ADVERTISEMENT

Dre Davis Enters Portal

I’m not sure I would agree with that. You need bodies at the end of the bench that can play in case of emergency (injury or deep foul trouble), and as long as they have potential and are showing material improvement, why not? Focus your recruiting and money on those eight rotation players.

The 9-13 positions are also familiar with Sha’s practices culture and procedures and provide continuity.
But 9-13 might seriously consider moving-on, even to mid majorville; esp. since a year ago they were probably told by our staff that the were really good.

But 9-13 might seriously consider moving-on, even to mid majorville; esp. since a year ago they were probably told by our staff that the were really good.
They might but that’s their choice. If one of those players is a great practice player (effort), a good citizen and is getting better, give them an NIL bump in year two. My point is that you don’t need (or have to pay for) ready for prime time rotation players if you see something in them (see Hurley’s interview on family, etc.).

Nganga and Arda have size. You can’t teach that.

Reactions: Bluebeard
Nganga and Arda have size. You can’t teach that.

And also aren't eligible for NIL money.

Probably depends on how we do with the portal though. As of today, there is plenty of time available for them to play/develop next year. That may not be the case in a couple weeks

Court vision? How about the pass he threw into the 7th row at Walsh Gynasium vs North Texas. Guy looks like a deer in the headlights when get gets game action
All opinion. I never thought he looked lost out there. Did he not play well - absolutely. He has raw talent and yes he has good passing instincts. Execution was a problem. You said you would run him off as a lost cause. I disagreed and told you why. I get you disagree.

Reactions: PROF Ed
He definitely has athletic ability and has length, but is very raw. He has upside but he needs to learn the game. I will trust Sha to assess if he’s a good student, will put the time in and learn. He is a tall Harolds Karlis right now. Runs around a lot but out of position too often. He gets rebounds on ability only.
Court vision? How about the pass he threw into the 7th row at Walsh Gynasium vs North Texas. Guy looks like a deer in the headlights when get gets game action

Reactions: hallwins
If the players are going to be mercenaries and transfer yearly, then if you do not perform you should be shown the door. Sorry cold world.

Reactions: doctorcb12
Such a great pass and screen by Kadary to get Dre going on that play. But then Dre takes it to the hoop against three Ind St players and scores! It happened so quickly I never knew there were that many defenders there and he used that spin move he practices so often to get the basket. I will miss him!

If the players are going to be mercenaries and transfer yearly, then if you do not perform you should be shown the door. Sorry cold world.
But if you’re not paying the 9-13 guys and they have potential why would you show them the door?

But if you’re not paying the 9-13 guys and they have potential why would you show them the door?
because they do not have potential if you take your blue glasses off, and you can get a better 9-13 group that don't cost much as well. Churn the bottom every year with better talent

because they do not have potential if you take your blue glasses off, and you can get a better 9-13 group that don't cost much as well. Churn the bottom every year with better talent
I disagree and will let Sha make that call since he has seen these guys practice all year. If all five (or none of the five) are on the roster next year I’m good with that.

Remember though you are asking to “find talent” with no money for those positions.

Reactions: halltheway
I disagree and will let Sha make that call since he has seen these guys practice all year. If all five (or none of the five) are on the roster next year I’m good with that.

Remember though you are asking to “find talent” with no money for those positions.
There are over 2,000 transfers in the portal, dozens of Jaden Bediakos are out there. Just have to put a premium on talent evaluation these days.

There are over 2,000 transfers in the portal, dozens of Jaden Bediakos are out there. Just have to put a premium on talent evaluation these days.
Jaden was a starter/rotation guy who we had to pay. We don’t have unlimited funds where you can pay 13 guys. Reality check.

We are talking about the 9-13 positions that are not getting minutes unless they breakthrough or there are major injuries.

Having good talent evaluators is definitely one of the main keys of survival for non football schools in today's college game. Just think where we'd be this past year without the portal.

My guess is that Dre wants to play somewhere in his home state although not sure why the Ole Miss speculation is so strong.

Gary Noll, a friend of mine saw Davis at Barclays the other day....

yNaPG58.jpeg

Reactions: DIMEDISHA13
Sha had a daughter too. It's called loyalty, and I'm sure we would pay Dre handsomely to stay but apparently not enough.

Danny Hurley rightly criticized the mercenary system - of course his guys have plenty of cash to stay put and have a championship-caliber team primed each year!
A bit ridiculous to compare a situation 30 years ago to the rule set in place today.

Sad. Everyone just wants a bag these days and they don't care about anything else.

Already transferred once and now gets a free fifth year to transfer without penalty and collect a large sum of money as a "college student." Such a ridiculous system. Wild times we live in.
it is a ridiculous system, but the players would
be stupid not to take advantage of it. the money is not insignificant

Reactions: setonball46
Saw something really bizarre today. CBS CBB has SHU at #25 in its way too early poll for next season. Really who are these writers? It says The hall will return its five of its top eight scorers excluding Dawes , Bediako and Davis and that Richmond will return to become BE player of the year! Yeah, we wish!

keeping your current players will cost a premium over new players. or at least it should. these guys know the system, know the coach, know conference, etc. continuity is the play now.

Seton Hall also had Koz and Brennan at the time, which probably kept us on par with the big boys.
Yup! And once they were gone Seton Hall basically did nothing to cultivate new relationships to replace them. Our fundraising overall is woefully bad. Hopefully the new president has some new ideas and will shake things up.

I th
Yup! And once they were gone Seton Hall basically did nothing to cultivate new relationships to replace them. Our fundraising overall is woefully bad. Hopefully the new president has some new ideas and will shake things up.
you’re being unfair.

I th

you’re being unfair.
Our alumni giving rate is about 8% and with NIL we’ve seen how smaller donors basically have to beg the university to ask them to donate and/or take their money. There are other issues as well. Exactly how am I being unfair?

Our alumni giving rate is about 8% and with NIL we’ve seen how smaller donors basically have to beg the university to ask them to donate and/or take their money. There are other issues as well. Exactly how am I being unfair?
Because you blame the folks asking and Not the folks with the alligator arms. This mantra of they don’t ask the right way; they don’t ask often enough; they ask too often; they need to be more innovative ignores the big elephant in the room. Our giving rate is on par with a school with a really large percentage of first gen college students. You learn many things at home. Folks may not like that but it’s true.

Because you blame the folks asking and Not the folks with the alligator arms. This mantra of they don’t ask the right way; they don’t ask often enough; they ask too often; they need to be more innovative ignores the big elephant in the room. Our giving rate is on par with a school with a really large percentage of first gen college students. You learn many things at home. Folks may not like that but it’s true.

No, I blame the folks who should be asking but don’t ask! No alligator arms here either. I give back because I like to pay it forward. If I waited for them to ask I would be donating little to nothing because that is the type of outreach I receive.

Reactions: Gohall129
As a former athlete at SH… our athletic department does a horrible job to engage athlete Alums. quite frankly an embarrassing job. Most SH athlete alums would donate if prompted. But we don’t prompt.
Its an interesting point. We had heard that Lyons did a lot to change that and was welcoming former athletes and doing more to engage current athletes when he was AD. How long ago were you and athlete at the Hall and how would you comment on the changes that Lyons put in place. I believe he added events for athletes only and also reached out to former athletes more but that is only what I had heard. Curious.

Reactions: LBP43
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT