ADVERTISEMENT

Bruce Pearl likely turning off some recruits

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYShoreGuy

All Universe
Gold Member
Jan 7, 2006
This is not a political post from this poster on this forum. I do not believe that NIL can mask how a representative of a university in a well paid role impacts how recruits and their families may feel about said post. Imho he is negatively recruiting against himself.

• Angry
Reactions: silkcitypirate
This will have zero impact. It’s not recruiting anymore, it procurement.
Disagree with this take. While it certainly is not as impactful, with paying players now… it could hurt recruiting. If you said very little impact, would agree.

Disagree with this take. While it certainly is not as impactful, with paying players now… it could hurt recruiting. If you said very little impact, would agree.
characterizing 15, 16, 17 or 18 year olds to have political affiliations to get in the way of their prospectus for a coach who can get you into the NBA is absurd.

Politics was hardly a thought for most high schoolers prior to the 2016 election. Normalizing this thought process is so bad on every level

Reactions: Seton75
Politics shouldn't be a deterrent for a relationship unless it's based on what you value. I think as people's knowledge and views are easily accessible, kids might have some basic principles that's gonna make them look at the more quieter of evils (that evil is the monster NIL has become btw)

This.

Nobody cares what his political views are. And regardless, what does it have to do with him being a good basketball coach?

It will be a rare kid if it impacts anyone, not to mention I'll bet Pearl has someone equally as good looking for the type of money they are offering waiting for an offer from their NIL.

This is not a political post from this poster on this forum. I do not believe that NIL can mask how a representative of a university in a well paid role impacts how recruits and their families may feel about said post. Imho he is negatively recruiting against himself.

Its comical to see your blatant racism on display thinking black kids will automatically vote for someone because they are close in skin color.

characterizing 15, 16, 17 or 18 year olds to have political affiliations to get in the way of their prospectus for a coach who can get you into the NBA is absurd.

Politics was hardly a thought for most high schoolers prior to the 2016 election. Normalizing this thought process is so bad on every level
You missed the point. Nobody is characterizing that. Also what “should be” and “what is” are two different things. And nothing I say will change that. Let me help you here.

Can parents, families, advisors, former coaches, friends influence a college choice….yes, less than before, but still yes.

Can any of the stakeholders above be political? Or have strong feelings especially in today’s climate. Yes of course.

Can the player be raised with biases in one political direction by parents/family/community that is political? possibly but doesn’t have to if the second question is a yes.

Is it possible the the player or anyone of influence in their circle, believes the extreme opposite of Pearl? Yup.

Therefore…yes it is possible it could hurt recruiting, and absurd to think otherwise…

Last edited:
It will be a rare kid if it impacts anyone, not to mention I'll bet Pearl has someone equally as good looking for the type of money they are offering waiting for an offer from their NIL.
Who knew there were so many Pearl fans here? I mean before knowing his political leanings he didn’t seem like the slimiest of car salesman you ever met, right? 🤪

Just kidding, you likely aren’t a Pearl fan.

You are right though, that Auburn likely has top 5 NIl to pay and for anyone that passes they are likely to get someone of similar ability to take his place. But this could make it a bit harder for those top players with similar offers at other places. It is possibly it could hurt. I don’t think it will be as rare as you think so overall it was a dumb move by our slimy friend.

You missed the point. Nobody is characterizing that. Also what “should be” and “what is” are two different things. And nothing I say will change that. Let me help you here.

Can parents, families, advisors, former coaches, friends influence a college choice….yes, less than before, but still yes.

Can any of the stakeholders above be political? Or have strong feelings especially in today’s climate. Yes of course.

Can the player be raised with biases in one political direction by parents/family/community that is political? possibly but doesn’t have to if the second question is a yes.

Is it possible the the player or anyone of influence in their circle, believes the extreme opposite of Pearl? Yup.

Therefore…yes it is possible it could hurt recruiting, and absurd to think otherwise…
I hope you wasted a lot of time writing that.

You can believe the opposite and still play for the guy that’s giving you a million dollars to play ball for a season.

Pearl is an outspoken guy. This has no impact on his future at Auburn or their success

I hope you wasted a lot of time writing that.

You can believe the opposite and still play for the guy that’s giving you a million dollars to play ball for a season.

Pearl is an outspoken guy. This has no impact on his future at Auburn or their success
Thanks for hoping I waste time on your bad takes. Probably true.

Yes you certainly can believe opposite and turn a blind eye for big payday. But some may not, or jump to other offer if similar.

Yes, pearl is out spoken.

No, you are incorrect. It could have an impact and is likely a net negative being outspoken on political issues…see Disney

My guess the AD wasn’t thrilled but maybe I’m wrong there m.

Thanks for hoping I waste time on your bad takes. Probably true.

Yes you certainly can believe opposite and turn a blind eye for big payday. But some may not, or jump to other offer if similar.

Yes, pearl is out spoken.

No, you are incorrect. It could have an impact and is likely a net negative being outspoken on political issues…see Disney

My guess the AD wasn’t thrilled but maybe I’m wrong there m.
Trying to compare Bruce pearls tweet to conservatives boycotting Disney is one of the worst takes I’ve ever seen on the board.

Trying to compare Bruce pearls tweet to conservatives boycotting Disney is one of the worst takes I’ve ever seen on the board.
I actually agree with this. Players are getting paid to play for him. How many of the boycotters would work for Disney if they were offered a paycheck the same Auburn's NIL is.

The latter is my take. I'd be more inclined to say no impact if I thought the players were making these decisions on their own. However, we know others (parents, handlers, AAU coaches et al) have input and this might not sit well.

In the end money rules so I doubt it's a major issue but I don't believe it's zero impact.

I actually agree with this. Players are getting paid to play for him. How many of the boycotters would work for Disney if they were offered a paycheck the same Auburn's NIL is.
This thread is gradually becoming worthy of its own episode of the Twilight Zone.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: silkcitypirate
Umm who’s take was that? Who was comparing that? Haha. It’s like opposite of what I am saying.

Ok, let me slow it down for you.

Disney is Bruce pearl in this example, so the recruits are potential conservative customers/familes..

I mentioned Disney bc some argue that Disney shouldn’t have gotten politcal or taken a political stance, and would have been better off being more neutral or apolitical.

Slow down and understand before you reply please.

Umm who’s take was that? Who was comparing that? Haha. It’s like opposite of what I am saying.

Ok, let me slow it down for you.

Disney is Bruce pearl in this example, so the recruits are potential conservative customers/familes..

I mentioned Disney bc some argue that Disney shouldn’t have gotten politcal or taken a political stance, and would have been better off being more neutral or apolitical.

Slow down and understand before you reply please.
I understand it. If I was boycotting Disney and they offered me 7 figures. I’ll be their happiest employee. Business is business. I hold no grudge against Kadary for the same thing. It’s business

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT