ADVERTISEMENT

Breakout

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
What player in your opinion needs to surpass expectations for the Hall to maximize their potential?

Do you go with a possible star in Delgado or Whitehead.

Or maybe a strong secondary player like Carrington or Desi?

Or do you think the above players are givens and you want someone to strongly contribute who might be an unknown at this time like Singh, Anderson, Ish or maybe Carter?

Anderson. He needs to perform a lot better than his college number so far. If he doesn't then Willard is forced to play freshman significant minutes or players out of position.

I think it's Desi or Singh. We need some sort of outside threat so teams don't pack it in on us. That would relieve all kinds of pressure on Whitehead and Delgado.

I always believe that the high quality players will perform to the stats on the back of their playing cards in the long run so with this type of question I look at the unknowns.

Power positions seem to be a weakness going into the season and thus a major need. Meaning to me someone from the group of Anderson, Ish, Carter or Nzei must step up.

Anderson will get first shot. He has potential and college experience so of the above group I'll go with him. But really any of the 4 players will do.

What player in your opinion needs to surpass expectations for the Hall to maximize their potential?

Or do you think the above players are givens and you want someone to strongly contribute who might be an unknown at this time like Singh, Anderson, Ish or maybe Carter?
I think Isaiah plays like an All American and rising water.....

We need Whitehead & Delgado to play like 1st & 2nd team All BE performers.

We need Carrinngton & Desi to average double figures.

I think Singh is our next best offensive player so I'll go with him.

I agree with you Dan but I'll go with Carter.
We all saw Carter play on ESPN last year and frankly he looked very bad.

But FWIW in our Trove interview he noted that he had missed the previous 3 games with a back injury. I believe he said he was undercut and fell on his back. The ESPN game was his first contest coming back from the injury and he probably shouldn't have played but he didn't want to miss the televised game.

Carter has a wingspan of over 7 feet and he is a legitimate 6-9. Certainly the 3 star big man is one to keep an eye on.

ESPN Analyst
Updated 03/23/2015

Strengths:
A big body with a broad frame and ample strength in both his upper and lower body, Carter has the physical tools to be very productive on the interior. He doesn't mind contact inside the lane and gives a fairly wide target when posting up. He has more ability to pass out of the post than most young bigs and will also run the floor with long strides. Defensively, he protects the rim aggressively, challenging shots and dribble drivers alike.

Weaknesses:
Still a bit raw offensively, Carter needs to establish a go to move in the post as well as a dependable counter while also working to soften his hands. Defensively, he has a tendency to over-commit with his feet, thus opening driving lanes to the basket when he isn't able to come up with the block.

Bottom Line:
He's a well developed physical prospect who knows what he is and embraces playing inside the paint on both ends of the floor.

Like other posters we need IW and AD to play really well. I think Carrington is better than most think he is and he will become a consistent scorer for us. None of those players are a surprise though. I agree with Dan that we need a surprise contributor to come from the Anderson, Ish, Carter group. That will be huge.

But I think Singh will be the surprise of this team this year. His rep is he plays very hard and is a great shooter. If you look at our team the two big question marks offensively are outside shooting and scoring down low from the bigs. Singh is going to help us fill the void we have in the outside shooting category and Willard loves the outside shooter. So my thoughts are Singh is gonna be the guy to surpass expectations based on need and based on how much our coach likes to let the outside shooters let it go - those two factors will lead to more PT for the kid and he will be our surprise.

...........But I think Singh will be the surprise of this team this year.
ESPN Analyst
Updated 03/02/2015

Strengths:
Singh's motor is his calling card as he plays extremely hard on both ends of the floor and makes things happen as a result. Offensively, he runs hard in transition, goes hard to the offensive glass, is a consistent floor spacer and shooter to the three-point line, and also a frequent visitor to the free-throw line because of how aggressively he plays in contact. Defensively, he can check multiple positions, has enough wiry strength to bang with bigger players on the post, is very aggressive hedging ball-screens on the perimeter, and gets his hands on a lot of balls.

Weaknesses:
Singh is best suited as a complimentary piece offensively and can struggle when trying to do too much offensively. He doesn't handle the ball well enough to create his own shot with any type of consistency and is generally the type of player whose points are going to come either at the rim or when in rhythm from behind the three-point line.

Bottom Line:
He's an ideal role player because he has a fantastic motor, is a hard-nosed and versatile defender, who can help provide spacing on the offensive end and make open shots to the three-point line.

i would say Anderson. Even if IW or Desi or Angel or KC surpasses expectations we still fall short of being a tourney team unless one of the players to fill the other power position gives us what we need. Of all the candidates, just based on his maturity and his experience I think ( fingers crossed ) he'll give us what we need.

Last edited:
ISH. He is tough, he is from Newark and he is literally growing into his body. If Willard gives him a chance this year unlike last year, I think he will exceed expecations. Though most power players under perform with Willard since he doesn't how how, when, or where to use them. He is a good rebounder and a great on ball defender. He also is a junkyard dog. As long as he learns a power move or two, I think he can be the biggest surprise on the team.

