ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Weston

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

de0c0c8f-d4c2-4d6b-b89c-82310e15d246-westonpic2.JPG

Maybe it's best to start this profile in Brandon Weston's own words.

On why he committed to Seton Hall:

At the end of the day, I picked them because they were the school that wanted me the most. They were the most consistent with me and they always made sure we were always on the same page.

Coach (Kevin) Willard really wanted me from day one, and he always did everything he could to get me.

One of the things that really stood out to me with Coach Willard was one Zoom call we had while he was on vacation. He couldn’t get a good wireless signal so he actually drove an hour away just to get a good signal so we could be on the Zoom. On vacation. That really showed me how bad he wanted me there.

Then, it’s just a beautiful campus and school. I can be closer to home and my family will be able to come and watch me play. I’m lucky that I was able to take an unofficial visit to the campus before the pandemic stopped everything. Of course, the pandemic made this whole process a lot harder because we couldn’t travel.

Honestly, all of the coaches (Duane Woodward was the lead) that recruited me were great so having to make this decision without being able to sit down with everyone in person was tough. In the end, for me, Seton Hall was just the best fit.

Their vision for me is to contribute right when I get to campus. They want me to come in and be a leader on the first day.

So now we know why Weston chose Seton Hall. But what did Seton Hall see in Weston to make the offer?

For starters Weston is a 4 star recruit and consensus top 75 player in the country who choose the Pirates over the likes of Creighton, Illinois, Wake Forrest, Michigan, Pittsburgh and others. Originally from NYC, last year he prepped at Hillcrest Prep in Phoenix AZ. There his season ended early after injuring his knee. An injury announced as not serious but bad enough to take precautions and not endanger his college basketball career.

Before that Weston, a big, physical guard at 6-foot-5, averaged 24 points and 10 rebounds at Chicago Morgan Park as a junior. A season that caught the eye of Hillcrest Prep's recruiting coordinator Nick Weaver, who said upon getting Weston and then hearing of his future commitment to the Big East school, "we are very happy for Brandon and his family. They are amazing people and Brandon will do great at Seton Hall. I believe he will be an All-Big East player for many years. Brandon has the ability to play in the NBA in the future."

Weston is known for his all around physical play. Both on offense and defense. “He has that New York mentality: always in attack mode,” one analyst was quoted as saying. “The Brooklyn Brawler,” his coach in Chicago once labeled him.

And as would be expected of a player with his ability he is very confident and expects to play major minutes despite the fact he will be a freshmen at SHU and facing the challenge of returning 2G starter Myles Cale and SF starter Jared Rhoden. Along with the influx of 5 other transfers and HS recruits.

Maybe the best way to describe Weston's expected impact is to quote SHU beat writer Jerry Carino who added the following....

1. He’s known for his aggressiveness.

In a YouTube breakdown of Weston’s game, widely followed analyst Ant Wright called Weston “very aggressive on both ends, very active on defense,” and praised his “relentless . . . fearless attitude.” Of Weston’s athleticism, Wright noted, “I love his explosion . . . defensively, it really helps him. Long arms . . . constantly irritating the offense with his motor.”

Offensively, Wright lauded Weston’s “great ability to finish above the rim. His ability to finish there by going over or through contact is a great sign of his confidence and physicality.”

After watching him with Chicago high school power Morgan Park this past season, PrepHoops.com wrote he “plays with a high motor” and “is explosive with the ball in his hands getting downhill whether it is in transition or the half court.”

Another observation from PrepHoops.com: “His rebounding set him apart from wings nationally.”

Weston averaged 24 points and 10 rebounds per game for Morgan Park in the Chicago Public League during the 2019-20 season.

After observing him last season, NBC Sports Chicago reported: “Weston earned stripes from fickle Chicago basketball fans by regularly diving for loose balls and winning 50/50 plays.”

2. He is versatile, but probably closer to a wing right now than a two-guard.

For rankings purposes, 247Sports lists Weston as a small forward. Others, including his coaches, have referred to him as a guard.

After he recently transferred to Hillcrest Prep, a national powerhouse located in Phoenix, the Arizona Republic quoted Hillcrest co-founder Nick Weaver calling Weston “an elite defender who can guard multiple positions.”

Weaver added, “He has an incredible ability to get to the bucket when he wants to. He is a big, physical guard."

In his YouTube breakdown, Wright’s only mild critique of Weston’s game: “His jump shot needs to get a little more consistent.”

In short much will be expected of the young man from Brooklyn. One of the highest ranked recruits in the Kevin Willard era. How quickly he responds from his knee issues and the fact that he will be a first year player will dictate his MPG and impact.

That will all start very shortly as Weston is expected to be on campus in the days to come to begin his Big East career.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News