ADVERTISEMENT

Can’t think of a bigger Big East opener than we’ll have against SJU

Hall91

All Universe
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
It’s going to come down to how well we can defend their guards. Should be a great game.

Reactions: phelanma
Questionable, maybe. And boy were we loud that year.

19F is gonna be lit.

Reminds me off the December 2014 game were SHU came in rolling to beat the #15 SJU.

Lots of parallels with the teams and that 14-15 in the OOC except the wins this time were against better teams and the chemistry is a lot better.

Going to be a lot of fun!

It’s early to call it, but given the OOC performance, I say SH -2 is the opening line.

I was at that game. Gibbs and Sina were phenomenal. Great crowd.

Important takeaway for this year. If anything it shows that what happens early in the BE schedule doesn’t dictate how the season turns out.

Was it bigger a few years ago when St John’s came in ranked on New Years Eve?

Disagree with that take highly having watched them a bunch. They play a 5-out perimeter offense because of personnel. It can look sloppy at times when they aren’t play well - hence the AAU comment by you - but by and large they are unselfish and share the ball. Don’t take my word; read Carino or one of the other scribes that has watched them a ton. They had 28 assists last night.

Our big advantage on them is on the glass and the interior. With Keita out they have no one that can bang and so if they aren’t knocking down shots we can really grind them down. Think we match up well for that reason.

St. John's plays AAU style ball. Wild, undisciplined play. My only fears against them are their 3 pt shooting and ability to get us in foul trouble through dribble drives

McKnight and Powell staying out of foul trouble will be very important in this game. Controlling Ponds will be very difficult and Figueroa is also a real handful. This should be a heckuva fight.

It will help because our home court has been a house of horror for SJU in recent years, irrespective of the crowd. For whatever reason, we play them really well at home no matter the personnel.

This is where the home court advantage will help, I think. They've only played one true road game, and that was at Rutgers. The Rock will be on a different level on Saturday.

We are NJ's team.

We will never pick up the support they get from the average downstate/metro/Long Island NY sports fan when they have a good year. If anything, Nova, Cuse, Uconn and/or Duke get that audience before we do.

SJU is our truly biggest rival. We compete directly for recruits with them not RU or even Nova. SHU should be NY's (and NJ's) team!

I’m not sure if that even holds true for St John’s anymore.

The ESPN-ization of things has changed the way team allegiances are formed. There are probably more kids growing up now in the tri-State as Golden State fans as there young Knicks fans. Same thing with Duke.

It’s been going for a long time (Cowboys and Dolphins fans in their 50s) ... Just like there have been eras where the Bulls, Lakers and Celtics were popular. But never like today.

Reactions: shu09
We are NJ's team.

We will never pick up the support they get from the average downstate/metro/Long Island NY sports fan when they have a good year. If anything, Nova, Cuse, Uconn and/or Duke get that audience before we do.
Despite the Ledger wishing otherwise, Seton Hall has been and always will be New Jersey's team!

Reactions: SonofJoeSeton49
Disagree with that take highly having watched them a bunch. They play a 5-out perimeter offense because of personnel. It can look sloppy at times when they aren’t play well - hence the AAU comment by you - but by and large they are unselfish and share the ball. Don’t take my word; read Carino or one of the other scribes that has watched them a ton. They had 28 assists last night.

Our big advantage on them is on the glass and the interior. With Keita out they have no one that can bang and so if they aren’t knocking down shots we can really grind them down. Think we match up well for that reason.

I have watched a bunch of their games too and I stand by my wild, aau comment. They are creative and do pass the ball. But they are very undisciplined and are in for a rude awakening when they play stronger defensive teams.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I live in Bergen County surrounded by Giants/Jets, Yankees/Mets and largely Knick fans with no college affiliation. I have to educate them on Seton Hall having a good season though they were all well aware of the Kentucky W. When SJU had success under Lavin they jumped on the bandwagon and went to games. And they are already talking about the Johnnies this year. It is the Garden factor, the history and Mullin. Gets attention.

I’m not sure if that even holds true for St John’s anymore.

The ESPN-ization of things has changed the way team allegiances are formed. There are probably more kids growing up now in the tri-State as Golden State fans as there young Knicks fans. Same thing with Duke.

It’s been going for a long time (Cowboys and Dolphins fans in their 50s) ... Just like there have been eras where the Bulls, Lakers and Celtics were popular. But never like today.

Read Carino

I have watched a bunch of their games too and I stand by my wild, aau comment. They are creative and do pass the ball. But they are very undisciplined and are in for a rude awakening when they play stronger defensive teams.

If we are fair we have to admit that Saint John's gets New York fired up with a lot less .

We basically need a Sweet 16 to get New York fired up. Saint John's generates buzz for much, much less.

If Saint John's had even our level of success since 2016 there would be a palpable buzz in NYC .

It actually is about the Garden, the history and Mullin .

Reactions: Piratefan2121
Only problem to what people are saying above is that St John’s, especially going back to the Lavin years, and Jarvis before that, never packed the Garden on any sort of regular basis. And I really doubt people from Bergen County were going to Queens to check them out in any other game.

This is going to be interesting week for at johns. Suppose we beat them...their next up is marquette...if we win we are playing with house money and they are standing at the top of a really big water slide. Definite potential for them to go 0-2.

Our game is more critical to them as the set up game for marquette.

Sju had a HUGE promo to pack msg for our game last yr. Was a sell out. I take that as a compliment. I had to scalp tickets, which is amazing.

Sju had a HUGE promo to pack msg for our game last yr. Was a sell out. I take that as a compliment. I had to scalp tickets, which is amazing.
They did have a great crowd ... I already have my 2 tickets for this year's game at MSG. I imagine it will be a similarly in-demand ticket.

Just get a feeling that Rhoden will have a Big Game-

Your hunches have been pretty good so far this year. Hopefully it is Rhoden having big game and us winning.

Anyway, the only thing that concerns me is whenever we have a ton of momentum and a big home game, we seem to stub our toe. This is a huge game.

Reactions: SOBO1 and Burnsly
I am a St. John’s fan and I agree with this.
Going to the game, want to watch ND football semi final. What is the best place near the arena? Thanks ! Merry Christmas

If we are fair we have to admit that Saint John's gets New York fired up with a lot less .

We basically need a Sweet 16 to get New York fired up. Saint John's generates buzz for much, much less.

If Saint John's had even our level of success since 2016 there would be a palpable buzz in NYC .

It actually is about the Garden, the history and Mullin .
I am a St. John’s fan and I agree with this.
Going to the game, want to watch ND football semi final. What is the best place near the arena? Thanks ! Merry Christmas

Redds Biergarten

Seton Hall vs St. John's should always be a sell out at the Rock and MSG. Those two games should always be the biggest college basketball games in this area.

Your hunches have been pretty good so far this year. Hopefully it is Rhoden having big game and us winning.

Anyway, the only thing that concerns me is whenever we have a ton of momentum and a big home game, we seem to stub our toe. This is a huge game.

Hey Pirate Russ--I am going to amend to say that Reynolds and Rhoden ( Jared is still my pick for breakout) will be more important than in any other Game. The way to beat the Johnnies is to pressure them all Game-- make them work for everything-- they have no bench and they will get tired (like Bruno Fernando did ). I know the double Rs are capable of the necessary harassment on D which may spell Q; Cale; and Nzei- and hear both have been practicing very well.

Reactions: Pirate Russ
Hey Pirate Russ--I am going to amend to say that Reynolds and Rhoden ( Jared is still my pick for breakout) will be more important than in any other Game. The way to beat the Johnnies is to pressure them all Game-- make them work for everything-- they have no bench and they will get tired (like Bruno Fernando did ). I know the double Rs are capable of the necessary harassment on D which may spell Q; Cale; and Nzei- and hear both have been practicing very well.

We should be able to outrebound them by far. That will help. Need to guard perimeter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT