ADVERTISEMENT

Christmas Gifts?

SHUSA

All World
Jan 10, 2013
Its christmas time and time to put away the dumb covid bickering (myself included right now). lets talk about some GOOD.

Is anyone interested in sharing a great gift theyre excited to give someone? other than a pirate blue donation of course.

i love hearing awesome /creative gifts that give me ideas for next year.

i got my father the new big east book per your reccos. i got my mother small framed painting of steve martin and john candy "those arent pillows" scene from planes trains automobiles. she cries laughing every year we watch it. got my gf an adjustable stand up desk now that shes wfh for good.

happy holidays

Reactions: Section112
Its christmas time and time to put away the dumb covid bickering (myself included right now). lets talk about some GOOD.

Is anyone interested in sharing a great gift theyre excited to give someone? other than a pirate blue donation of course.

i got my father the new big east book per your reccos. i got my mother small framed painting of steve martin and john candy "those arent pillows" scene from planes trains automobiles. she cries laughing every year we watch it. got my gf an adjustable stand up desk now that shes wfh for good.

happy holidays
Love Planes,Trains, Automobiles, watching it right now, on AMC.

Reactions: SHUSA
Got my wife a new LG Washtower… it’s sweet. I believe she’s getting me divorce papers. She’s waiting until Christmas, I was so excited I sprung early.
Just be thankful that your wife is not Sicilian. Divorce papers would be the least of my worries.

Last edited:

happy holidays

I still have yet to complete getting gifts for those I would have to. As far as annual events, Christmas shopping is something I absolutely dread. Christmas itself is an excellent holiday but the shopping part is one of the worst parts of the year IMO.

I still have yet to complete getting gifts for those I would have to. As far as annual events, Christmas shopping is something I absolutely dread. Christmas itself is an excellent holiday but the shopping part is one of the worst parts of the year IMO.
Yeah never a fan of gift shopping, thankfully my wife enjoys it and she handles getting the gifts for family and friends.

Reactions: shu09
you have to try and be proactive throughout the year. note what people say they like, need, or are doing (school, hobby, future trips, etc) its really tough to stay on top of, of course.

the best gifts are ones that are less time shopping and more time putting together. ex: i figured out how to record my family old vhs onto digital. i had friends refurbish old items. experiences are also a good gift, even just getting a hotel somewhere cool and forcing someone to get out. if you want to just buy a normal gift simply think about if a person is truly going to use it, or if its going to just end up as clutter.

kids u just gotta bunker down and buy toys lol. amazon has made it a lot easier. but internet has made it not as special in terms of their interests.

giving a good gift, and seeing a genuine reaction is one of the best feelings.

I have been handing out cards with donations to The Human Fund for the past 20 years.
yes, when in doubt charity is an awesome gift. its an even better gift to ask for. if anyone asks me what i want i tell them donate to st judes.

yes, when in doubt charity is an awesome gift. its an even better gift to ask for. if anyone asks me what i want i tell them donate to st judes.
I did that for my advisory practice this year. Sent all my best clients a card noting that I made a donation to St Jude’s and Shannon Daley Memorial Fund (good friend is the president and it is an excellent organization) in their names. What are they going to do with another fruit basket?

I probably should clarify it’s a Seinfeld reference:

• Haha
you have to try and be proactive throughout the year. note what people say they like, need, or are doing (school, hobby, future trips, etc) its really tough to stay on top of, of course.

the best gifts are ones that are less time shopping and more time putting together. ex: i figured out how to record my family old vhs onto digital. i had friends refurbish old items. experiences are also a good gift, even just getting a hotel somewhere cool and forcing someone to get out. if you want to just buy a normal gift simply think about if a person is truly going to use it, or if its going to just end up as clutter.

kids u just gotta bunker down and buy toys lol. amazon has made it a lot easier. but internet has made it not as special in terms of their interests.

giving a good gift, and seeing a genuine reaction is one of the best feelings.

I usually resort to something simple like gift cards lol.

As we have gotten older, most of our gifts ate events or experiences for our family to share together. A cooking class, a concert, tickets to a museum, a vacation or Day at the spa for my wife and kids. More fun to collect memories and things.

As we have gotten older, most of our gifts ate events or experiences for our family to share together. A cooking class, a concert, tickets to a museum, a vacation or Day at the spa for my wife and kids. More fun to collect memories and things.
what is the plan this year?

what is the plan this year?
House on Long Beach Island for a week for the family, cooking class for my wife and her best friends, a walking food tour for the family are a few.

honestly its not the worst since it doesnt run the risk of becoming clutter.

I'm almost to the point where maybe next year I'll just tell people don't buy anything for me. I hate shopping that much lol.

I'm almost to the point where maybe next year I'll just tell people don't buy anything for me. I hate shopping that much lol.

I'd prefer to receive nothing and instead spend the money on family taking a trip somewhere. Once you're past 30, most stuff you need you just buy yourself during the year.

Reactions: seton1996 and shu09
I'd prefer to receive nothing and instead spend the money on family taking a trip somewhere. Once you're past 30, most stuff you need you just buy yourself during the year.

I tend to agree. I buy nearly all of what I need for myself during the year. When I get asked what I want for Christmas I often don't have an answer lol.

Last edited:
I generally try to give a gift of something that I know the person wants but likely won't buy it for themselves.

This year, we put a complete hiatus on gifts due to recent hectic events in the family. I have to say that it has been wonderful not worrying about gifts this year.

I did end up trundling to our village shops and picked up a gift card for a cooking class for my wife.

O Henry's "Gift of the Magi" has always been one of my favorites. Selfless giving.

We also usually adopt a family each year that is in need of help for Christmas. My wife got us connected with one for military families. Really humbling when you see the list of things that they want for their kids and themselves.

happy holidays
Love that John Candy movie, a real classic.
I’m in the gift giving business but must admit I’m running out of ideas. My favorite gift to give is Hess Trucks for all the young boys in the family. I buy them every year early and the boys just love them.

Last edited:
House on Long Beach Island for a week for the family, cooking class for my wife and her best friends, a walking food tour for the family are a few.
is cooking class for wife a gift for her or you :)

thats why i asked what you GIVE. because a good gift is something fun. trips are a good gift especially if its some place not often travelled

We also usually adopt a family each year that is in need of help for Christmas. My wife got us connected with one for military families. Really humbling when you see the list of things that they want for their kids and themselves.
this is a great one!

Reactions: HALL85
this is a great one!
Christmas presents are really for the kids. We have gotten some incredibly thoughtful and touching notes from parents. Anything we can do to make children’s holidays a little more special makes it worth it.

Love that John Candy movie, a real classic.
I’m in the gift giving business but must admit I’m running out of ideas. My favorite gift to give is Hess Trucks for all the young boys in the family. I buy them every year early and the boys just love them.
boys are easy haha. if ur looking for 15+ i suggest going to etsy. a lot of custom stuff thats super unique. that site and pintrist do half the work (tho i dont have pintrist)

Christmas presents are really for the kids. We have gotten some incredibly thoughtful and touching notes from parents. Anything we can do to make children’s holidays a little more special makes it worth it.
nobody is too old for a gift. the gift doesnt have to be a tangible thing. could be something you spend $0 on.

im didnt make this thread to hear about people buying airpods. and, could give me ideas on next year. its hard to think outside the box

Sounds like a great idea. You should post next year how you can get connectedvto families in need, I think somevpeople on this site would be willing to help as well.

For years I gave out customer gifts. Last 7 years Ive been running a coat drive that starts before Thanksgiving for the homeless and I take the money I would have spent on my customers and buy blankets and sweat shirts for the homeless as my gift to them. The program and donations has been growing every year. The joy we get from Christmas changes as we age.

For years I gave out customer gifts. Last 7 years Ive been running a coat drive that starts before Thanksgiving for the homeless and I take the money I would have spent on my customers and buy blankets and sweat shirts for the homeless as my gift to them. The program and donations has been growing every year. The joy we get from Christmas changes as we age.
great idea.

you do this all yourself? wow

you do this all yourself? wow
I organize and deliver the goods, but trust me lots of help. Lots of donations from groups and individuals. A heart warming story I sent to a friend one year was posted online and went viral. Donations were out of control after that story.

I organize and deliver the goods, but trust me lots of help. Lots of donations from groups and individuals. A heart warming story I sent to a friend one year was posted online and went viral. Donations were out of control after that story.
thats impressive. great job!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT