ADVERTISEMENT

Do you feel the NCAA and the schools should put a stop to this?

Yes. Do not like the fans charging the court. However, the player that threw the punch should get suspended 10 games. No excuse for his behavior.

Reactions: Bluebeard
Court storming should disappear the same way that streamers and toilet paper after the first basket went away.

I would suggest we wait and make sure he wasn't hit first. The video doesn't seem to offer that but who knows? Maybe there are other angles that will come out. Or eye witnesses who can add to the situation.

That said, the rushing of the court has to stop. It's just too dangerous.

Define hit? He was bumped into but that is no reason to clock the fan. Unless player was punched but doubt it looking at video.

All I'm saying is there is no need to rush to judgement. If he did as you believe he did surely a suspension, and a serious one is warranted.

Understood. Just making a comment and giving an opinion based on the video. I am not the NCAA or judge.;). Anyway, let's wait. Agreed.

Last edited:
Nope. Just another sign of an ever softening society. Let students have fun when their team wins a big game.

This is a WVU issue and a WVU issue only.

Disagree. It's both an insurance issue and a personal one if someone gets hurt.

So out of a thousand people one accidentally almost gets hurt. Now we all have to suffer
with a new "don't have fun" rule. I know, let's impose a tax for storming the court.

Conferences do fine schools.

And a kid did get paralyzed several years back at Stanford.

And the sports writer got trampled and had his leg badly broken at Iowa-Iowa State last year.

Disagree. It's both an insurance issue and a personal one if someone gets hurt.

Exactly. Lawyers and money have ruined a lot of things in sports over the last decade.

Let 'em have fun.

So out of a thousand people one accidentally almost gets hurt. Now we all have to suffer
with a new "don't have fun" rule. I know, let's impose a tax for storming the court.

Agreed. Risk is part of life. You storm the court, you assume the risk. 99.9% won't get hurt.

What about that zaniness when fans would tear down the goal post after a big win in college. Hard to believe that used to happen, in retrospect, given how dangerous that is/was. Can't say I've seen that in recent years.

First of all security and the WVU coaches should have immediately gotten the players into the locker room. The players should not have still been on the court just standing around.

As a visiting player, you just played a high intensity emotional game where the student section most likely was not very nice to you, then when game is over they rush on the court, with absolute no control or rules and complete recklessness. I would be very defensive and agitated and looking for one of them to do something. That is why the players should have been immediately led off the court and into the locker room.

I still love the emotion. Let's not take that out of college bb. Maybe a rule should allow losing team off the court first

West Virginia player gets slap on the wrist for punching court-storming Texas Tech fan

The Big 12 reprimanded WVU player Wesley Harris for hitting a Texas Tech fan who rushed the court

The Big 12 fined Texas Tech $25,000 and reprimanded West Virginia forward Wesley Harris for hitting a fan after Texas Tech supporters stormed the court following the Red Raiders' 72-71 win over No. 2 West Virginia on Saturday.

Commissioner Bob Bowlsby said in a statement that Texas Tech did not ensure the safety or security of West Virginia players. And while the postgame environment "did not live up to our expectations" as Bowlsby said, "Mr. Harris intentionally striking a fan is contrary to the Conference's Sportsmanship standards."

"We have a duty to provide a safe game environment," Bowlsby said. "The Texas Tech Department of Athletics has a written event management policy which was unsuccessful in ensuring the safety and security of the visiting team game participants. Although the Big 12 Conference does not currently have a policy prohibiting spectators from entering playing areas for post-game celebrations, it is of utmost importance that home game management provide adequate security measures for our student-athletes, coaches, game officials and spectators."

Video of the postgame scene went viral on Saturday night after a closer inspection showed Harris, a sophomore, throwing a punch at a frenzied Red Raiders fan on the floor. Other Mountaineers players also were involved in mild skirmishes in the incident, however Harris was the only player reprimanded.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...t-for-punching-court-storming-texas-tech-fan/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT