ADVERTISEMENT

Delgado's Return = Lots of Money?

400SOAVE

All American
Jan 24, 2009
There's a monetary benefit from today's news. Delgado's return to South Orange has the potential to earn SHU athletics million$.

How?

-The Pirates just became a much more attractive TV game. As networks are putting together their schedules for the fall, a team from the No. 1 TV market at the top of the Big East that's ranked is very desirable. Delgado will be a big college star who also happens to have a giant personality.

If the SHU schedule is not complete they now have a lot more leverage to create a made-for-TV game/event.

SHU has a good chance of breaking last season's Villanova home game attendance total.

-If the Pirates are ranked all season and get on a roll, increased attendance will bring in more money. And more meat in the seats means more money from concessions and merchandise. The Pirates get a percentage concessions at the Rock.

-If they make a deep run at MSG and the NCAA that will also bring in a lot of money. Those NCAA credits pay dividends for years.

-If they have a great year that could attract more top recruits who will allow the Pirates to remain ranked.

Lots of ifs. But the ingredients are there for a big windfall.

Will be very interesting to see what kind of attendance the Hall gets for home games this upcoming season. You would think there would be a pretty big increase but I'm pretty skeptical of that happening. Really should have lower bowl sold out for almost every home Big East game. Is 10,000 too much to ask?

Hopefully we will have good home attendance that we can open the upper deck a lot during the big east season.

Will be very interesting to see what kind of attendance the Hall gets for home games this upcoming season. You would think there would be a pretty big increase but I'm pretty skeptical of that happening. Really should have lower bowl sold out for almost every home Big East game. Is 10,000 too much to ask?
Last season they averaged 7,954 in 14 games. Now that they can build momentum before summer has arrived I have to think they can reach 10,000.

I also have to believe they will step up the promotion to students, alumni and former season ticket holders.

They need to hype this big-time. There's a lot to play up.

Last edited:
Everybody agrees next season's schedule is the best in years. Combine that with the senior-led Pirates and you have to think there will be a sharp increase in attendance.

If SHU can market this year's squad correctly, there is no reason they can't draw 10k plus on a consistent basis.

10,000 is or is not too much to ask for depending on it gets marketed and the selling price. Charge the same price and I still highly doubt the casual fan shows up to the cupcakes or the Midwest teams with 9pm weeknight tip offs. Right now is still not the time to go for people's wallets. I think they got to get people i the doors. Then once Seton Hall games become a must see event then go for the wallet.

Hopefully the optimism here proves true. I think a sweet 16 appearance would have done wonders for attendance this season. Even with the roster shu has coming back, it may take some time to garner national respect.

Pretty much most of this is incorrect and will not result in any more revenue for Seton Hall:

- Fox Sports owns all the TV rights and appearing on national TV on Fox or CBS results in ZERO additional revenue for Seton Hall.

- Increased attendance/donations is really the only way Seton Hall can monetize any success.

- NCAA credits are paid to the conference and shared equally. The only thing that matters is the number of Big East teams that make the Dance and how well they do in the Dance, NOT whether Seton Hall even makes the Dance.

Pretty much most of this is incorrect and will not result in any more revenue for Seton Hall:

- Fox Sports owns all the TV rights and appearing on national TV on Fox or CBS results in ZERO additional revenue for Seton Hall.

- Increased attendance/donations is really the only way Seton Hall can monetize any success.

- NCAA credits are paid to the conference and shared equally. The only thing that matters is the number of Big East teams that make the Dance and how well they do in the Dance, NOT whether Seton Hall even makes the Dance.

You left out increase in wins = increase in merchandise sales.

So if a Big East team is in the top 10 all year, plays three top ten OOC games on national TV, wins the BE title and makes the Final Four, that team will earn as much in TV money as the last place team that's a one-and-done at MSG and plays zero post-season games?

Are you also saying that SHU is not free to set up an OOC TV game, offer it to FOX and if FOX refuses the game, SHU can't offer it to another outlet?

Last edited:
So if a Big East team is in the top 10 all year, plays three top ten OOC games on national TV, wins the BE title and makes the Final Four, that team will earn as much in TV money as the last place team that's a one-and-done at MSG and plays zero post-season games?

Pretty much yes, that's one of the reasons conferences are formed.

Are you also saying that SHU is not free to set up an OOC TV game, offer it to FOX and if FOX refuses the game, SHU can't offer it to another outlet?

Correct, there are several tiers of TV rights and Fox owns them all for every Big East team.

Regarding the credits, as you stated, the more you advance the more money you make. Therefore, the more the Pirates advance the more money they're putting into the pool.

True but it doesn't matter if it's Seton Hall or DePaul that's advancing, Seton Hall would still get the same amount of revenue.

Right now it's about $27,000 per Big East team each year for 6 years for every NCAA game a Big East member plays in.

NCAA credits are paid to the conference and shared equally. The only thing that matters is the number of Big East teams that make the Dance and how well they do in the Dance, NOT whether Seton Hall even makes the Dance.

Are you sure about that? The individual schools doesn't get a higher percentage of that money for going further? While I understand conference members sharing money, I find it hard to believe that Villanova and Seton Hall receive the same amount of money for Villanova making it to the championship game?

The biggest gain for the school is not measured in anything that 400 pointed out... its in the free PR and promotion a successful season generates.

The more publicity generated, the more kids will apply to the school. And hopefully, the more alums will donate.
Ive always said i only knew that shu existed because i filled them out on the bracket.

Also, the pr has already been huge. For everyone involved. Delgado was on the espn bottom ticker all day yesterday. No chance shu or delgado ever becomes news like that often. If delgado left he gor sure wouldnt have been on there.

We should be thankful for the revenue sharing as The Hall went 10 years without an NCAA berth yet shared in revenues of all the teams that did... Yes, The Hall has at least contributed the last 2 years and hopefully will do more than that next year, but The Hall has been the beneficiary of that sharing for most of their time in the Big East...making the Dance 11 times in 38 years of the Big East...

Actually, a lot of that more recent revenue was given back by everyone in the C7 in order to take control of the Big East name, MSG and records. That wasn't just handed over by UConn and the rest.

Reactions: Piratz
Pretty much yes, that's one of the reasons conferences are formed.

Correct, there are several tiers of TV rights and Fox owns them all for every Big East team.
Show me the contract. I don't believe it.

Under your scenario, DePaul made the exact same amount of TV money for the entire season as when Villanova the won the NCAA championship two years ago.

Under your scenario, Seton Hall can set up a home game with Duke, sell out the Rock and Fox can refuse to televise the game and SHU has no alternative. CBS, NBC and ABC can come calling, but FOX can say there will be no TV anywhere for that game.

Nobody would agree to such a contract. No team gets rewarded for winning.

I'm pretty sure that in the old Big East teams kept half their NCAA money and the other half went into a pool for all teams.

Under your scenario, DePaul made the exact same amount of TV money for the entire season as when Villanova the won the NCAA championship two years ago.

Under your scenario, Seton Hall can set up a home game with Duke, sell out the Rock and Fox can refuse to televise the game and SHU has no alternative. CBS, NBC and ABC can come calling, but FOX can say there will be no TV anywhere for that game.

I'm pretty sure that in the old Big East teams kept half their NCAA money and the other half went into a pool for all teams.

I can think of several scenarios where a group of schools whose very existence depended on landing a tv deal would agree to such terms.

Wrong on all accounts.

The conference affiliation becomes the tide that raises all boats. What do you have without it? Nothing. You think any of these schools are better of as independents? It's similar to a group purchasing model in some ways.

The conference affiliation becomes the tide that raises all boats. What do you have without it? Nothing. You think any of these schools are better of as independents? It's similar to a group purchasing model in some ways.
I'm not disputing that there's revenue sharing nor its importance. I'm questioning that in Villanova's NCAA championship season they pulled in the same overall TV money for the entire season as the last place Big East team that didn't play in the post-season.

Does that make sense to anybody?

theyre gonna make so much money on SHU big east champion tshirts and also the SHU final four t shirts. i might buy all of them.

There's a monetary benefit from today's news. Delgado's return to South Orange has the potential to earn SHU athletics million$.

How?

-The Pirates just became a much more attractive TV game. As networks are putting together their schedules for the fall, a team from the No. 1 TV market at the top of the Big East that's ranked is very desirable. Delgado will be a big college star who also happens to have a giant personality.

If the SHU schedule is not complete they now have a lot more leverage to create a made-for-TV game/event.

SHU has a good chance of breaking last season's Villanova home game attendance total.

-If the Pirates are ranked all season and get on a roll, increased attendance will bring in more money. And more meat in the seats means more money from concessions and merchandise. The Pirates get a percentage concessions at the Rock.

-If they make a deep run at MSG and the NCAA that will also bring in a lot of money. Those NCAA credits pay dividends for years.

-If they have a great year that could attract more top recruits who will allow the Pirates to remain ranked.

Lots of ifs. But the ingredients are there for a big windfall..
If feces were butter, you wouldn't have to buy it

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not disputing that there's revenue sharing nor its importance. I'm questioning that in Villanova's NCAA championship season they pulled in the same overall TV money for the entire season as the last place Big East team that didn't play in the post-season.

Does that make sense to anybody?

It's pooled, just like Villanova will benefit if they have a down year and others excel. Nova benefited in other ways.

Listen to SPK.

Reactions: lloyde dobler
It all comes down to can Seton Hall draw for the upcoming season. This is by far and away the best consumed roster in a very long time. Lots of expectations but does that bring people out to Newark. You would think 10,000 is an attainable number vs. Indiana and most of the other Big East games. Will that happen?

April 6, 2016

"We do not split monies evenly," said John Pacquette, a spokesman for the Big East, who declined to disclose how the money was divided or discuss the reasons for the policy. "All schools receive money."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-financial-impact-of-championship-basketball/

I am a little surprised by that statement, especially as the article indicates most conferences now split things evenly. While I still suspect the most of the money is still split pretty evenly, but there may be some type of bonus pool that is distributed based on actual results. Interesting.

April 9, 2016

Many conferences split their Basketball Fund payments evenly, but others like the Big East offer a performance-based incentive to the schools that earn NCAA bids. That means that after playing in three straight NCAAs, Providence would see more of the money than a school like Marquette, which has missed the tourney in each of the conference’s first three seasons.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/20160409/big-east-basketball-not-among-top-money-makers

Last edited:
Reactions: catholicman
The Big East divvies up funds from the NCAA equally after paying traveling expenses for championships (conference and national) as well each school gets their respective share of NCAA funds that are paid to each conference based on a set amount (VERY small) per scholarship offered by each school. Obviously as the school with a very low amount of scholarships, other schools get more than Seton Hall from this aspect of NCAA funds.

Reactions: Pirate6711
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT