ADVERTISEMENT

Day 1 of Greener NJ

People hundreds of years ago owned slaves, shot each other over mining stakes, didn’t allow women to vote, and pissed/shit in a bucket in the corner of the room. That all fly with you too?

Perhaps things change?

I don't care what people did back then. Of course, it would never fly today.

Of course, it would never fly today

That is exactly my point. You saying something wouldn't fly today is someone a hundred years from now thinking the same thing about our use of plastic. My point wasn't to suggest we should care about opinions but having the foresight to see what we are doing today might be wrong rather than hindsight.

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
No one is going to think anything 100 years from now. Please remember the earth has about 9 years left according to some. NJ plastics will have no impact on that as the good people of China make no changes.

Reactions: shu09
No one is going to think anything 100 years from now. Please remember the earth has about 9 years left according to some. NJ plastics will have no impact on that as the good people of China make no changes.

Just because the chinese are filthy polluters doesnt mean we all should be. It's called holding ourselves to a higher standard.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Just because the chinese are filthy polluters doesnt mean we all should be. It's called holding ourselves to a higher standard.
I never said that we shouldn't hold ourselves to a higher standard. All I said is if you believe some of our politicians in Congress, science says the earth has about 9 years left. The way the billion Chinese people deal with this issue, the people of NJ will not impact that 9 year time frame no matter how green NJ becomes. With that logic, no one will be around to think anything 100 years from now.

I never said that we shouldn't hold ourselves to a higher standard. All I said is if you believe some of our politicians in Congress, science says the earth has about 9 years left. The way the billion Chinese people deal with this issue, the people of NJ will not impact that 9 year time frame no matter how green NJ becomes. With that logic, no one will be around to think anything 100 years from now.

No one says that the world will end in 9 years... At least understand the argument they are making if you care so much about it.

Polluting the earth with plastic is bad regardless if your view on climate change.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
No one says that the world will end in 9 years... At least understand the argument they are making if you care so much about it.

Polluting the earth with plastic is bad regardless if your view on climate change.

I guess she is no one. The world as a whole is not likely to change much. There will be small changes here and there, but not to the magnitude these people want. Ban plastic straws but keep private planes going. I'm not saying plastic straws are good, but the big picure is plastic straws are not good enough if you follow that story.

Let me know what I'm not understanding. It's clear as day....the world is going to end in about 9 years if we don't address climate change.

Last edited:

I guess she is no one. The world as a whole is not likely to change much. There will be small changes here and there, but not to the magnitude these people want. Ban plastic straws but keep private planes going. I'm not saying plastic straws are good, but the big picure is plastic straws are not good enough if you follow that story.

Let me know what I'm not understanding. It's clear as day....the world is going to end in about 9 years if we don't address climate change.
And this is the essence of the issue. The stupid scare tactics claiming the world is going to and then 10, 20 or 30 years just blows your credibility. If things are that tire, we need to putting forth more significant solutions. And making plastic straws an issue is just silly.

if we are facing a relatively short term (20-30 year) global crisis, I’m all for coming up with a real plans and strategies that can be executed. And if it’s not a crisis, how about commonsense, economically sound, approaches to being good stewards of our planet.

Yeah, if you're looking for the "gotcha" moment instead of having a real discussion, sure.

What she was referring to was a report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change which said we need to accomplish a 45% reduction in emissions by 2030 in order to avoid irreversible damage.

My view on plastic waste has nothing do do with climate change at all.

Yeah, if you're looking for the "gotcha" moment instead of having a real discussion, sure.

What she was referring to was a report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change which said we need to accomplish a 45% reduction in emissions by 2030 in order to avoid irreversible damage.

My view on plastic waste has nothing do do with climate change at all.
That is the real discussion. We're being told the world is going to end. If anyone is saying plastics are good for the environment they're nuts. But the world around us is drinking with paper straws out of plastic bottles. We'd be better off drinking out of plastic straws with glass bottles.

The issue is the world went away from glass bottles to plastic because it made big business more money. If we're lucky enough to see 10 years from now and even further, people might notice this high fructose corn syrup and other chemicals are horrible for us despite the fact we've ignored it for years because....surprise....big business makes more money off it.

Last edited:
That is the real discussion. We're being told the world is going to end.

Your not though. Your focusing on some attention grabbing nonsense.

The world is not ending in 9 years. Some believe that we can reverse our impact on the climate if we act in time. That is really the basic argument.

If anyone is saying plastics are good for the environment they're nuts

Don't think anyone is making that claim.
Just saying my opinion on plastic would be the same if I believed in man influencing climate change or not.

The issue is the world went away from glass bottles to plastic because it made big business more money.

Exactly.

The world is not ending in 9 years. Some believe that we can reverse our impact on the climate if we act in time. That is really the basic argument.
Auditors make good money. Buy a sense of humor. Idiots making some attention grabbing headlines and in the meantime I took their stupid headlines and said why worry about 100 years from now. It was a joke, but leaders in our country have said it and possibly believed it.

The question is why didn't the government shut that down from the beginning. Was it unheard of at the time that plastics would be bad? Did they overlook it because it made big business more profitable? Were lobbyists paying people to ignore it?

To add to the real discussion. What is the end result if the USA changes and highly populated countries like China don't? Can we avoid these supposed irreversible damages by 2030 or are we pissing in the wind if these other countries do nothing?

Auditors make good money. Buy a sense of humor. Idiots making some attention grabbing headlines and in the meantime I took their stupid headlines and said why worry about 100 years from now. It was a joke, but leaders in our country have said it and possibly believed it.

None of them believe it.

I don't really share their view and I don't think the report considerers scientific advancements and improvements in technology that will be able to help mitigate future impacts. I still think we should act now to reduce our impact on the environment, but I don't believe it is as dire as needing to drop emissions to 45% of 2010 levels now.

The question is why didn't the government shut that down from the beginning. Was it unheard of at the time that plastics would be bad? Did they overlook it because it made big business more profitable? Were lobbyists paying people to ignore it?

From the beginning of plastic use? I think they looked at the potential as fairly revolutionary and did not fully understand the consequences of single use plastics and pollution. I don't really care about who to blame for past actions.

To add to the real discussion. What is the end result if the USA changes and highly populated countries like China don't? Can we avoid these supposed irreversible damages by 2030 or are we pissing in the wind if these other countries do nothing?

As I said above, I don't believe the situation is as dire as they are implying but no, I don't believe it would be be pissing in the wind if we can make meaningful impacts without China.

I think you try to lead on the issue and get others on board as you go... and again, our emissions per capita is higher than China. I want them to be better, but we don't have much ground to stand on to convince them.

I think it’s pretty obvious, that global warming has been a topic that has been used to scare and divide. Biden’s speech at the summit were a good example. Using children like Greta Thornburg. Pathetic.

Watching ABC national news last week and they are showing pictures of major cities and what they will look like in 30 years underwater. Need to stop this nonsense. You do this end of the World stuff and a good chunk of the population is going to turn it off. Not a great way to build consensus.

Electric cars are the nice shiny object right now.

None of them believe it.

I don't really share their view and I don't think the report considerers scientific advancements and improvements in technology that will be able to help mitigate future impacts. I still think we should act now to reduce our impact on the environment, but I don't believe it is as dire as needing to drop emissions to 45% of 2010 levels now.
Wouldn't you say that is a really bad leadership style? Lets tell people something we know isn't true.

Paper straws suck but it's a small change to make from plastic straws. Won't have any impact as long as everyone keeps buying bottled water, etc.
They suck is right but I agree I can move along or just not get straws and drink from a glass to expose me for more Covid

They suck is right but I agree I can move along or just not get straws and drink from a glass to expose me for more Covid
why would you get exposed to more covid by drinking out of your own glass??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT