ADVERTISEMENT

Dave Popkin interview Part 1

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
TROVE: Dave, thanks again for speaking to the Trove! You recently introduced your long-time broadcast partner Gary Cohen as the commencement speaker at Seton Hall’s 2024 graduation ceremony? How did that whole process fall into place and how did you decide on incorporating an impression of him?

POPKIN: Well, I think the university decided he was going to be the commencement speaker and get an honorary doctorate first. And then somebody at the university level suggested me as the person to introduce him. So, Bryan Felt hooked me up with the president's office and they asked, and I was happy to do it - honored to do it. He didn't know anything about my speech. I told him I was going to be there to introduce him, and he was happy about that. But, you know, I didn't tell him anything and I just wanted to loosen the crowd up a little bit. Sometimes the ceremony gets a little dry and I thought that'd be something fun. I had never done that before in terms of using his catchphrases or impersonating him or anything like that. So, you know, it's going out on a limb a little bit. But people liked it. I just wanted to get a laugh and, you know, sports is supposed to be fun. I think that when we do our broadcasts that comes across. For all of the influence he's had on me, that's probably the only influence I've had on him is maybe to make it a little bit more fun and turn it loose sometimes and be a little silly. I wasn't going to give a dry three-minute speech, it's just not me. So yeah, I tried to make it meaningful, and respectful, because I respect him so much. But at the same time I just wanted to make it fun and memorable.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.