Reactions: Section112
Whitehead needs to play like an all Big East 1st teamer and MVP candidate. He has the ability to make everyone around him better. IMO he's the one guy that can elevate this team to another level with his play.

i would say Anderson. .

ESPN Analyst
Updated 04/09/2013

Strengths:
This strong, well-built power forward is an intriguing guy who could really make a jump over the high school season. He was able to establish himself as an inside/outside guy who can step out to make the 15-18' jump shot. He has good hands that allow him to catch and finish balls around the rim. Braeden has all the tools to be an animal on the glass, but does not pursue the ball like he is capable. His upside is undeniable.

Weaknesses:
He needs to learn how to better utilize his physical gifts as he tends to stand up defensively and fancies himself as more of a pick-and-pop player when he could be a potentially-devastating pick-and-roll option. However, for him to move up the ladder he must continue to improve his skill level. He lacks any back to the basket moves he can go to, and surprisingly, did not rebound the ball well.

Bottom Line:
He has the size and athleticism that leads to a high major power forward, but he has some work still to do. Playing in the states can only help the Canadian import improve; keep your eye on this guy to see if his improvement leads to higher level recruitment.

ISH. He is tough, he is from Newark and he is literally growing into his body.
ESPN Analyst
Updated 02/10/2014

Strengths:
Sanogo is a long and active forward who can make things happen on both ends of the floor. He handles the ball very well for a forward and is capable of facing up to create his own shot both from the perimeter as well as the mid-post. He's also capable of taking the ball off the defensive glass and pounding out to start the break. He's very active defensively, quick with his rotations, and able to get lots of deflections. He brings an aggressive mentality to the glass and has quick enough feet to potentially be able to defend multiple positions.

Weaknesses:
He doesn't have a true position offensively. While he's most comfortable putting the ball on the floor, his lack of a consistent jump shot limits him at the small forward spot while he's undersized, and fairly lean through his core, to play the four-spot in the Big East. He needs to work hard to become a better shooter, and also get stronger without sacrificing any of his quickness.

Bottom Line:
Sanogo has unique tools and the ability to contribute on both ends. The fact that he has a good motor and plays consistently hard is also encouraging, but he might not be ready to make an immediate impact as a freshman for Seton Hall.

Breakout can mean different things to different people.

For me, IW, AD &KC are already the best players and will all naturally improve.

We will continue to throw Anderson, Ish, Carter or Nzei at PF until one "breaks out". Picking one is hard (Anderson is the most logical choice) but any will do.

My answer to the question as posed by Dan is Desi. DR will be playing SF, his preferred position, and he needs to have improved both his outside shooting and handle. If he doesn't break out, that puts enormous pressure on Singh to be really good right off the bat. We don't have a viable third candidate at SF.

Reactions: shupat08
I'm with knowknow, to me it's Desi. WF may be his "preferred" position but he's never played it and from what I've seen, really needs to improve his WF skills like ballhandling and shooting.

If he can't do it.................

Reactions: shupat08
When we interviewed Desi's coach at Lincoln last year on the Trove he told us Rodriquez was ticketed to come to Lincoln (his junior year) to play the wing (2G and SF). But he said because of need D-Rod had to play center. So for those two years plus the following at SHU Rodriquez has sacrificed for his teams. Admirable, but not conducive to improving at the SF position.

Clearly that has set back the 6-5 forward. How much so will be seen now that he has the chance to finally play his natural position.

You are only as good as you're weakest link. The big four have proven that they are BE level talent, and while any one of them exceeding expectations is important, if we can't find a big that can play quality minutes (real defense and rebounding), it exposes our lack of height, team defense and will make Delgado play too conservative. It's a lot to ask for a freshman or first year player to play significant quality minutes (Carter or Ish). I don't see Anthony having the talent to think he can make a jump as well. Anderson seems like the most natural...had talent, but just needs to show it.

Ish would technically be a 2nd year player. Nzei would be a first year player.

When we interviewed Desi's coach at Lincoln last year on the Trove he told us Rodriquez was ticketed to come to Lincoln (his junior year) to play the wing (2G and SF).

I find that hard to believe seeing as Desi was much bulkier back then than he is now.

I will take the Trove comments at face value. The bottom line is outside shooting and ball handling are good skills to be working on, no matter what position you ultimately play. In my observation last year, DR's skills in these areas could be improved.Let's hope he has a breakout year.

I find that hard to believe seeing as Desi was much bulkier back then than he is now.
Why would the coach lie to our writer?

Yes Rodriquez was heavier but according to the Rivals SJU monitor Maurice Wingate he told me that Rodriquez was in the process at that time of losing weight so he could excel at the wing.

All of the above. I think Whitehead playing above and beyond expectations would be the most impactful. However, it's going to take a lot more than one player surpassing expectations to help the team maximize their potential. Way too much "IF" with this team and not enough "IS" and "ARE".

Reactions: pmulcahy96
I will take the Trove comments at face value. The bottom line is outside shooting and ball handling are good skills to be working on, no matter what position you ultimately play. In my observation last year, DR's skills in these areas could be improved.Let's hope he has a breakout year.
That shows how deceptive watching a few workouts can be.

Before the season started I watched 3 practices. In that small sample without hesitation I would tell you D-Rod was easily our best three point shooter. I only remember him missing one shot (in and out) out of about 10 from the arc.

After the third practice was over I went up to him and said do you ever miss from range. He smiled and said he had worked on his outside shooting all summer.

He then preceded to hit one of twelve for the year, albeit playing the 4.

Breakout has different meanings. I think IW, AD & KC are reliable.

1) Desi needs to break out into a legit starter.
2 & 3) 2 of Anderson, Ish, Nzei, Anthony, Carter need to breakout. One as a starter and one as a legit backup at PF/C.
4) 1 of Gordon, Singh, Soffer needs to breakout as a legit scoring option off the bench at the WG/WF spot.

So, in reality. We don't need 1 player to breakout. In order to have a legitimately successful season we need about 4 players to breakout (at different levels of course.).

For me it is whoever is playing next to Delgado.

If any of our forwards have a breakout year, like 12 pts and 8 boards a game with solid defense then we could end up being a pretty decent team. If no one steps up there, Delgado will be less effective and we will only be as good as our guards shooting percentage.

I think the answer has to be Anderson. This team lacks in front court defense and offense. Here is a guy who is the presumed starter that has averaged 2 ppg. If by some miracle Anderson has a break out year and I mean averaging 10-12 ppg offense and around 6-7 rebounds a game, then the Hall has potential to do some serious damage.

When I think about my answer, this can be said for any player that will play the four so you can add either Carter, Ish or Nzei here as well.

Cern, not sure we will be getting 10-12 PPG from Anderson. At least sight unseen that's what I believe.

My hope is that he can be a rebounding force and play strong interior D. If he does that and adds a few points as well, just enough to keep the opposing defenses honest I would be very happy.

I think the answer has to be Anderson. This team lacks in front court defense and offense. Here is a guy who is the presumed starter that has averaged 2 ppg. If by some miracle Anderson has a break out year and I mean averaging 10-12 ppg offense and around 6-7 rebounds a game, then the Hall has potential to do some serious damage.

When I think about my answer, this can be said for any player that will play the four so you can add either Carter, Ish or Nzei here as well.
I believe the 4 are given that will start. in order of needing to step up ...

1. Anderson - Rebounding & Defense
2 Singh - scoring off the bench
2. Nezi - rebounding & Defense
3. Carter - Rebounding & Defense

Cern, not sure we will be getting 10-12 PPG from Anderson. At least sight unseen that's what I believe.

My hope is that he can be a rebounding force and play strong interior D. If he does that and adds a few points as well, just enough to keep the opposing defenses honest I would be very happy.
Anderson will be a 15-18 mpg if they feel he deserves to start.

I agree with your assessment. Unfortunately, that won't cut it. We lost Gibbs and Mobley. That is a lot of points to lose and we were bad last year. What is this year going to look like if someone at the PF position doesn't "step it up"? If Anderson starts and gives us 4 points, what will that do for the team? Nothing.

This whole thread was a wish of what needs to happen for the Hall to have a good season. I understand what awaits us for this season. And to quote Clubber Lange. "Pain"

Point are obviously important. But just as important is finding a defensive rebounding force to play next to Delgado.

Sure losing Gibbs and Mobley hurts us offensively. But they were not good defenders and gave away many points on the other end of the court.

If you score 15 and your man does likewise unless he is better than you that's not a good tradeoff.

Personally if someone could guarantee me 8 points, 7 rebounds and good D from Anderson in a starting role I would take that in a heartbeat.

The reality is that 90% of our offensive sets points will need to come from IW, KC, AD and DR. That's sobering and likely we will play games in the 60's and low 70's for the most part. That means they all have to avg. double figures and two of them between 15-20 ppg.

There is no one, other than Singh, that you can count on for consistent offense. Anderson is not going to avg 12, not even 8. He is protection for Delgado and he HAS to rebound and play defense. Makes no difference whether he gets 2 or 6 points a game if he doesn't do the first two things.

The reality is that 90% of our offensive sets points will need to come from IW, KC, AD and DR. That's sobering and likely we will play games in the 60's and low 70's for the most part. That means they all have to avg. double figures and two of them between 15-20 ppg.

There is no one, other than Singh, that you can count on for consistent offense. Anderson is not going to avg 12, not even 8. He is protection for Delgado and he HAS to rebound and play defense. Makes no difference whether he gets 2 or 6 points a game if he doesn't do the first two things.

Assume the following
Whitehead 18 ppg
Delgado 15 ppg
Carrington 13 ppg
DRod 10 ppg
That's only 56 points with these four having tremendous offensive production. (And I don't see all four having this type of big time production.) There needs to get an additional 14 ppg from Anderson and from the bench just to get to 70. This team needs to average at least 70 to be competitive. I just don't see it happening without a big year from a PF like Anderson or Carter.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT