ADVERTISEMENT

Carino and Willard

It is kinda crazy Seton Hall was playing its 4th conference road game, which was Providence's 4th total game.

Reactions: hallmatt
Willard makes a great point about the imbalance and bye week’s later.

But they also gave us 3 of the weakest teams in the league on the road.

That may be fair, but I don't know if the league thinks like that. PC was picked preseason 3rd I believe. X is one of the toughest gyms to play at as is Marq.

Typical Willard whining about the schedule to blow off steam. He has somewhat of a point, but he's the boy who cried wolf. As consistent as the annual January Willard Swoon is his complaining about the schedule. The two are not unrelated but there are other reasons for the annual swoon.

Three of our four road games were against the three worst teams in the league. It could be a whole lot worse. Everyone in this league plays the same schedule when all is said and done. It will balance out by the end. I like coach, he's done a good job overall. But I wish he would spend his time figuring out how to run good offense instead of crying to reporters about the schedule.

We will get our 7 8 days off, just not until next week. Sounds like whining to me. We didn't have the toughest teams to play either

Reactions: MikeFan1
Typical Willard whining about the schedule to blow off steam. He has somewhat of a point, but he's the boy who cried wolf. As consistent as the annual January Willard Swoon is his complaining about the schedule. The two are not unrelated but there are other reasons for the annual swoon.

Three of our four road games were against the three worst teams in the league. It could be a whole lot worse. Everyone in this league plays the same schedule when all is said and done. It will balance out by the end. I like coach, he's done a good job overall. But I wish he would spend his time figuring out how to run good offense instead of crying to reporters about the schedule.

Okay 09, you compel me to approve of your firm line here. Strong sensible post.

Do you hear me sighing heavily?

Alas.

What do you want him to say? The team sucked? The players sucked? I couldn't care less if he complains about the schedule. I'd rather him create an environment where the players feel like they need to have a chip on their shoulder by doing so. I'm sure everyone in that locker room is mad about this perceived scheduling imbalance, and hopefully it's a motivating tool for them.

And I agree with him, this stretch has sucked. And giving a team 8 days off after doesn't do any good either. He's supposed to be happy about our guys playing every 3 days on the road for over 2 weeks? Just as his complaining about the schedule is clockwork, so is the incessant bitching about our coach on this board.

What do you want him to say? The team sucked? The players sucked? I couldn't care less if he complains about the schedule. I'd rather him create an environment where the players feel like they need to have a chip on their shoulder by doing so. I'm sure everyone in that locker room is mad about this perceived scheduling imbalance, and hopefully it's a motivating tool for them.

And I agree with him, this stretch has sucked. And giving a team 8 days off after doesn't do any good either. He's supposed to be happy about our guys playing every 3 days on the road for over 2 weeks? Just as his complaining about the schedule is clockwork, so is the incessant bitching about our coach on this board.

How about we didn’t play up to our potential. We need to play better. We need to stop the TOs.

I like coach. However, do not agree with blaming scheduling and refs. This message from the coach is being communicated to players. They need to play better and coach better and take responsibility. Let’s hope to turnaround starts Saturday.

I noticed the game disparity the other day too but didn’t mention anything, couple that with 4 out of 5 on the road. Tough stretch.

Maybe Jerry or JP can ask the Big East higher ups why there’s such a disparity with league games Seton Hall has played so far versus other teams in the league. It seems the ACC and other conferences balance the number of games played by their teams more evenly. Is it FOX?

Seton Hall played a lot of road games because the Prudential Center was booked with Disney on Ice.

The league could have given SHU
one of its bye weeks, but then he’d probably complain in February about having been given a bye week so early in the league season.

Yes we also get to finish with Marquette and Nova at home. My viewpoint is that it will be an exceptional chance to build up steam and garner some attention going to the BigEast Tournament. I don’t hear that much complaining about that??

Reactions: HallX2 and mbraue
Yes we also get to finish with Marquette and Nova at home. My viewpoint is that it will be an exceptional chance to build up steam and garner some attention going to the BigEast Tournament. I don’t hear that much complaining about that??

Tough way to finish the season!

Seton Hall played a lot of road games because the Prudential Center was booked with Disney on Ice.

The league could have given SHU
one of its bye weeks, but then he’d probably complain in February about having been given a bye week so early in the league season.

Exactly. He is a glass half empty guy and always will be.

Reactions: Piratz
You know what’s worse than listening to Willard complain the schedule??

It’s listening to you guys complaining about Willard complaining.

It's amazing how people like you and SHUHitman just don't get it. How does this inspire confidence in the team? Play like crap against the worst teams in the Big East? No problem, just blame the schedule and coach will back us up!

This should be a lesson in fighting through adversity and coming out stronger on the other side. Instead a poor tone is set at the top with Willard blaming everything except his team's poor play on the court.

The reason we lost to DePaul and Providence is because our offense is stagnant, inefficient and the players are trying to do too much, leading to extremely sloppy play.

Exactly. He is a glass half empty guy and always will be.

Today i learned mild complaints about a schedule makes one a pessimist.
It's amazing how people like you and SHUHitman just don't get it. How does this inspire confidence in the team? Play like crap against the worst teams in the Big East? No problem, just blame the schedule and coach will back us up!

This should be a lesson in fighting through adversity and coming out stronger on the other side. Instead a poor tone is set at the top with Willard blaming everything except his team's poor play on the court.

I don't think the players give a flying crap about their coaches' complaints about the schedule. They know they played poorly and are most likely practicing their butts off this week to set it right. Frankly, youre overanalyzing this.

Last edited:
Today i learned mild complaints about a schedule makes one a pessimist.

I don't think the players give a flying crap about their coaches' complaints about the schedule. They know they played poorly and are most likely practicing their butts off this week to set it right. Frankly, youre overanalyzing this.

Nope, a person's constant complaints about various topics over 9 years makes one a pessimist.

Nope, a person's constant complaints about various topics over 9 years makes one a pessimist.

Constant complaining? Seriously? I follow the team religiously and can only remember several instances of KW complaining about the schedule, or that matchup with Gonzaga in the NCAAs

Man, we should bring back Gonzo just so there would be validity to the incessant ranting about the HC.

I

The reason we lost to DePaul and Providence is because our offense is stagnant, inefficient and the players are trying to do too much, leading to extremely sloppy play.

I know. I totally don't get it. So glad you are here to educate me on the fine art of speaking to the media and what it takes to get athletes to respond.

Did you ever stop and think for one second that basketball coaches might do their teaching in the locker room instead of through the media? But no, you are 100% right - Coach totally blew it with his team because he chose to acknowledge an obviously unfavorable situation when he could have deployed HOF level coach speak to inspire his team to just play better.

Constant complaining? Seriously? I follow the team religiously and can only remember several instances of KW complaining about the schedule, or that matchup with Gonzaga in the NCAAs

Man, we should bring back Gonzo just so there would be validity to the incessant ranting about the HC.
Where have you been? Willard has complained about the schedule in some form every year.

In a couple weeks he’ll be complaining about all the down time he has to “practice hard” between games... it’s like clockwork.

Just FG win on Saturday please...

Did you ever stop and think for one second that basketball coaches might do their teaching in the locker room instead of through the media? But no, you are 100% right - Coach totally blew it with his team because he chose to acknowledge an obviously unfavorable situation when he could have deployed HOF level coach speak to inspire his team to just play better.

Agree 100%

Since when do meaningless press quotes = locker room philosophy.

People taking massive leaps here just for the sake of bashing KW.

False. He was quite pleased with the conference schedule last year.
False...

Go check last year late Jan into mid-Feb when The Hall had 6 games in 18 days (2-4 record):

@ DePaul (w)
vs Prov (w)
@ Nova (l)
vs Marquette (l)
@ GTown (l)
@ Xavier (l)

You joined the site in April so I’ll give you a pass. I have turned the corner on Willard and have come around to him...but whining about the schedule is an annual ritual...

False...

Go check last year late Jan into mid-Feb when The Hall had 6 games in 18 days (2-4 record):

@ DePaul (w)
vs Prov (w)
@ Nova (l)
vs Marquette (l)
@ GTown (l)
@ Xavier (l)

You joined the site in April so I’ll give you a pass. I have turned the corner on Willard and have come around to him...but whining about the schedule is an annual ritual...

"The league schedule I’m happy with because we finally are ending at home. To have Senior Night with this group as our last game, that’s great.” - Kevin Willard to Jerry Carino last year

https://www.app.com/story/sports/co...eason-q-a-head-coach-kevin-willard/711247001/

I'll give you a pass because its late at night, buster.

"The league schedule I’m happy with because we finally are ending at home. To have Senior Night with this group as our last game, that’s great.” - Kevin Willard to Jerry Carino last year

https://www.app.com/story/sports/co...eason-q-a-head-coach-kevin-willard/711247001/

I'll give you a pass because its late at night, buster.
I'm too lazy to find it right now, but during the tough stretch I mentioned he b!tched/whined (yet again) about the schedule being a big factor in the annual "swoon".

In the article you reference, he mentioned he was happy the Sr's were finishing at home...in September...2+ months before the start of the season.

My guess is most coaches don't have many issues with their schedules in September...

Reactions: silkcitypirate
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT