ADVERTISEMENT

Creighton center Ryan Kalkbrenner plans to return next season

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Jeff Borzello, ESPN Staff Writer

Creighton center Ryan Kalkbrenner, three-time Big East Defensive Player of the Year, announced Wednesday that he plans to return to the Bluejays for another season.

Kalkbrenner had entered his name into the NBA draft but is projected as a borderline second-round pick. He will be taking advantage of the extra year of eligibility given by the NCAA to student-athletes from the COVID-impacted 2020-21 season.

A 7-foot-1 senior, Kalkbrenner has been one of the elite defensive players in college basketball over the past three seasons. He was a first-team All-Big East performer in 2022-23 and a second-team selection this past season, winning Big East Defensive Player of the Year honors in each of the past three seasons.

Kalkbrenner averaged a career-high 17.3 points and 3.1 blocks this season, adding 7.6 rebounds. He ranked sixth nationally in field goal percentage, shooting 64.6% from the field. His 107 blocked shots ranked second in the country.

He has made major strides on the offensive end, posting 20 or more points 11 times - including 28 points, nine rebounds and 7 blocks in a January win over Seton Hall and 28 points in a February victory against Xavier. Kalkbrenner was terrific in the NCAA tournament, averaging 18.7 points, 9.7 rebounds and 3.3 blocks in three games.

He's ranked No. 52 in ESPN's top 100 NBA draft prospects.

I really don’t know why he’d return. He’s pretty much done it all.

Even if he doesn’t make an NBA roster, the money he could make overseas could be really good.

Plus I’m just tired of that guy having career games against us.

Chris Farley Reaction GIF

Even if he doesn’t make an NBA roster, the money he could make overseas could be really good.

Said perfectly

He can make $1 million for staying at Creighton for 32 games. You think he’ll make more overseas?

I hope whomever our new center will be can defend the pick and roll with a little more success than this past season.

Like many other college stars who might be borderline NBA prospects at best, he will make a lot more money staying in college than playing overseas.

Reactions: HallX2

He’s gonna get in one year with Creighton at least what he’d make overseas , if not more . Creighton has two billionaire boosters.And he gets to stay home. Not everyone relishes playing overseas. It’s my recollection that It wasn’t for Delgado at first.

Last edited:
He can make $1 million for staying at Creighton for 32 games. You think he’ll make more overseas?
I do. I think he would make more being a 7’ center who is mobile and has a nice shooting touch.

Is Alexander coming back? I would also think they’d need to come up with some decent money for Miller, Traudt and Lawson to hang on to.

I know Creighton has been rumored to have a lot of NIL money, but how much do they really have?

I guess enough to include Kalkbrenner

• Haha
Reactions: shupat08
I do. I think he would make more being a 7’ center who is mobile and has a nice shooting touch.

Is Alexander coming back? I would also think they’d need to come up with some decent money for Miller, Traudt and Lawson to hang on to.

I know Creighton has been rumored to have a lot of NIL money, but how much do they really have?

I guess enough to include Kalkbrenner
There’s this guy who is the Chairman of Berkshire Hathaway that calls Omaha home….

Who knows, but the guy has incredible wealth but stayed in Omaha.
Oh for sure. Just didn’t know he was a basketball fan.

I mean, we have so many high wealth people in this area that could change the entire SHU NIL profile, but I don’t think they care at all.

Good for Creighton if that’s the case.

Charlie Heider was a trusted colleague/partner of Warren Buffett. Heider was a Creighton alumus and a prominent supporter of the university.

I'm sure that drives Mr. Buffett's support but he is also an ardent backer of Omaha as a whole.

Reactions: hallstorm
Charlie Heider was a trusted colleague/partner of Warren Buffett. Heider was a Creighton alumus and a prominent supporter of the university.

I'm sure that drives Mr. Buffett's support but he is also an ardent backer of Omaha as a whole.
The “Omaha Oracle”. Lots of stories out there attending games and posing with the players.

There’s this guy who is the Chairman of Berkshire Hathaway that calls Omaha home….
Omaha is home to a number of Berkshire billionaires. I don’t think it is Buffett who is the giver. A few others.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT