ADVERTISEMENT

Dre Davis Enters Portal

You can verify this on the internet if you care. Many lottery winners were very happy short term to win the many millions only to see all the money gone due to many factors like using it to try to buy happiness. Material things really don't last long. Friendships and relationships can last forever. Now these once millionaires are not so happy and actually depressed. They have many regrets. The pendulum of life will swing in both directions!

I am with you. Maybe I am a jerk, but I wont think much about him. If he is on TV I may watch a little. I wasnt certain if Ty was on Fla of Fl St for most of the year.

I hope he and his family have a good life.

I dont root for Joc Peterson since the Dodgers traded him.

I root for my team. The experience of seeing a kid choose SHU and watch him grow into manhood is maybe something that is gone. And for me it was one of the real joys of college hoops. I have often called our coach the Great Shaheen. And as great as he was as a player, the reason I did was cause as I watched him grow, I thought I was watching a kid who got it. As a human.

I'll give what I can to nil/pfp cause I love SHU hoops and think good hoops is a positive for SHU. I also think it pathetic that a place of learning is so effected by its sports teams. But that thought predates nil by decades.

My days of having a personal attachment to our players is gone. Supporting Seton Hall basketball always meant more to me than just having the best players. Our school and our program have never been put on a pedestal; we're a small blip on the college athletics radar. To that end, I always felt like when a kid came to school here to play basketball, it's because they wanted to be here and wanted to represent our University. There's a lot of pride in that.

Maybe not every player got here because of that initially, but once they did get here you could feel it from them. When you succeed as a perceived underdog, you get a feeling that's hard to replicate. When you walk into some voluntarily as an underdog, that feeling magnifies. So when our players achieved things, I really did believe they were achieving things with both the name on the front and on the back in mind. That's all gone now.

So while I appreciate the product on the court, there's no mystery as to why the effort is being put forth. It's because of the check, and not because of the name or the brand. Dre Davis was my "Favorite" player on this team. I absolutely hold nothing against him for the business decision he made. Whatever the orated reasons where, that decision was made for $$$, plain and simple. This wasn't "I'm going home"; this was "I'm going 9 hours from home for a BAG". I respect it, I'm a parent too and you gotta do what's best for your family's future. That said, he isn't a "Pirate 4 life" in my eyes. He's a kid who played for the Pirates and won something while he was here. No different than how there are "Yankees" and "guys who played for the Yankees". I don't mean that in a negative sense, but how am I supposed to look at him in the same vein that I do a Donald Copeland, or a John Allen, or a Brandon Mobley? I'm sure many will disagree with my take, but that's what it is. Not getting mad or resenting the players, I just don't care. You get paid, largely by the fanbase, so do your job. You choose to do it elsewhere for money, see you later.

I really wish we had this version of Shaheen, right now, running our ship in the old college landscape. Would have been a blast.

this is why i love having Sha. hes the one person we can root for that's not the mascot.

btw, how are any of these guys graduating? credits don't transfer to everywhere.
was thinking same thing..... about credits and graduation..... Is Dre getting his bachelor degree this year?

Best of luck to Dre in his quest for back-to-back NIT championships!
LOL.

I wouldn't sleep on Beard though. Whatever you think of the guy, he's an excellent coach. He spent one season -- one -- at a mid major that isn't anything close to a power, won a million games and knocked off a big boy in the Dance. He then takes Texas Tech -- not exactly a basketball powerhouse -- to an Elite 8 in year 2 and national title game in year 3.

900k sounds right. There was only 1 other school willing to come to the table USC.

The fact someone like Dre had no other visits with an agent shows that no one else was in the ballpark.

Reactions: newshu1
Who knows at this point. The joke is more about this moment of college sports where a school with literally zero basketball pedigree can simply buy a player of Dre’s caliber.
its not like it didn't happen before. but it was more so out of highschool not another team let alone a better one

its not like it didn't happen before. but it was more so out of highschool not another team let alone a better one
That’s true, although it’s still disheartening to see him commit to ending his career at a school where basketball might even be third fiddle to football and baseball. Really shows that it’s strictly about cash now in a way it never was before.

That’s true, although it’s still disheartening to see him commit to ending his career at a school where basketball might even be third fiddle to football and baseball. Really shows that it’s strictly about cash now in a way it never was before.
not the players fault i'd do the same thing every time. take advantage while u can.

ole miss has had competitive teams in the past

not the players fault i'd do the same thing every time. take advantage while u can.

Again, not a comment on Dre rather the conditions NIL + unlimited transfers has created. It’s incentivizing short term monetary gain for these kids over everything else.

Of course any 20 year old will take the money, but I have a feeling that 20 years from now a lot of them will look back and regret what could’ve been had they stayed put at one school.

Again, not a comment on Dre rather the conditions NIL has created. It’s incentivizing short term monetary gain for these kids over everything else.

Of course any 20 year old will take the money, but I have a feeling that 20 years from now a lot of them will look back and regret what could’ve been had they stayed put at one school.
I'll say this half the guys in the NBA wouldn't be in the NBA had they played in the Era of NIL jumping from team to team

Got some money. Change of scenery and lower cost of living. It’s not him living in a dorm. It’s him, presumably the baby and the mom. Wouldn’t be surprised if decent off campus housing and other benefits came with his deal.

A bunch of people acting as if it's so unlikely he could end up having more success (plus more money) leaving SHU than staying. I agree it sucks for fans. But that's as far as I'll go.

Reactions: SPK145
Best of luck to Dre in his quest for back-to-back NIT championships!
I read a week ago how awesome it is to be NIT champions. Back to back must be twice as awesome. I guess enough time has passed that we can go back to anything less than the NCAA tournament means we didn’t achieve the goal.

Reactions: SPK145
Noah Reisenfeld. Dre’s “agent”.

It’s honestly disappointing and telling that Dre decides this is the type of person and image that he wants to represent him and his family.

This guy looks like a complete deuche and somebody out to steal Dre’s and every other one of his clients money.

NIL era has let sleazy young kids like this with no substance and no expertise make a quick buck off kids like Dre who I guess don’t know any better. Especially perplexing given Dre’s dad’s background as a coach
I have a feeling Sha will still be a part of Dre’s life long after Noah Resienfield exits the picture.

Reactions: Wolf11642
was thinking same thing..... about credits and graduation..... Is Dre getting his bachelor degree this year?
Maybe the "rules" here have changed as well. After just his senior year, can Dylan get a degree from Seton Hall? Does Posh graduate from Butler?

And tell me if this is true for a "grad student": Do the "rules" state that one has to work full-time to a degree. In grad school is that 9 or 12 credits? But if a player plans to leave after the season (and grad work is a ruse), can he just register for second semester classes, not attend, and bolt at season's end?

I realize few care about this; I'm just curious.

Maybe the "rules" here have changed as well. After just his senior year, can Dylan get a degree from Seton Hall? Does Posh graduate from Butler?

And tell me if this is true for a "grad student": Do the "rules" state that one has to work full-time to a degree. In grad school is that 9 or 12 credits? But if a player plans to leave after the season (and grad work is a ruse), can he just register for second semester classes, not attend, and bolt at season's end?

I realize few care about this; I'm just curious.
i dont know how any of these guys are actually graduating. he universities are totally in on letting the rules slide.

a normal student would never be able to transfer to anywhere multiple times and make it work

People are wondering what transfer we will get to replace Dre, whether Prince steps up or someone yet to come... But honestly I think it's gonna be Wusu.

Look at the jump Dre took from 22/23 to 23/24. That can be Wusu this year. We know he has another offensive gear and showed glimpses in the NIT. A little more consistent 3pt% back to St Johns numbers and some more opportunities and he could easily jump into the 13+ pt range.

Reactions: SOpirate
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT