ADVERTISEMENT

Dave Popkin interview Part 2

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Zack Cziryak

TROVE: Speaking of resumes - how much stock do you put into the efficiency metrics and the reliance on Kenpom and other sites, especially with some programs stacking their non-conference schedules to just pummel lesser squads and boost their numbers?

POPKIN: I think it definitely had an effect this year. I think the committee and the NCAA need to communicate clearly what's in the NET and how heavily is it going to be considered? If you're Saint John's and you had a NET in the 20s and you don't make the tournament, then should you even gauge your schedule and your season based on that? If you're not going to follow it, then why have it? Do I believe that Seton Hall should schedule all the weak sisters and beat them by 40? No. And Shaheen Holloway doesn't believe that either. And there are many times that he could have beaten a team by 30 when he beat them by 20, or by 40 when he beat them by 25. Or run up the score on some of these schools but he has respect for the other team and the other coach and he doesn't do it, and I don't know if that's going to change based on the results of this past year. He's been put in a very tough spot with that, all the coaches have. I don't think that beating a low D1 team by 40 should mean more than beating another Power Six team by eight. I really don't, especially if the game is on a neutral site or on the road.

Before, it seemed like the committee was really looking at who you played, where you played them and the quality of those wins, and it seemed like it strayed from that a bit this past year and that there's an overall lack of clarity, which is frustrating for teams like Seton Hall that are going to be on the bubble a lot of years. They're not going to be a three seed every year and they're not going to be bad ever. So, they're going to be in the mix every year. And all of those little decisions on scheduling and the results of those games is going to mean a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.