ADVERTISEMENT

Candid Coaches: Will a woman be the head coach of a Division I men's basketball team by 2030?

Why does anyone really care? Best candidates should get the job regardless of their sex. Has any male coach ever gotten a job over a more qualified female in men’s college basketball? If so shame on them but I see this as end of August we need to write about something.

As a serious top coach? No. As a gimmick? Sure.

Ask yourself why any of the female coaches at the pinnacle of women’s basketball don’t make the transition? Guess the question is, why? They are successful in competitive programs.

There are top female coaches that could compete, but won’t be considered for the best of programs. So then why not be at the top of their profession in women’s basketball where they do quite fine financially?

Is there even a female assistant or administrator on staff at the D1 level? As Grant Billmeier can attest, it would be a heck of a trajectory for someone to go from zero D1 experience whatsoever to head coach in 6 years.

When it comes to the coaching industry - unless you're a rare exception - you gotta pay your dues...and then some. It's absolutely brutal. Only 362 jobs with a lot of competition. There are more players in the NBA than D1 coaches.

Is there even a female assistant or administrator on staff at the D1 level? As Grant Billmeier can attest, it would be a heck of a trajectory for someone to go from zero D1 experience whatsoever to head coach in 6 years.

When it comes to the coaching industry - unless you're a rare exception - you gotta pay your dues...and then some. It's absolutely brutal. Only 362 jobs with a lot of competition. There are more players in the NBA than D1 coaches.
It’s a new world. I can’t believe people actually do care about this stuff, but because they do, if some woman can get serious funding behind her, some school will take the chance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT