ADVERTISEMENT

Brother of prized Texas recruit Mohamed Bamba alleges NCAA violations

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Brother of prized Texas recruit Mohamed Bamba alleges NCAA violations involving financial advisor
t
By Rob DausterJun 29, 2017, 8:12 AM EDT

Prized Texas recruit Mohamed Bamba was accused by his older brother in a rambling, profanity-laden FaceBook video of having accepted cash and gifts from a financial advisor in Michigan.

Ibrahim Johnson, a 6-foot-7 forward whose basketball career ended at Division II Montevallo, posted the 22-minute video on Wednesday afternoon. Shirtless and sitting poolside, Johnson alleged that Bamba accepted $200 a week in cash, vacations and gifts, including a California king size bed, from Greer Love, who is a vice president at Huron Capital. Love has degrees from Indiana and Michigan and previously worked at Watch Hill Partners, an Investment Bank in New York, according to his Huron Capital bio.

“He’s not going to play this year in the NCAA because I already reported him to the NCAA and I’m already going to meet with the NCAA,” said Johnson. “He’s not going to play this year. I’m not going to lie to you. I exposed that kid.”

The impetus for Johnson’s decision to turn Bamba in was a rift between the family that he alleges was caused by Love. Johnson was planning on following Bamba to whatever school he chose, enrolling in graduate school there and taking classes to become an NBA agent to represent Bamba. Bamba, according to Johnson, cut him out of the process. This is his revenge.

“We’re aware of the recent social media post regarding our men’s basketball student-athlete Mohamed Bamba,” a Texas spokesman told NBC Sports. “As is usual practice by the NCAA, Mo’s amateur status was previously reviewed and final certified by the NCAA Eligibility Center. The NCAA has not informed us of any pending issues or eligibility concerns at this time regarding Mo. If there are further questions, we certainly will cooperate with the NCAA to the fullest.”

Love, who is referred to here as Bamba’s mentor, is listed as being “actively involved in “Locke’s Lions”, an academic and athletic mentorship program for students who attended Public School 208 in Harlem.” Public School 208 is named Alain L. Locke Elementary. In 2009, a fifth-grader from Locke named Mohamed Bamba had a letter to President Obama published in Newsweek.

Bamba is a top five prospect in the Class of 2017 and a potential top ten pick in the 2018 NBA Draft. At 7-foot with a 7-foot-9 wingspan, Bamba projects as an elite defensive presence at any level of the sport. His addition, assuming he remains eligible this season, is expected to anchor the Longhorn defense and make Texas an NCAA tournament team.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports....-ncaa-violations-involving-financial-advisor/

Texas responds to allegations from brother of prized recruit Mohamed Bamba
JeffEisenberg70-jpg_202637.jpg

Jeff Eisenberg
The DaggerJun 29, 2017, 2:06 AM

c73651176e767e3428f5ad414de0b26b

Mohamed Bamba chose Texas over Duke, Kentucky and Michigan. (AP)

The university issued a statement to Yahoo Sports late Wednesday night acknowledging it was aware of the allegations while also noting it had not yet been contacted by the NCAA about any potential eligibility issues regarding Bamba.

“As is usual practice by the NCAA, Mo’s amateur status was previously reviewed and final certified by the NCAA Eligibility Center,” the statement from Texas read. “The NCAA has not informed us of any pending issues or eligibility concerns at this time regarding Mo. If there are further questions, we certainly will cooperate with the NCAA to the fullest.”

Johnson said Love caused a rift to form between him and his younger brother after he disclosed that he intended to become a sports agent and represent Bamba. Going public with these accusations was apparently Johnson’s way of getting revenge on Bamba for siding with Greer instead of him.

“He’s not going to play this year in the NCAA because I already reported him to the NCAA and I’m already going to meet with the NCAA,” said Johnson, a former basketball player at Division II University of Montevallo. “He’s not going to play this year. I’m not going to lie to you. I exposed that kid.”

A consensus top-five prospect in the 2017 class known best for his shot-blocking prowess and 7-foot-9 wingspan, Bamba is projected to be selected in the upper half of the NBA draft lottery next summer. He chose Texas last month over fellow finalists Kentucky, Duke and Michigan, which happens to be Love’s alma mater.

Landing Bamba was a massive coup for third-year Texas coach Shaka Smart. Bamba is the centerpiece of a top-five recruiting class expected to vault the Longhorns back to national prominence after a disastrous 22-loss season a year ago.

If eligible, Bamba will immediately step into the Texas starting lineup in place of last year’s leading scorer and rebounder Jarrett Allen, who left for the NBA draft. He projects as a capable low-post scorer and an intimidating last line of resistance in Smart’s trademark pressure defense.

https://sports.yahoo.com/texas-resp...a-060646692.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

Never said he was. Just said he's doing what he doing out of spite and that's a bad reason for motivation.

Obviously if his pockets were being lined with cash he wouldn't be so eager to spill the beans on his brother. Something he could have done far earlier if he wanted to.

If he was going to fabricate a story, you'd think he'd come up with something better than $200/ a week in cash and a king size bed. If that's all it took.... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
What a sh-t show. Unreal.

As the saying goes, you can pick your friends, but you cannot pick your family.

Interesting twist to this story is that the financial adviser who is alleged to have provided the extra benefits is in Michigan but Bamba picked Texas over Michigan one of his finalists .

Last edited:
Just to Clarify is Greer Love an agent too or just a financial advisor? It was a bit ambiguous when they said that Bamba decided to go with Love instead of his brother who is trying to become an NBA agent. What was Love's motivation for the gifts - trying to obtain Bamba as a future client as a financial advisor and/or agent? Or simply trying to coax Bamba to go to Michigan since that is his alma mater?

Two different potential scenarios at play here. Bamba could be ineligible this year for Texas and Michigan could be the subject of an NCAA investigation if Love was providing extra benefits in an effort to get Bamba to commit to Michigan.

Yea but how do you prove that? If he was a financial advisor (and agent?) he may have been giving improper benefits in an effort to secure a future client. I don't know how you pin that on Michigan. I think they would have plausible deniability.

Yea but how do you prove that? If he was a financial advisor (and agent?) he may have been giving improper benefits in an effort to secure a future client. I don't know how you pin that on Michigan. I think they would have plausible deniability.

Under the NCAA rules A booster can be deemed to be classified as a " representative of the institutions athletic interest if he makes a donation in order to secure season tickets, makes a contribution to any organization to further the school's athletic interests or program , and other similar findings. If he fell under the definition of a representative of the athletic interests of Michigan that could be the issue that brings Michigan into the picture.

Well, someone won't be invited to the family holiday party. The NCAA investigation will be concluded well after Bamba's NBA Rookie contract expires.

Yes. If there is a paper trail connecting him to Michigan athletics this could get muddy for them.

If he was going to fabricate a story, you'd think he'd come up with something better than $200/ a week in cash and a king size bed. If that's all it took.... ;)
Reminds me of Jose Canseco - a reprehensible human being, but details were so specific (& he shows zero remorse) that it's very believable. For a HS kid, $200/wk & a bed that you fit in is nice walking around money.

Reminds me of Jose Canseco - a reprehensible human being, but details were so specific (& he shows zero remorse) that it's very believable. For a HS kid, $200/wk & a bed that you fit in is nice walking around money.

If you read the article I added, you would have learned that this relationship has already been cleared. He has known the kid for over 8 years. The half brother is wanted on numerous charges. Nothing to see here.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
If you read the article I added, you would have learned that this relationship has already been cleared. He has known the kid for over 8 years. The half brother is wanted on numerous charges. Nothing to see hear.

Agree, if that story is accurate, there is nothing there.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Wonder if brother Johnson would have contacted the NCAA with his story if he was getting the economic windfall he expected?

Guys sounds like scum.

Of course not. There is no fight as nasty as a family fight.

His brother probably helped him. No risk of injury if he doesn't play and then gets drafted

True but Texas might have a clawback agreement in place that if he doesn't play full season they will recoup the $100k they paid him to go to Texas ;););)......I kid I kid.

Just another example of the crazy world of college basketball recruiting. You are almost never recruiting just the player. You have to find a way to navigate, sell, or try not to piss off a whole range of people from advisers, mentors, AAU coaches, HS coaches, Moms, Dads, girlfriends, half-brothers, best friend's uncle's neighbor's nephew, etc.

Shocking to read a top 5 player and his family received gifts. I was sure recruiting elite players was clean.

I'm curious if the product of college basketball would decline if they got rid of the one and done and built up the D-League which would mean many more 4 year players leading the way. Truth of the matter is the business is putting kids 17 and under, not involved in the business yet, in difficult spots. What 17 and under kid is going to say no to 100K+? Unless you were born into money, you are taking it. If the player had the option to make league minimum he'd laugh at a 100K offer.

Shocking to read a top 5 player and his family received gifts. I was sure recruiting elite players was clean.

I'm curious if the product of college basketball would decline if they got rid of the one and done and built up the D-League which would mean many more 4 year players leading the way. Truth of the matter is the business is putting kids 17 and under, not involved in the business yet, in difficult spots. What 17 and under kid is going to say no to 100K+? Unless you were born into money, you are taking it. If the player had the option to make league minimum he'd laugh at a 100K offer.

Well a lot of that is the question, would the NBA be willing to start really paying for a true minor league system as MLB and NHL currently have?

Even if they did, would they pay kids $100K/year or much less?
Would they develop players as well in D-League vs NCAA?
Would kids to willing to bus to different locations with minimal crowds vs NCAA private charters in front of 10-15K fans a game?

play for a mill overseas one year and enter the draft the next. If is possible that becomes the norm if college makes a player stay 2-3 years. The NCAA would really screw itself then

Well a lot of that is the question, would the NBA be willing to start really paying for a true minor league system as MLB and NHL currently have?

Even if they did, would they pay kids $100K/year or much less?
Would they develop players as well in D-League vs NCAA?
Would kids to willing to bus to different locations with minimal crowds vs NCAA private charters in front of 10-15K fans a game?

Having for a true minor league system is ideal. Who's going to fund it is another story.

I'm almost getting to a point where I think the NCAA should solely focus and specialize in academic qualifications of student athletes. Let recruiting be no holds barred. If a schools alums wants to pay an athlete, let them. There's no way a typical SEC school alums could compete $$$ nationally in football, basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, etc. After a while the major alums are going to tell kids to go to hell as the price rises. And once everything blows up, maybe everyone will come together and work on creating rules that work for everyone.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT