ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Bowen to South Carolina

Not surprising. Goes from one dirty program to another. The Bowen's are getting their money one way or another.

Can't stop the cash flow within this silly system. NCAA knows this and doesn't mind. Laughs all the way to back themselves.

I’ve got to think this is a dumb move by a Frank Martin. He is lucky his name isn’t already in the news for some of South Carolina’s previous shenanigans with he former assistant coach. He must be thinking he is in the clear from the FBI investigation.

Martin is having another down season. He got to the FF a tremendous accomplishment but his overall record outside of that is not overly impressive. Guess he needed a player, but it stinks. His former asst has been indicted I think.

Martin is having another down season. He got to the FF a tremendous accomplishment but his overall record outside of that is not overly impressive. Guess he needed a player, but it stinks. His former asst has been indicted I think.

Yes, frank martins former asst was indicted and for most of his years of the investigation he was with Martin at south carlina just not the last one. It’s why some here think Silva was one of the players in the FBI report, all speculation of course.

Can't stop the cash flow within this silly system. NCAA knows this and doesn't mind. Laughs all the way to back themselves.
That's the problem I have when people question our recruiting or the ability of the staff to close? A recruit can get paid 100K at school A, or he can go to school who is offering much less. Granted I can't imagine we don't bend the rules but these other schools go beyond breaking them. It's not our staff's ability to close, its the fact we don't have the capital to close that these other programs do. Give Willard and staff the same off the books budget that these other schools get, I wouldn't doubt we'd be top 10 every year. But in the meantime we blame, point fingers at, and get pissed at the staff because a kid chose 100K over us. Is it really that shocking???? With all the NYC kids, I'm sure we can get them at a discount to stay home, but you can't offer a kid one twentieth of what other schools are offering and say come here and think it's really going to happen.

Knowing when to move on with this investigation is important. The FBI obviously has many more important things to accomplish. But admittedly it's been very disappointing to date that all the threats originally made by the feds pertaining to how much info they had and how they would clean up the many misgivings in recruiting have borne little fruit.

Knowing when to move on with this investigation is important. The FBI obviously has many more important things to accomplish. But admittedly it's been very disappointing to date that all the threats originally made by the feds pertaining to how much info they had and how they would clean up the many misgivings in recruiting have borne little fruit.

The problem with this investigation is that there is little or no interest from the general public in the fact that players are paid to commit to a particular school and it is way down near the bottom of what they consider important for federal prosecutors and law enforcement personnel to devote their time and resources to. When you add into the equation that there is no federal statute that prohibits an athlete from taking money from a booster and no federal crime by the booster either you can understand why the investigation has fizzled out. I should also point out that the defendants from Addias have filed a motion that they committed no federal crime and argue that the monies paid were typical of a finders fee and have asked that the charges against them be dismissed. The Judge is currently considering their motions and has not ruled on them .

From early on I was skeptical of the extent of the probe and if anyone or any institution beyond the people originally indicted would been drawn in. What turned me into a pessimist on this was the impunity with which Arizona closed ranks behind Miller. Yes they had to let Quinnerly go but that appears to be about it. Who cares about the assistant coach.

The surprise in all this is that Louisville finally had had enough with Pitino and Jurich and used the FBI findings to get rid of them. Good riddance.

Reactions: SHUMA04
Sad if true about the FBI investigation to be over or not lead to much more cleaning up. Even sadder fact is that the NCAA has no teeth. I’m still pissed about the North Carolina outcome.

Reactions: catholicman
finally clicked on link to article, really poor journalism. The deadspin article failed to link the former south Carolina assistant coach Lamont Jordan. The freaking guy worked at USC till April of 2016 and actually met with Dawkins and Sood to finalize kickback parameters in April in Columbia,South Carolina for which the case was all about. Really disappointed that the author couldn't link that.

Sad if true about the FBI investigation to be over or not lead to much more cleaning up. Even sadder fact is that the NCAA has no teeth. I’m still pissed about the North Carolina outcome.

And just think... If this simply goes away... It will be the wild west, with no worry of ramifications

The investigation is still ongoing and I fully expect a lot of big name coaches to go down.

The first indictments only came down a few months ago and this is a long way from over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT