You have a decent BBall coach who will jump as soon as he gets past the first weekend. Why, cause he a smart guy. And let’s not forget ur AD is one of us.
Cheers.....!! Schools of RUs size are on the same wavelength now. It's a difficult time for college sports fans who are stuck in the past, but the system has been trending away from the NCAA nonsense. It is what it is folks. Talent will land where the viewers and revenue typically go.

Cheers.....!! Schools of RUs size are on the same wavelength now. It's a difficult time for college sports fans who are stuck in the past, but the system has been trending away from the NCAA nonsense. It is what it is folks. Talent will land where the viewers and revenue typically go.
You may well be right. But we all know that in the end Rutgers will somehow be 3rd tier. Betting on Rutgers is challenging the very cosmos.

You may well be right. But we all know that in the end Rutgers will somehow be 3rd tier. Betting on Rutgers is challenging the very cosmos.
I know this sounds like cliché, but I have followed college sports since I was a kid and RU is really the only school of its size, that was always without a true revenue stream, compared to other public universities or other Power 5/6 schools.

Some schools lucked into being into the B1G decades ago (Northwestern) or the Pac 8 or 10 (Oregon State, Washington State) or the Big 8 (now Big 12) like perhaps Iowa State, Kansas State) and the SEC (Vanderbilt).

Almost all of these schools used to be punchlines for the top of their conferences and still are to a certain extent. But being in those conferences, eventually with revenue sharing generated by schools at the Top of those leagues, allowed other brands to grow.

RU being an Eastern Independent in football and A-10 in hoops just under 40 years ago, is one thing.....those leagues never generated revenue. Even getting the exposure to the Big East for both sports, didn't make up for the past 20 to 30 years where others like Pitt, Penn State, BC, Cuse, all gained traction.

This is the one time since 2014 through today, where the revenue finally starts to catch up to a large university in a very densely populated area. RU has never had the opportunity to shine.

So while many around the country see failed football and limited resources, you can't ask a poor guy, why he isn't wealthy or rich, without looking at the past or path. As revenues catch on at RU, 3rd tier status will be in the past. RU can only get better from here. Hoops as one quick example, should clearly tell fans what I've stated for years.....RU didn't have a lack of desire to be better, it takes money to do so.

I feel fairly confident RU sheds it's past image of the last 30 years in football, in the next 20 to 30 years. No reason it can't exceed Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, Iowa or even Nebraska as well. Being in the middle of the pack is step 1, then go from there. There's nothing like getting knocked around and finding out, how you bounce back.

RU (to me) is the next unwritten great story of college sports, triggered by growth and redemption. It's going to be something to witness the bumps and bruises during that climb as well.

• Haha
I know this sounds like cliché, but I have followed college sports since I was a kid and RU is really the only school of its size, that was always without a true revenue stream, compared to other public universities or other Power 5/6 schools.

Some schools lucked into being into the B1G decades ago (Northwestern) or the Pac 8 or 10 (Oregon State, Washington State) or the Big 8 (now Big 12) like perhaps Iowa State, Kansas State) and the SEC (Vanderbilt).

Almost all of these schools used to be punchlines for the top of their conferences and still are to a certain extent. But being in those conferences, eventually with revenue sharing generated by schools at the Top of those leagues, allowed other brands to grow.

RU being an Eastern Independent in football and A-10 in hoops just under 40 years ago, is one thing.....those leagues never generated revenue. Even getting the exposure to the Big East for both sports, didn't make up for the past 20 to 30 years where others like Pitt, Penn State, BC, Cuse, all gained traction.

This is the one time since 2014 through today, where the revenue finally starts to catch up to a large university in a very densely populated area. RU has never had the opportunity to shine.

So while many around the country see failed football and limited resources, you can't ask a poor guy, why he isn't wealthy or rich, without looking at the past or path. As revenues catch on at RU, 3rd tier status will be in the past. RU can only get better from here. Hoops as one quick example, should clearly tell fans what I've stated for years.....RU didn't have a lack of desire to be better, it takes money to do so.

I feel fairly confident RU sheds it's past image of the last 30 years in football, in the next 20 to 30 years. No reason it can't exceed Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, Iowa or even Nebraska as well. Being in the middle of the pack is step 1, then go from there. There's nothing like getting knocked around and finding out, how you bounce back.

RU (to me) is the next unwritten great story of college sports, triggered by growth and redemption. It's going to be something to witness the bumps and bruises during that climb as well.
ru will continue to be a unwritten story in the big 10 .

Agree you are finally getting some real revenue. All you’re lacking is a tradition of success. And I stick with my view you don’t get to the promised land in any of our lifetimes.

You gotta be kidding me. RU just got kicked down a few more rungs on the ladder with the Pac12 schools. I’ll grant you that you could move up in the bottom third of the conference, maybe reach #13. Not sure you can even get that high with the current coach.

BTW, hoops is a totally different animal. Pike did well to reach middle of the pack status for now. Let’s see how he does with the spotlight blaring down on him. It didn’t go well last year.

And their basketball coach is one of ours.
;)

Reactions: HallX2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT