ADVERTISEMENT

Conference realignment - Duke/UNC/Virginia

tpbtpb17

Recruit
Jan 16, 2020
Per one of the posters on the Boneyard (UConn forum) Duke, UNC and Virginia have contacted Big East officials about possible talks in joining the Big East. If this is true, I think we have to do all we can as a conference to bring them in. Florida State and Clemson are already trying to leave the ACC, it only makes sense that those primarily basketball-first schools are looking to hitch-on to their next best option at this point, if they can't get into the Big Ten or SEC like FL State and Clemson are attempting currently.

Also, Kentucky is allegedly offering Hurley 11 million per year/ 7 year contract. I hope that UConn will be able to keep him. If we keep Hurley in the Big East and somehow add a combo of Duke/UNC/Virginia, it will reinforce the strength of the conference. ACC may be the next to fall after the Pac-12 in this new wild wild west.

the Boneyard has one of the best and most active conference alignment message boards out there. Having said that, I can tell you their predictions for the future alignment are not even close to being accurate . Nor have they been over the past 12 years. But yet it's still fun to read. I think I read before the Big12 had a new deal that Kansas was inquiring about the BE, lol.
Regarding Hurley, as a fellow student athlete that was in his grade I knew both him and his wife just casually. Loyalty is more important to him than money and it's in his DNA and it's just his unique personality. As long as he is happy at UConn and is able to run the program the way he sees fit, he wouldn't leave even for 50 million a year. In the future if he feels like he is losing control such as an AD that wants to change the way things are done that he doesn't agree with, he would leave and go to a school for less money. He is just unique that way in a world where everyone associates more money with greater happiness, he doesn't.

It would be exciting, but not a great thing for SHU. Sure love to play Duke and or UNC at the Rock, but it’s hard enough to win on the road. Finishing 7th or 8th many years??

Reactions: catholicman
Per one of the posters on the Boneyard (UConn forum) Duke, UNC and Virginia have contacted Big East officials about possible talks in joining the Big East. If this is true, I think we have to do all we can as a conference to bring them in. Florida State and Clemson are already trying to leave the ACC, it only makes sense that those primarily basketball-first schools are looking to hitch-on to their next best option at this point, if they can't get into the Big Ten or SEC like FL State and Clemson are attempting currently.

Also, Kentucky is allegedly offering Hurley 11 million per year/ 7 year contract. I hope that UConn will be able to keep him. If we keep Hurley in the Big East and somehow add a combo of Duke/UNC/Virginia, it will reinforce the strength of the conference. ACC may be the next to fall after the Pac-12 in this new wild wild west.
This doesn’t make sense, especially at this point. If ACC blew up maybe, but those schools cannot leave right now they are locked in and they are actually fighting in court to stay locked in.

If ACC falls apart, could see Duke possibly to BE, but UNC and Virginia would seem perfect fit for B10.

This doesn’t make sense, especially at this point. If ACC blew up maybe, but those schools cannot leave right now they are locked in and they are actually fighting in court to stay locked in.

If ACC falls apart, could see Duke possibly to BE, but UNC and Virginia would seem perfect fit for B10.
Yes, because what southern team doesn’t just dream of going to a Midwest conference that hasn’t won a Natty in about 25 years!?

Yes, because what southern team doesn’t just dream of going to a Midwest conference that hasn’t won a Natty in about 25 years!?
Yup, all about football and money associated with that, and we all know lots of TV money going to B10 schools.

This makes no sense at all. I could see them wanting to try for B1G or SEC, but they’re in the same boat FSU and Clemson are in; need to have the courts rule on what the ACC GORs does or doesn’t cover long term and figure out if there is a Financial pay off that makes sense for the long term to bolt.

the Boneyard has one of the best and most active conference alignment message boards out there. Having said that, I can tell you their predictions for the future alignment are not even close to being accurate . Nor have they been over the past 12 years. But yet it's still fun to read. I think I read before the Big12 had a new deal that Kansas was inquiring about the BE, lol.
Regarding Hurley, as a fellow student athlete that was in his grade I knew both him and his wife just casually. Loyalty is more important to him than money and it's in his DNA and it's just his unique personality. As long as he is happy at UConn and is able to run the program the way he sees fit, he wouldn't leave even for 50 million a year. In the future if he feels like he is losing control such as an AD that wants to change the way things are done that he doesn't agree with, he would leave and go to a school for less money. He is just unique that way in a world where everyone associates more money with greater happiness, he doesn't.
Your comments are poignant and real, I would hope that all the posters who are anti Hurley see this. Good to have pure first hand info.

Reactions: statenman

Is it April 1st.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I just went back to the thread it was posted in on the Boneyard and it seems the post has since been deleted by a moderator. All that's left is a single reply of the quoted version.

However, the 11 million per year claim for Hurley re: Kentucky seems to have some validity to it, especially if you look at Rupp Rafters forum. That is an absurd number, I think literally more than double his current salary, but Kentucky seems hellbent on paying whatever number is necessary to get him. Seems Drew, Oates, or Donovan would be their next choice.

It would be exciting, but not a great thing for SHU. Sure love to play Duke and or UNC at the Rock, but it’s hard enough to win on the road. Finishing 7th or 8th many
If true now we know why Val was so circumspect. I for one am selling this rumor.

I just went back to the thread it was posted in on the Boneyard and it seems the post has since been deleted by a moderator. All that's left is a single reply of the quoted version.

However, the 11 million per year claim for Hurley re: Kentucky seems to have some validity to it, especially if you look at Rupp Rafters forum. That is an absurd number, I think literally more than double his current salary, but Kentucky seems hellbent on paying whatever number is necessary to get him. Seems Drew, Oates, or Donovan would be their next choice.
I know it’s different buckets that support the basketball budget, but a university of higher education paying a basketball coach $11 million while politicians are proposing student loan forgiveness for those that attended such schools. There’s some irony in there somewhere….

Reactions: shu09

First let me say I haven't seen it on The Boneyard, but I guess I could've missed it. Second let me say that somebody would have to explain the math to me because at first blush it makes no sense.

In all likelihood, even if the ACC blew up the leftovers in that conference would make more money than the big east does now, and, probably, more money than we will make after our next contract. As a rule, no one is leaving a conference, paying the exit fees, to come to someplace that can make less money.

Now, you can argue that that is exactly what Connecticut did, which is somewhat true, but the American was horrific for us. (If you take into account the money we get paid for our football TV contract and the money we save by not having the travel in the American, it's a lot closer to a wash and attendance probably makes up the difference.)

Improviser

JoinedApr 16, 2020Messages1,787Reaction Score2,913
Duke NC and Virginia have contacted Big East officials about leaving the ACC and joining next year.
This sounds like a topic for a separate thread.

Quality BB schools, but does it guarantee greater TV revenue or other tangible financial benefits within the structure of the Big East since those factors have been the impetus from many, for seeking another conference?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CL82: This is on the Boneyard

From the thread: "The Big East" started by poster Hurleyman216. The post in question is #32 on page 2 of said thread. The poster "Improviser" had quoted fellow poster "Khal Drogo" who had stated: "Duke NC and Virginia have contacted Big East officials about leaving the ACC and joining next year".

HOWEVER, that post has since been deleted (as I stated up above on this thread post #16), seemingly deservedly so as it seems to have no validity to it. With that being said, I apologize for jumping the gun on the word of a poster over at Boneyard without waiting for proper sources to back up his claim. I was obviously hoping it was true and caught up in possibly acquiring a couple of high-end programs to our conference, while not doing the due diligence and waiting for a credible source to back it up. This is my fault HallDan, and I dont want to further spread rumors without proper sources. Mea culpa.

Improviser

JoinedApr 16, 2020Messages1,787Reaction Score2,913

This sounds like a topic for a separate thread.

Quality BB schools, but does it guarantee greater TV revenue or other tangible financial benefits within the structure of the Big East since those factors have been the impetus from many, for seeking another conference?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CL82: This is on the Boneyard

From the thread: "The Big East" started by poster Hurleyman216. The post in question is #32 on page 2 of said thread. The poster "Improviser" had quoted fellow poster "Khal Drogo" who had stated: "Duke NC and Virginia have contacted Big East officials about leaving the ACC and joining next year".

HOWEVER, that post has since been deleted (as I stated up above on this thread post #16), seemingly deservedly so as it seems to have no validity to it. With that being said, I apologize for jumping the gun on the word of a poster over at Boneyard without waiting for proper sources to back up his claim. I was obviously hoping it was true and caught up in possibly acquiring a couple of high-end programs to our conference, while not doing the due diligence and waiting for a credible source to back it up. This is my fault HallDan, and I dont want to further spread rumors without proper sources. Mea culpa.
Found it. It hasn't been deleted.

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/the-big-east.199948/post-4960054

It is unsourced and probably was a joke like this post that says that Hawaii is the next ACC target.

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/non-key-tweets.36164/post-4960829

I can follow up if you want.

Last edited:
I think the original post isn't real - but here is one for you. The Power 5 Football schools are leaving the NCAA and forming their own 32 team organization. There will be four conferences with 8 teams each - North, South, Midwest & West. The draft 32 are as follows:

North - Clemson, Virginia Tech, Pitt, Miami, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Penn State

South - Alabama, Auburn, LSU, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Ole Miss, Tennessee

Midwest - Michigan, Ohio St., Notre Dame, Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas

West - Washington, USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Colorado, BYU, Arkansas

In the post NCAA world, Duke, VA and UNC will have plenty of time to think about joining the Big East

I think the original post isn't real - but here is one for you. The Power 5 Football schools are leaving the NCAA and forming their own 32 team organization. There will be four conferences with 8 teams each - North, South, Midwest & West. The draft 32 are as follows:

North - Clemson, Virginia Tech, Pitt, Miami, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Penn State

South - Alabama, Auburn, LSU, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Ole Miss, Tennessee

Midwest - Michigan, Ohio St., Notre Dame, Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas

In the post NCAA world, Duke, VA and UNC will have plenty of time to think about joining the Big East
This makes a lot of sense, but it won't happen because nobody's going to want to give up their existing power. Assuming it did though, I think the big east would be the target not the acquirer.

That's quite a haircut for the P5 since there were 68 teams in those five conferences (including the Pac-12) plus Notre Dame last year.

BYU makes the cut but Oklahoma State and Baylor don't. Not going to happen.

I can the see the concept happening but 32 schools isn't enough -- especially with a 14-team CFP where one spot goes to a non-P5 conference.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
This makes a lot of sense, but it won't happen because nobody's going to want to give up their existing power. Assuming it did though, I think the big east would be the target not the acquirer.
If the alignment posted above really were to happen, then all bets are off. But I agree with you, the B1G and the SEC giving up their dominant positions at the top of the sport? Not gonna happen.

The thing to watch IMO is the ACC GOR lawsuits. If somehow Florida State, Clemson and UNC can break way, that will trigger more domino type realignment.

Reactions: CL82
That's quite a haircut for the P5 since there were 68 teams in those five conferences (including the Pac-12) plus Notre Dame last year.

BYU makes the cut but Oklahoma State and Baylor don't. Not going to happen.

I can the see the concept happening but 32 schools isn't enough -- especially with a 14-team CFP where one spot goes to a non-P5 conference.
I gave BYU a courtesy inclusion since they did win a National Championship, but if you want to take them and Arkansas out for OK St and Baylor, I would agree.

The conferences aren't giving up power; they are losing it. Alabama and Michigan no longer have to share any football money with Vanderbilt or Rutgers. That is very appealing to those schools.

This is just a slightly larger example of what has already happened. UCLA and USC blew up 100 years of PAC-10 tradition for money. If the money is there, some variation of what I proposed is happening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT