ADVERTISEMENT

Dick Vitale Has Vocal Cord Cancer

Hall-O-Daze

All Big East
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2020
Up in the clouds
espn Dick Vitale

I know he gets kind of a mixed reaction here, understandably, but I am hoping I have not heard him call his last game yet. He definitely has his critics, and people will say what they will, but his enthusiasm and love of college hoops always came across as nothing but 100% genuine. Hoping he gets through this and wishing him a speedy recovery so I can hear him, once again, become overwhelming and bombastic about college hoops as he raves about Diaper Dandies.

Dick Vitale reveals he has vocal cord cancer and will undergo radiation​

By Ryan Glasspiegel

Dick Vitale, the venerable ESPN college basketball analyst, revealed a new cancer diagnosis on Wednesday.

Vitale, who previously battled melanoma and Lymphoma, said he had vocal cord tissue removed and analyzed at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston earlier this week.

As a result of that analysis, Vitale announced, he will be undergoing radiation to treat vocal cord cancer.

“I’m sorry to share that I received tough news today from Dr. Zeitels about my throat,” Vitale wrote on Twitter. “The tests on the tissues they removed showed that I have vocal cord cancer and will need six weeks of radiation to treat it. Dr. Z tells me that it has an extremely high cure rate, and that radiation, not surgery is the best path.”

Last April, Vitale celebrated after learning that he was cancer-free following a seven-month bout with Lymphoma.

In his announcement Wednesday, Vitale said he aims to recover and return on air in time for college basketball season.

“I plan to fight like hell to be ready to call games when the college hoops season tips off in the Fall,” he continued. “Dr. Z feels that scenario is entirely possible. I want to say that I have been so touched by the tweets, texts, notes, and prayers, and will ask all of you to continue to send positive vibes.

“This time last year, I was on the ESPYS stage, asking everyone to help in the cancer fight. This terrible disease strikes so many of our loved ones, and it’s now knocked on my door three different times. More research will continue to help in this fight.”

dick-vitale.jpeg

Dick Vitale revealed a throat cancer diagnosis on Wednesday.
Twitter / Dick Vitale

Vitale finished his announcement with an upbeat message.

“I’m grateful to my immediate family as well as my ESPN family for their incredible support, and so appreciative of the outstanding team of medical experts whose dedication has such a positive impact on so many lives,” Vitale wrote.

“Love to all!” he concluded.

Vitale joined ESPN for the 1979-80 season as an analyst and was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2008.

Regardless of my professional thoughts on him, he doesn't deserve to suffer like this. Seems very treatable but the data shows he still has a long road ahead of him even if / once this clears up.

Reactions: PMB Pirate
It seems hat once cancer gains a foothold it constantly re-emerges in new forms and in different places in the body. Why is that? It’s incredibly complex. Book suggestion: The Song of the Cell.

Reactions: PMB Pirate
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT