ADVERTISEMENT

Dawes

Absolutely kept us in the game when Marquette was having it easy. He played a solid game with a couple of mistakes. Actually, Richmond, Wusu and Dawes made some awful plays in the last few minutes. I thought they needed to get him some more shots in the second have, but the strategy was for Richmond to exploit Marquette going to the rim. He gets a very good grade in this game.
Toward that end of a changing strategy…Sha deserves a lot of credit today. I thought he pushed the right buttons…played the bench early…and often! And…at the half said, we made our 3’s now they have to respect that…which will allow drives to the basket. Or something like that!

All I know is, Dawes won the first half, and Kadary the second.

I kind of like that…!

also was a big reason for the initial marquette 10-0 run. and had an additional crucial turnover that was luckily called back to shu ball that woudl have been turnover #5. even on his best days like today he contributes to throwing the game away.

he had a good game today, but this is no gotcha moment. without a dre davis miracle bucket this was probably a loss brought on by dumb stupid play.
That Dre basket was a beast play! He muscled that up with a determination that was…I don’t know…because I was right there and I didn’t think he had a chance. But…. He said, “hold my beer” !

Toward that end of a changing strategy…Sha deserves a lot of credit today. I thought he pushed the right buttons…played the bench early…and often! And…at the half said, we made our 3’s now they have to respect that…which will allow drives to the basket. Or something like that!

All I know is, Dawes won the first half, and Kadary the second.

I kind of like that…!
I agree on Sha. He wisely used his bench in the first half and got some decent results from them while gaining valuable rest for starters. At one point in the first half he had four subs on the floor with Dawes. I almost had trouble believing my eyes. It was an effective approach and Sha deserves credit for it.

He played well today. Still a couple boneheaded decisions that nearly could have cost the them, especially that one late, though.

Very few players are perfect. but If you are going to have one skill better than the others, shooting is probably the one you want. Lets face the facts though: we do not win either of the last two games without Dawes. I agree with Coach Sha that you do not keep anyone who shoots that well on the bench.

Tom K

Reactions: Section112
Al Dawes congrats on your best game as a Pirate. He not only handled the PG role well in the first half, he also kept us in the game with his scoring. Great game from him today. Sha is really coaching him up. I also love how much more he’s going to the basket this year and he’s finishing. Sha wanted him to do that more and he’s listening. His last two games he’s been very good but today was his best. Congrats to Al and you can see his confidence soaring. Love it!!

I’ll admit he had a great game today. I think he was a huge reason we won. He has also been a bigs reason for some of our losses earlier in the season. If he plays like he did Today at least from a basketball IQ perspective help be fine. If he goes back to bonehead me ball shots leading to fast breaks the other way he can take a seat. I will also say sanders looked solid today on defense. Had some strong boards and caused Marquette into some difficult shots.

I can only speak for myself but I haven’t noticed anyone hyping him up as the savior of Seton Hall basketball.

I get what you’re saying though, people gravitate towards the extremes a lot. IMO Dawes can be a very frustrating player at times, but he’s no more flawed than anyone else on this roster. And there isn’t a better option at the shooting guard position on currently.

It was said coming into the season that we’ll live and die by Dawes, and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that his best stretch as a pirate has come these last 3-4 weeks.
His own coach declared him as part of the best backcourt in the BE.

Might have been a psychological ploy by Sha to boost their confidence. However, he put a microscope on his own player with that statement, his initial poor play, and Sha’s unwillingness to even sit him for even brief periods of time.

So when the team was losing, it’s was only natural for frustrated fans to call out poor play from their visual observations. Yes others were playing poorly too, but to the eye test Dawes was struggling the most.

Nonsense. Hes kept us in so many games we could have easily lost. I wasnt a fan of the rushed step back side step 3s all the time. But its hard to find a guy who shoots w confidence. A big issue is guys driving into so much traffic and feel like theyve gotta shoot it.
He’s also taken is out if quite a few

I've been saying it for over a month now. As Dawes goes so goes the Pirates.

BTW, in the post game Holloway told us that Dawes works so hard on his shooting that he has to chase him out of the gym late at night.

Hopefully players and teams are not static. If they don't progress and develop, they will flounder. This team seems to be developing their identity still, certainly since the early part of the season. So too have players. The core group (that includes Sanders, EHE and Coleman) seems to trust one another and therefore are playig better as a unit. With that trust, there is less hero ball. There were times that it seemed (what fan really knows for sure) that some of the players were looking to get their numbers. Not so much now. Dawes and Sanders are clearly the best outside shooters on the team. Like hitters in baseball, slumps occur. Of course, teams are keying on Dawes knowing that he is the most dangerous shooter on the team. He moreso seems to be rushing less, trusting more, forcing less and more connected to the other 4 on the floor.

As for defense, the whole team has ramped up their effort and become more connected. The team still struggles with the high PnR, especially when Bediako comes high to ice it. Lately Dawes has been a bit more successful fighting over the screen. EHE has been noteworthy in his improvement.

It is a long and arduous season. Improvement has been evident. There are areas of needed improvement both individually and as a team. As long as there is trust and buy in, it can happen.

he had a good game and was STILL almost a loss with a big contribution from dawes in that department. considering we erased the 10-0 run that marquette sustained when he was on the court, i think its certainly possible we win without him. this game had major contributions from everyone who played.

the defensive intensity was the biggest reason for the win imo. look at the rebounding disparity. we pretty much eliminated any second chance points. i wouldnt say dawes was crucial for either of these.
Maybe we do win the game without Dawes but it's hard to say that considering his significant and efficient production (23 points on 7-10/4-5/5-5) in a three-point win.

While you point out the Marquette run when he was on the floor. You don't point out it was Dawes who sparked the comeback on the offensive end. He hit a three and two free throws on consecutive possessions to cut MU's 10-point lead in half.

He did sit for a three-minutes stretch where we tied the game but gave us the lead 30-28 on the first offensive possession after his return and then hit another basket to give us a 32-30 lead followed by a three to make it 38-30. That's 12 points in a 25-7 run.

Early in the second half he hit three free throws and one more three in the 12-2 stretch that took the lead back to 10.

That's a lot of vital production to make up.

Geez. This is what we get after Dawes plays a great game. Can’t wait to see this board when he has an inevitable bad game.

Ok, we all agree. Dawes is not a perfect player. Who is? He makes mistakes. Who doesn’t?

The only question that matters now is where would we be without him over the past six games. Hopefully he keeps it going.

Maybe we do win the game without Dawes but it's hard to say that considering his significant and efficient production (23 points on 7-10/4-5/5-5) in a three-point win.

While you point out the Marquette run when he was on the floor. You don't point out it was Dawes who sparked the comeback on the offensive end. He hit a three and two free throws on consecutive possessions to cut MU's 10-point lead in half.

He did sit for a three-minutes stretch where we tied the game but gave us the lead 30-28 on the first offensive possession after his return and then hit another basket to give us a 32-30 lead followed by a three to make it 38-30. That's 12 points in a 25-7 run.

Early in the second half he hit three free throws and one more three in the 12-2 stretch that took the lead back to 10.

That's a lot of vital production to make up.
the comeback was without dawes though...

and i said this was overall a good game from him. 23 points. but i do wonder what that +\- was. he lead in turnovers and was lucky the refs got his 5th one wrong in a crucial spot

hes good when he shoot's good shots on offense.

and i said this was overall a good game from him. 23 points. but i do wonder what that +\- was. he lead in turnovers and was lucky the refs got his 5th one wrong in a crucial spot

His +\- was +2….highest of the starters.

Reactions: Bluebeard

He started that comeback with the three and the two free throws. He scored half the points in two separate offensive runs. He also had three assists. He wasn't perfect but realistically we don't win without him because nobody else on the team has the ability to scores in bunches the way Dawes does.

His +\- was +2….highest of the starters.
It stands to reason the starter's plus/minus were suppressed. Playing big minutes in a game of runs, they were on the floor for good and bad stretches.

For context, Dawes was the only starter with a positive plus/minus. Richmond was zero, Davis was minus-5 and Bediako and Addae-Wusu were minus-8.

Reactions: hallwins
He started that comeback with the three and the two free throws. He scored half the points in two separate offensive runs. He also had three assists. He wasn't perfect but realistically we don't win without him because nobody else on the team has the ability to scores in bunches the way Dawes does.

It stands to reason the starter's plus/minus were suppressed. Playing big minutes in a game of runs, they were on the floor for good and bad stretches.

For context, Dawes was the only starter with a positive plus/minus. Richmond was zero, Davis was minus-5 and Bediako and Addae-Wusu were minus-8.
I don't see how Dawes gets much criticism for yesterday. Leading scorer, high % from 3, big shots and his on ball defense was very good..and a +2. Yes, he had four turnovers, but all of the starters had 3 or 4, so if you're going to pick on Dawes, how about everyone else?

I don't see how Dawes gets much criticism for yesterday. Leading scorer, high % from 3, big shots and his on ball defense was very good..and a +2. Yes, he had four turnovers, but all of the starters had 3 or 4, so if you're going to pick on Dawes, how about everyone else?
every poster including myself said it was a good game for dawes. i just dont think it was some breakout game like khadary vs uconn or a gotcha moment to make up for the entire season. now if he plays the next 6 games like that then maybe i would reconsider my personal stance on that. i dont think we'll see him be a positive factor on the defensive end.

all he needs to do to succeed is have good shot selection and limit unforced turnovers. the true unforced turnovers. if sha wants to play him he needs to be on him. yesterday he had a lot better shot selection.

every poster including myself said it was a good game for dawes. i just dont think it was some breakout game like khadary vs uconn or a gotcha moment to make up for the entire season. now if he plays the next 6 games like that then maybe i would reconsider my personal stance on that. i dont think we'll see him be a positive factor on the defensive end.

all he needs to do to succeed is have good shot selection and limit unforced turnovers. the true unforced turnovers. if sha wants to play him he needs to be on him. yesterday he had a lot better shot selection.
Nice job moving the goal posts. No one was comparing it to the career game Richmond had against UConn.

Dawes and Richmond both played great games yesterday. Calling out the mistakes Dawes made when they were no worse than any of the starters IMO is over the top.

Nice job moving the goal posts. No one was comparing it to the career game Richmond had against UConn.

Dawes and Richmond both played great games yesterday. Calling out the mistakes Dawes made when they were no worse than any of the starters IMO is over the top.
lol…the original post in this thread used the phrase…

“Dare I say he looked Myles Powell-esque?”

So as always, it’s somewhere in between. But you can’t pick on the posters who are taking the counterpoint when the first comment in the thread said that.

For the record. Thought Dawes played an excellent game. And if he is going to give me 20+ with good shot selection, I can live with some turnovers.

However, Just because you have a good game doesn’t mean their can’t be evaluation for improvement. I would like to see him eliminate his live ball turnovers that historically lead to other buckets the other way. That still happened in the Marquette win. When you compare his turnovers to Kadary, Kooks normally isn’t allowing the other team the pick 6 variety.

Reactions: shupat08
lol…the original post in this thread used the phrase…

“Dare I say he looked Myles Powell-esque?”

So as always, it’s somewhere in between. But you can’t pick on the posters who are taking the counterpoint when the first comment in the thread said that.

For the record. Thought Dawes played an excellent game. And if he is going to give me 20+ with good shot selection, I can live with some turnovers.

However, Just because you have a good game doesn’t mean their can’t be evaluation for improvement. I would like to see him eliminate his live ball turnovers that historically lead to other buckets the other way. That still happened in the Marquette win. When you compare his turnovers to Kadary, Kooks normally isn’t allowing the other team the pick 6 variety.
Yeah, I was just responding to the posters comment. I’ve been critical of Dawes all along (and thought he should have been sat a bit earlier on). Agree on the run outs on his turnovers.

I thought his defense was also very good yesterday. I mean, Saturday those were Powell type numbers. Separate note…Powell did turn the ball over too:).

Reactions: TheHall87
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT