ADVERTISEMENT

Dre Davis Enters Portal

A bummer, but I don't think anyone didn't realize this was coming. I thought of everyone, he was the likeliest to leave. The entire context has changed, and the way I feel about it has, too. But Dre gave it his all when he was here, never taking a play off, and fulfilled the terms of his engagement about as well as we could've bargained for. And in this context, I'm thankful for it, grateful to him for the effort, and sorry to him go. There are no hard feelings. In fact, I wish him well. But he's moved on and I have, too.

I'm glad to see the talent finally being compensated for the value they bring to the sport, but I lament the loss of the sustained connections to the four-year players, the ones you watch grow and develop and make you feel like, "Yes, that guy is one of us." The shame of it is that Dre had all of the characteristics of one of those guys.

Unfortunate for Seton Hall but great for Davis and his family. In these stupid free agency times, everybody should maximize their earning potential. There's no concept (as their shouldn't be when money/lives are involved) of loyalty by school, coach, or student athlete.

Don't fault Dre at all for taking the money. This leads to a larger convo about the current state of the sport as this is technically his 2nd transfer. Dre took photos with my son when they came back from the NIT and is such a good all around guy. I'd do the same if I was him... but man it's hard after every season to do a complete reconstruction. NCAA needs to step in and soon.

Very curious to hear the reports of what NIL $$$ he’s going to get.

And he deserves every penny he gets, don’t get me wrong. I would do the same thing with a young daughter to provide for.

Don't fault Dre at all for taking the money. This leads to a larger convo about the current state of the sport as this is technically his 2nd transfer. Dre took photos with my son when they came back from the NIT and is such a good all around guy. I'd do the same if I was him... but man it's hard after every season to do a complete reconstruction. NCAA needs to step in and soon.
Even under the old rules and 1 transfer this would still be allowed as he will be a grad transfer

Ever since reading that his parents moved back home to Indiana I expected this, but it doesn’t make it any easier. It’s a bittersweet day. Out of all of the departures in the last year or so this one by far hurts the most. Dre was everything you wanted a face of your program to be: a fantastic, unselfish player, a Dean’s list student, an ambassador and just an overall good person.

This isn’t a slight against Kadary, but there was a huge part of me that hoped we could give the bulk of whatever NIL we had to retain both to Dre and use a platoon at point guard with a postgrad and Felton. I wanted to see what Dre would do as the undisputed leader of this team next year. But it wasn’t meant to be..

I’m very happy for Dre and his family. Will be praying and rooting for them.

Congratulations to him and his family. Hopefully this means he is getting a good payday. I loved his toughness and tenacity and his fundamental basketball skills. He was our most efficient player shooting the ball and seemed to make those tough baskets/get the key rebound exactly when we needed it. Terrific player that we will miss. He was fun to have on our team while he was here. Hopefully he feels like he will always be a Pirate.

And even more credit to him for playing his ass off in the NIT knowing he was an injury away from jeopardizing a payday.
He was an injury away, but I think he also had the opportunity to earn more with the way he played and I hope he did. All eyes are on Kooks.

Reactions: Piratz
How much might Ole Miss pay him? Not a real power house. If Tyrese commanded $300K......

Wish him well. Hope he sticks around to graduate. Definitely think he should take it now, but don't see it continuing for him once the gig is up.

You want to be a major player for the 2nd weekend need a 3 to 5 million dollar bankroll....even the wagner kid left

Wish dre the best he was terrific for us tgis yr. Lijed everything about him. But jerry talks of a foundation having been laid.

We have no foundation. We have some nice pieces and a coach i can believe in. If the so-called foundation doesnt get a lots of new cinder blocks it isnt gonna stand

Wish dre the best he was terrific for us tgis yr. Lijed everything about him. But jerry talks of a foundation having been laid.

We have no foundation. We have some nice pieces and a coach i can believe in. If the so-called foundation doesnt get a lots of new cinder blocks it isnt gonna stand
Way it’s going to be. The failure to uphold the one free transfer is the killer.

Didn't know you could sign with an agent and still play college ball?My the world has changed.Given he's graduated, has a kid and his wife is out of her eligibility it makes sense to get back to Indiana.Purdue,ND,Indiana or Butler would be happy to have him.

Thanks for everything Dre and all the best.Now SHU moves on.

Can we not afford what hell get elsewhere?

I always thought it was more than that for him. His girlfriend also finished this season. They’re both from Indianapolis where they’d likely have a support system to help with their kid. Made sense to me that he would head out that way.

Reactions: NYC Pirate
I'm glad to see the talent finally being compensated for the value they bring to the sport, but I lament the loss of the sustained connections to the four-year players, the ones you watch grow and develop and make you feel like, "Yes, that guy is one of us." The shame of it is that Dre had all of the characteristics of one of those guys.
The lack of 3 and 4 year players is a reason I'm just thinking of going back to watch my old high school play or maybe get devils tickets. Watching the 89 team, the 93 team, Sha, Dre, Copeland, Whitehead, Powell, Gill, Mamu and Rhoden develop is my favorite part of being a fan. Those days are gone. Sadly.

This may be the first thread I have seen on here in which everyone is civilized and wishing someone well. Usually there are 1 or 2 idiots with hot takes or something bad to say. As everyone has said worst secret out there that he was gone and you have to be Happy for him and his family.

SHU can't compete at macro level
We unfortunately got a very late start because our people wanted to watch what everyone else was doing. Hopefully we get/have the right people in place who aren’t afraid of success and we can make up the lost ground .

Reactions: PF58
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT