ADVERTISEMENT

Deangelo Russell to the NETS...impact on IW?

As noted on another thread, many undervalue IW. He comes back next year with a year of experience, played well as a rookie being thrown into a difficult situation thrust into a staring pg role after Lin went down, and displayed his ntensiry on D, good court vision from both guard spots, and an ability to get to the rim and finish. He had decent road lie numbers. He needs to improve his outside shot and needs to tighten up his handle. He works hard. He'll improve over last year. He'll carve out his role on the Nets.

Reactions: DIMEDISHA13
To say it won't effect him at all is a reach, in my opinion. He is now the third point guard on a team that is also filled with 2 guards. Russell is going to get major minutes and will likely become the face of the team with Lopez gone.

Not to say he can't make it happen for himself, or he won't improve dramatically, etc, etc but we're talking about the NBA - guys with name value reign supreme and clog up rosters long past their useful lives. In my mind, Lin hits the bricks and IW should take the back up PG spot as he has more upside at this point - but chances of that happening aren't great right now.

Wish IW the best and, if anyone can succeed, it'll be that kid.

To say it won't effect him at all is a reach, in my opinion. He is now the third point guard on a team that is also filled with 2 guards. Russell is going to get major minutes and will likely become the face of the team with Lopez gone.

Not to say he can't make it happen for himself, or he won't improve dramatically, etc, etc but we're talking about the NBA - guys with name value reign supreme and clog up rosters long past their useful lives. In my mind, Lin hits the bricks and IW should take the back up PG spot as he has more upside at this point - but chances of that happening aren't great right now.

Wish IW the best and, if anyone can succeed, it'll be that kid.

Totally agree, not good for IW playing time, it doesn't mean he cannot succeed with Nets or in the league but if he cannot get the minutes it will hurt both his development and his worth. But still early in offseason, Nets may make other moves that clears space on the roster for guys like IW.

Isaiah proved he could play and more than hold his own. At somepoint, some team is going to need a guard. So either he is going to get minutes with the nets or someone in need of guard play is going to acquire him. If he continues to worry about things within his control he will end up on his feet doing well in the NBA

A lot of the early mock drafts had the Nets targeting guards and adding a guard thru a trade is not a big surprise. I think the key to IW's future in the NBA rests in large part on his ability to gain consistency with his three point shot.

Reactions: radecicco
This is almost exactly what was said last year. The Nets like Isaiah, whether it is at 1 guard or 2 guard, he'll get his minutes.

Tough break for IW but I believe he will still have a role with the Nets. He caught a lot of breaks last year to play 23 minutes per game as a 2nd-round rookie and showed enough that he will be given more opportunities. Would not be surprised to see Brooklyn deal Lin at some point between now and the trading deadline.

Not sure Nets at trading Lin anytime soon. I think space will be cleared for IW from guys like Foye, Fitzpatrick, Dinwiddie (sp). I could see IW in a three guard rotation with Lin and Russel along with more playing time at the 2.

I thought about this since yesterday.

It does not look good at all for IW.
Lin, Russell, Dinwiddie, Hollis-Jefferson, and Lavert are all ahead of him on depth chart for 1 and 2 guards.

Hollis-Jefferson is a combo forward and LeVert is being groomed for starting 3. Main competition is Dinwiddie. He'll be fine.

Lin, Russell, & Levert are all ahead of him for 2 spots.

Kilpatrick, Dinwiddie, & Foye seem to be in the next tier.

Not sure if IW is in that tier or ahead of those guys.

How ironic that most told IW that he should wait one more year to come out. He didn't and rode the waves of a perfect storm getting drafted in the second round by his hometown pro team but getting money more typical of a low first round pick. .

Now, if he did come out this year he probably would have been a higher pick and gone to a situation that is better than the one he seems to be in now.

Bottom line, I wouldn't bet against Whitehead. He works hard, carries himself the right way and uses negatives as great motivation. He'll land on his feet.

I say not a problem for IW. He has a defined role in that group off the bench. Lin is the star and nothing changes there I'm thinking they'll try Russell and Lin together. Lin is also injury prone and Russell is the insurance policy. Plus Russell got better as a player but the jury is still out on him. The Nets loved how their young players progressed. Brooklyn was not playing like the worst team in the league in the last month of the season.

I believe IW is in Brooklyn's rebuilding scheme. For me losing Lopez is addition by subtraction. Great stat guy that plays awful as a game moves in to the later quarters.

I still believe IW is the 3rd or 4th guard who will see a nice chunk of minutes.

Wish IW all the best. I do not know if he is an NBA starting point guard. Hope he does become one. I see his role as a back up but will have a long career in league. 15-20 minutes a game. That is not a knock on him. He will be a solid player in league for many years.

Wish IW all the best. I do not know if he is an NBA starting point guard. Hope he does become one. I see his role as a back up but will have a long career in league. 15-20 minutes a game. That is not a knock on him. He will be a solid player in league for many years.

Solid player making million after milllion. Like winning the lottery for 10 straight years. Lol

Lin, Russell, & Levert are all ahead of him for 2 spots.

Kilpatrick, Dinwiddie, & Foye seem to be in the next tier.

Not sure if IW is in that tier or ahead of those guys.
Levert is not a 2 guard. Foye does not have a long term future with the Nets. That leaves Kilpatrick and Dinwiddie. IW wil be ok.

Reactions: Woah Bundy
Archie Goodwin! C'mon, he played in about 10 games. We all want IW to do well and are concerned about potential obstacles but these are not major obstacles. Let's not undervalue IW's work ethic and determination.

Archie Goodwin! C'mon, he played in about 10 games. We all want IW to do well and are concerned about potential obstacles but these are not major obstacles. Let's not undervalue IW's work ethic and determination.
I have a different take. I think de Angelo russel is the one with the problem. Isaiah plays defense....russel not so much..russel is a very expensive contract..iw not so much...
I like iw chances just fine...I think he is working twice as hard someplace as the next guy in line..you wanna compete against iw..go ahead and bring it.. they will build the Mexican wall before this kid backs down!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT