ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: NEW COVID SPIKE IN EUROPE

shufan199_3

Junior
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2020
A new COVID spike is beginning in Europe. Scientists have mentioned this is due to the millions of people that are still unvaccinated in Europe. When will the unvaxxed learn? More unnecessary sickness and death will happen this winter.

There are also big concerns of a US spike as well.

This just in… no one cares about your lies, your obsession or your fake citizen of the millennium.

The pride of Howell! I hope you are well! Have a fantastic week ahead. I never understood your obsession with me. Its quite strange.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ecades-pandemic-according-nationwid-rcna53659

Whoever didn’t see this coming wasn’t paying attention. Unintended consequences of closing schools. Thank you teachers union…

How are you still pushing that despite the evidence to the contrary.

States which did not have school closures did not do better than states that did not. It wasn’t the school closures that caused the decline.

If the decline was driven by closures, that would not be the case.

How are you still pushing that despite the evidence to the contrary.

States which did not have school closures did not do better than states that did not. It wasn’t the school closures that caused the decline.

If the decline was driven by closures, that would not be the case.
Every state had closures, some longer than others.

Every state had closures, some longer than others.

Right, it was at the end of a school year for most and many states were fully open by the fall. Your argument just doesn’t hold up when you compare results of those states to states with extended closures.

If it was the closures that was the root cause, that would show up in that comparison. The fact that it doesn’t should be enough for you to rethink your belief.

Right, it was at the end of a school year for most and many states were fully open by the fall. Your argument just doesn’t hold up when you compare results of those states to states with extended closures.

If it was the closures that was the root cause, that would show up in that comparison. The fact that it doesn’t should be enough for you to rethink your belief.
We closed our schools for long periods…longer than we should have. It’s resulted in lower scores, delayed learning and social issues. Remote learning/hybrid classes went on for more than a year. Ask any teacher. Did you even read the article?

Last edited:
We closed our schools for long periods…longer than we should have. It’s resulted in lower scores, delayed learning and social issues. Remote learning/hybrid classes went on for more than a year. Ask any teacher.

Again… similar results in states without the restriction.

I’m not even arguing closures didn’t play a part. Of course they did, but this was a nationwide trend and not isolated to areas with more restrictions on schools. There is clearly something else contributing here beyond school closures or remote learning.

Again… similar results in states without the restriction.

I’m not even arguing closures didn’t play a part. Of course they did, but this was a nationwide trend and not isolated to areas with more restrictions on schools. There is clearly something else contributing here beyond school closures or remote learning.
Every state had restrictions. So your disagree with the news report.

Every state had restrictions. So your disagree with the news report.

Quite the opposite. Scores declined. I just disagree with where you are placing the blame.

“Areas that returned to the classroom quickly still saw significant declines, and cities — which were more likely to stay remote longer — actually saw milder decreases than suburban districts, according to the results.”

Quite the opposite. Scores declined. I just disagree with where you are placing the blame.

“Areas that returned to the classroom quickly still saw significant declines, and cities — which were more likely to stay remote longer — actually saw milder decreases than suburban districts, according to the results.”
Did you read the entire story or one sentence that you happen to agree with?

Contrast U.S. results with Sweden, which kept primary and secondary schools open throughout the pandemic.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0883035522000891

Last edited:
Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Did you read the entire story or one sentence that you happen to agree with?

I’m data driven. I read the story, then the actual NAEP results.

I looked at the state with the absolute least amount of in person instruction during the pandemic, California, and compared their results to the state with the absolute most amount of in person instruction, Florida.

Average results declined in both states but the decline was less in California.

Across the country, there was a small correlation though for math. Averaging around a drop between 2% for states with the most in person instruction to 3% for the states with the least. There was absolutely no correlation in the results for reading though. The correlations would be evident if closures were to blame.

That raised a red flag for me regarding the characterization that closures and remote learning were to blame. It should for you as well.

Contrast U.S. results with Sweden, which kept primary and secondary schools open throughout the pandemic.

That only looked at scores for English at grades 1-3. Our results at grade 4 reading were 1% lower than 2019.

Would need to see how Sweden did through grade 8 with math included for an accurate comparison.
Then if you're really looking for a comparison for Sweden, I'd compare how they did with their neighbors since they are much more culturally close and the only major difference would have been the timing and length of school closures.

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
I’m data driven. I read the story, then the actual NAEP results.

I looked at the state with the absolute least amount of in person instruction during the pandemic, California, and compared their results to the state with the absolute most amount of in person instruction, Florida.

Average results declined in both states but the decline was less in California.

Across the country, there was a small correlation though for math. Averaging around a drop between 2% for states with the most in person instruction to 3% for the states with the least. There was absolutely no correlation in the results for reading though. The correlations would be evident if closures were to blame.

That raised a red flag for me regarding the characterization that closures and remote learning were to blame. It should for you as well.

That only looked at scores for English at grades 1-3. Our results at grade 4 reading were 1% lower than 2019.

Would need to see how Sweden did through grade 8 with math included for an accurate comparison.
Then if you're really looking for a comparison for Sweden, I'd compare how they did with their neighbors since they are much more culturally close and the only major difference would have been the timing and length of school closures.
The overall numbers at this point are pointing directionally as to the effect of remote learning. I don't think looking at the state level is any more accurate as many decisions were made at the local/city level, so you can have certain areas that had different remote polices skew the numbers for the state.

This will be interesting to track over time, but the national results here are a red flag which was the gist of the story. I can't think of one educator or healthcare expert (even parents) I have spoken that hasn't echoed the negative observations they have seen in learning and social development that remote learning has created.

IMO, these test score declines are just the tip of the iceberg. You are asking for comparative data that just doesn't exist yet, but the directional and anecdotal information is beginning to tell the story that many had suggested.

The overall numbers at this point are pointing directionally as to the effect of remote learning.

They're really not though. They are directionally pointing as to the effect of a pandemic.
Nothing yet really to support the idea that these test scores would have been better if we went through a pandemic with kids in school.

I don't think looking at the state level is any more accurate as many decisions were made at the local/city level, so you can have certain areas that had different remote polices skew the numbers for the state.

You don't want to look at state by state data, yet a comparison to Sweden makes sense to you?

No one is arguing that closures and remote learning was a good thing. A pandemic going in waves taking the lives of hundreds of thousands of Americans each wave is going to cause disruptions though. Scores being down everywhere regardless of remote learning or not shows that there is a lot more to this.

They're really not though. They are directionally pointing as to the effect of a pandemic.
Nothing yet really to support the idea that these test scores would have been better if we went through a pandemic with kids in school.
So what do you think caused scores to decline more than any other period?
You don't want to look at state by state data, yet a comparison to Sweden makes sense to you?
Wouldn't country to country be an apples to apples comparison? Seems more directionally accurate than NYC vs. Stockholm.
No one is arguing that closures and remote learning was a good thing. A pandemic going in waves taking the lives of hundreds of thousands of Americans each wave is going to cause disruptions though. Scores being down everywhere regardless of remote learning or not shows that there is a lot more to this.
Scores in the U.S. where we had widespread remote learning vs. scores in Sweden where kids stayed in school and had no decline. (and if I recall, our mortality rates were very similar in both countries). For some reason you want to ignore this information along with news stories like the one I copied.

So what do you think caused scores to decline more than any other period?

The pandemic.

Wouldn't country to country be an apples to apples comparison? Seems more directionally accurate than NYC vs. Stockholm.

No. It wouldn't. Sweden is a small country and vastly different culturally than the US.
Compare them to their neighbors which shut schools down for a comparison if your focus is remote learning.

Scores in the U.S. where we had widespread remote learning vs. scores in Sweden where kids stayed in school and had no decline.

Again... Find the apples to apples comparison if you want to make it.
You are comparing grades 1-3 in Sweden to grade 4 and 8 in the US.

The pandemic.
Everyone was impacted by the pandemic. But Swedens test scores didn’t decline like ours.
No. It wouldn't. Sweden is a small country and vastly different culturally than the US.
Compare them to their neighbors which shut schools down for a comparison if your focus is remote learning.
The cultures are relative. Our kids regressed. Theirs didn’t.
Again... Find the apples to apples comparison if you want to make it.
You are comparing grades 1-3 in Sweden to grade 4 and 8 in the US.
Again….I’ve said it’s directional and you’re asking for comparative data that doesn’t exist yet. As time goes on there will be but early information supports the author.

I'd be interested in seeing how Catholic Schools compared to public schools in places like NY and NJ, since the Catholic Schools had more in-person instruction.

The pandemic.

A virus that barely affects children didn't cause this. What caused this was the incredibly poor decision to close schools and introduce "remote" learning. There was no reason to do any of that.

The cultures are relative. Our kids regressed. Theirs didn’t.

Since we don't have 8th grade or math scores available... If you want to just compare the reading results of 4th grade to Sweden's 1st to 3rd graders, the scores dropped 1% for US 4th graders in the US and your acting like our results are vastly different?

When you look into the district scores - NYC results in reading were the same as they were in 2019.
For 8th grade score, there was one district that went up in reading. LA... which was fully remote.

I'd be interested in seeing how Catholic Schools compared to public schools in places like NY and NJ, since the Catholic Schools had more in-person instruction.

4th grade math - no change from 2019
8th grade math - 2% decline from 2019
4th grade English - less than 1% decline from 2019
8th grade English - less than 1% increase from 2019

For comparison though, that is really in line with the results in the top 50th percentile around the country.
Top 10, 25 and 50 did about the same as 2019 but the bottom 50 really fell off.

Since we don't have 8th grade or math scores available... If you want to just compare the reading results of 4th grade to Sweden's 1st to 3rd graders, the scores dropped 1% for US 4th graders in the US and your acting like our results are vastly different?

When you look into the district scores - NYC results in reading were the same as they were in 2019.
For 8th grade score, there was one district that went up in reading. LA... which was fully remote.
You don’t understand apples to apples by country, do you? Cherry pick cities all you like. Even in those cities there were likely different policies between private and public schools. Again, from top line data so far, our scores regressed; theirs didn’t. Twist it all you like. Add anecdotal information from educators, health care experts and the author. You’re right…everyone else is wrong.

A virus that barely affects children didn't cause this. What caused this was the incredibly poor decision to close schools and introduce "remote" learning. There was no reason to do any of that.

Why is remote in quotations there?

The remote learning was par of it for sure. I think we can look back in hindsight and say it was the wrong decision. But these kids still had to live through this with many other issues which could influence how well they performed on a test regardless of if they were in class or not.

You don’t understand apples to apples by country, do you?

LOL... You have not once compared anything apples to apples here.
You compared Sweden's results for grades 1-3 to US results for grands 4 and 8.

Even in those cities there were likely different policies between private and public schools.

I cited district scores. Those are public school districts, not the entire city.

LOL... You have not once compared anything apples to apples here.
You compared Sweden's results for grades 1-3 to US results for grands 4 and 8.

I cited district scores. Those are public school districts, not the entire city.
So let me summarize this and end the circular argument:
You disagree with the article.
I agree with the article.

So let me summarize this and end the circular argument:
You disagree with the article.
I agree with the article.

Nope. I disagree with how you editorialized what the article said.
In fact, the article was even fairly explicit in the fact that the NAEP results did not show a connection between remote learning and the declined scores. You still summarized it here that way anyway though.

The fact is that all of these kids were impacted by the pandemic.

Whether that was being in school online, financial hardships, having friends, parents grandparents, caretakers and even teachers who died during the pandemic. None of us have lived through anything like waves where hundreds of thousands of people were dying at a time and you act like kids would have been unaffected if they were just in school.

I agree they should have been in school, but I believe there is much more to these scores dropping than the fact that some kids were remote.

I'm not excited for the decline, but in context, after living through something that none of us have ever lived through, scores dropped a couple percentage points but are still a fair amount above the scores from when anyone here was in school. They will be ok.

Nope. I disagree with how you editorialized what the article said.
In fact, the article was even fairly explicit in the fact that the NAEP results did not show a connection between remote learning and the declined scores. You still summarized it here that way anyway though.

The fact is that all of these kids were impacted by the pandemic.

Whether that was being in school online, financial hardships, having friends, parents grandparents, caretakers and even teachers who died during the pandemic. None of us have lived through anything like waves where hundreds of thousands of people were dying at a time and you act like kids would have been unaffected if they were just in school.

I agree they should have been in school, but I believe there is much more to these scores dropping than the fact that some kids were remote.

I'm not excited for the decline, but in context, after living through something that none of us have ever lived through, scores dropped a couple percentage points but are still a fair amount above the scores from when anyone here was in school. They will be ok.
Again…scores are down. EVERY educator, health care expert and parent with a school aged child I have spoken with over the last two years agrees that the remote learning has had a significant impact on learning and social development. I will continue to monitor results in countries like Sweden who kept kids in school.

Mental health interventions in children are up significantly as well. Children are resilient but we disrupted their lives more than we had to (including remote learning).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT