ADVERTISEMENT

Dre Davis Enters Portal

I wish Dre the best. He’ll definitely be missed. I want guys here who want to be here. If someone is not happy with their current situation it will eventually make its way to the locker room and the court and that won’t be good for anyone.

We are all in this weird place regarding college basketball and especially SHU basketball. Being sad at losing one of the main pieces to our success this year.... and YES it was a success and at the same time being happy for Dre and his family. It is a testament to him not only as a basketball player, but also a solid personality who has earned our admiration. Now we have to steel ourselves for the next shoe to drop....... yup..... it's a weird place.

Reactions: Turiddu
All the best to Dre. Really good player, and appears to be great guy. You have to be numb to this era of the Portal. Almost seems logical now for anyone to do this assuming they make the right move.

All the best to Dre. Really good player, and appears to be great guy. You have to be numb to this era of the Portal. Almost seems logical now for anyone to do this assuming they make the right move.

Getting a chance to watch a kid develop over 4 years here is going to be rare for a while and that sucks as a fan. I don't blame the players at all and would tell my kids to do the same in that situation, it's just sad.

Sad. Everyone just wants a bag these days and they don't care about anything else.

Already transferred once and now gets a free fifth year to transfer without penalty and collect a large sum of money as a "college student." Such a ridiculous system. Wild times we live in.

Sad. Everyone just wants a bag these days and they don't care about anything else.

Already transferred once and now gets a free fifth year to transfer without penalty and collect a large sum of money as a "college student." Such a ridiculous system. Wild times we live in.
What would you do, especially if you have a 1 year old daughter?

Remember, this is an extra year option that won’t exist beyond this year.

Wish dre the best he was terrific for us tgis yr. Lijed everything about him. But jerry talks of a foundation having been laid.

We have no foundation. We have some nice pieces and a coach i can believe in. If the so-called foundation doesnt get a lots of new cinder blocks it isnt gonna stand

It's just a nothing burger pie in the sky comment on Carino's part. Media members can't dare criticize the program this day and age, especially the so-called "kids."

There is no such thing as a foundation in this bonkers world of "college" basketball.

I wish Dre the best. He’ll definitely be missed. I want guys here who want to be here. If someone is not happy with their current situation it will eventually make its way to the locker room and the court and that won’t be good for anyone.
I hear you SHUisNJ'steam, don't be down on Dre.It's in our court now. New World, someone said , it's corporate now. Sadly

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam

The 5th year won’t exist, but guys will be going from team to team with no penalty every year. Some guys have played for 4 schools, it’s just absurd. Imagine Patrick Mahomes going from team to team to team. It’s not good for the sport and it’s not good for the fans. It’s fun for the rich schools now but eventually this will wear thin and lose viewership. I won’t be missed but I’m pretty sure I’ll spend more on Devils tickets than Seton Hall tickets next season for the first time since Stevens and Brodeur were winning cups.

Reactions: shu09 and HALL85
It is only going to get worse. Midseason transfers are next.
We’re watching pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered right in front of our eyes. the combination of the schools, the NCAA and the NBA don’t have the balls to stop it. Players developing reputations as greedy and out for the money is not a good look for future nba players.

Sha had a daughter too. It's called loyalty, and I'm sure we would pay Dre handsomely to stay but apparently not enough.

Danny Hurley rightly criticized the mercenary system - of course his guys have plenty of cash to stay put and have a championship-caliber team primed each year!

Sucks to see him go, but had a feeling he'd be done. Can't turn down a pay day with family to support.
Hope he succeeds at his next stop.
Sucks and can’t imagine its best For his family with his child’s mom playing at St Peters. Hope is that great for the kid? Hope he’s just using it to set the market for what we need to come up with.

Sha had a daughter too. It's called loyalty, and I'm sure we would pay Dre handsomely to stay but apparently not enough.

Danny Hurley rightly criticized the mercenary system - of course his guys have plenty of cash to stay put and have a championship-caliber team primed each year!
Sha has a lucrative, seven figure guaranteed deal, that he probably just parlayed into something better via his agent putting him out there for the Ville opening, or which he will parlay it into something more if we have another solid season next year.

Very different than a young man with a kid talking about amounts that might be 10 times less than that next year and without anything guaranteed beyond next year. And this is coming from someone who thinks the concept of fan-funded collectives is an absolute joke of all jokes, especially during a time where the average family is struggling with things like grocery bills and how to deal with an emergency that costs a modest amount.

The way to stop this is simple. Sign them to non guaranteed contracts. If they don’t live up to contact they get cut and no one will pay them. They do they get the money they agreed to.

Sha has a lucrative, seven figure guaranteed deal, that he probably just parlayed into something better via his agent putting him out there for the Ville opening, or which he will parlay it into something more if we have another solid season next year.

Very different than a young man with a kid talking about amounts that might be 10 times less than that next year and without anything guaranteed beyond next year. And this is coming from someone who thinks the concept of fan-funded collectives is an absolute joke of all jokes, especially during a time where the average family is struggling with things like grocery bills and how to deal with an emergency that costs a modest amount.
Dre's parents missed the NIT championship because the dad took his wife to Dubai for her birthday. I don't think they are struggling and I think we could have come up with a nice package.

Now if he gets a pro deal or an amazing NIL deal at another college, so be it. Still pretty sickening state of affairs.

Dre's parents missed the NIT championship because the dad took his wife to Dubai for her birthday. I don't think they are struggling and I think we could have come up with a nice package.

Now if he gets a pro deal or an amazing NIL deal at another college, so be it. Still pretty sickening state of affairs.
Could that trip have been a gift to his parents as part of Dre’s deal to come/stay here for two years?

Very happy for Davis.

IMO, the as this shakes out, successful college hoops is the about the coach, the culture and in a larger scheme the institution. These kids are now transient so we’ll just have to find another player with the skill set of Davis. He’s not unique, there’s more talent than there are spots to play and money to pay.

A coach clearly can shape the roster and maximize the talent that he has assembled. Look at all the other schools, Nova is the poster child, they had the $ and the players but not the coach. Clearly had a larger NIL bankroll and more highly rated players. But we had Coach Sha and they had Neptune.

I will take a 25 season every single year. so I don’t disagree that we have to invest in the NL, but we also have to invest in the coaching staff and facilities, we seem to be doing.

I am nothing but extremely positive with all these developments.

Getting a chancedto watch a kid develop over 4 years here is going to be rare for a while and that sucks as a fan. I don't blame the players at all and would tell my kids to do the same in that situation, it's just sad.
It could be, for us, the only kids we see develop over four years are ones that aren't very good.

Very happy for Davis.

IMO, the as this shakes out, successful college hoops is the about the coach, the culture and in a larger scheme the institution. These kids are now transient so we’ll just have to find another player with the skill set of Davis. He’s not unique, there’s more talent than there are spots to play and money to pay.

A coach clearly can shape the roster and maximize the talent that he has assembled. Look at all the other schools
, Nova is the poster child, they had the $ and the players but not the coach. Clearly had a larger NIL bankroll and more highly rated players. But we had Coach Sha and they had Neptune.

I will take a 25 season every single year. so I don’t disagree that we have to invest in the NL, but we also have to invest in the coaching staff and facilities, we seem to be doing.

I am nothing but extremely positive with all these developments.
Nova assembled a fantasy league roster. Sha much more disciplined approach.

Now the search for a replacement who can score and rebound at the forward spot. Do we have one on the roster already? Tubek? NgaNga? Maybe or maybe not.

Was hoping he wouldn’t leave but happy he’s able to benefit from the hard work he put in.

When I coached, I had a few kids ask about leaving to go to “better” teams. I never discouraged it, even helped them.

After Tae left I thought Dre was gone - he stayed, and I’m thankful for that. Best of luck to him, wherever he goes, they will be getting a good one!

Nova assembled a fantasy league roster. Sha much more disciplined approach.
As a fan of Sha I'd like to believe that or did we get lucky and hard work made us luckier?

We were involved with lots of players that got better offers last year too. I think Sha also found a way to coach these guys up. Bediako was a great example. He was given an opportunity and he came through big time. NgaNga and Ozdogan not so much.

It's also a numbers game I believe. Gotta take a few chances and hope some of they pan out and be OK that a few won't.

It will be interesting to see how Sha handles the bottom of the roster too. Does he invite some of these kids back or cleans house. I don't think we have the $ to clean house and have to continue developing players if we can hold onto them.

As a fan of Sha I'd like to believe that or did we get lucky and hard work made us luckier?

We were involved with lots of players that got better offers last year too. I think Sha also found a way to coach these guys up. Bediako was a great example. He was given an opportunity and he came through big time. NgaNga and Ozdogan not so much.

It's also a numbers game I believe. Gotta take a few chances and hope some of they pan out and be OK that a few won't.

It will be interesting to see how Sha handles the bottom of the roster too. Does he invite some of these kids back or cleans house. I don't think we have the $ to clean house and have to continue developing players if we can hold onto them.
NgaNga and Ozdogan not so much. Not sure it's in anyone's best interest for them to come back.

This is always a 2 ways street. It takes both sides. We went from seeing Whitehead chucking 3's vs GW and getting benched vs WSU in OT to being the best player in the country. Is that all Willard? No. Is that all Whitehead? No Then we also had the Veer Singhs of the world. I'm hopeful Coleman and Sanders stay. I'm also hopeful EHE and Brown raise their games big time. I'm guessing it's only a matter of time until Richmond has his thread of entering the portal so we need a good amount of improvement. It starts with the player and if the player buys in it gives the the coach a chance to work his magic.

Seton Hall’s NIL is much better this year and that’s great considering we likely have to replace 4 starters, 2 of which were All-BE caliber and another two that were very good in their roles. Why we went 13-7. Addae-Wusu, Coleman, Sanders, and Hutchins-Everett all need to take the next step here under Holloway, so a big summer for them if they’re all back (DAW would be a graduate so he doesn’t have the May 1 deadline). We’ll see how it all shakes out, but I wonder if Coleman can play a little of the undersized-4 that Davis did.

But beyond that, our bench last year was such a weak spot that Holloway couldn’t even play them. I’m talking about the group consisting of Tubek, NgaNga, Brown, Ozdogan, and Harris (injured). And they were getting injured in practice too. That’s a ton of roster space that contributed next-to-nothing over 37 games. We’ll see if he’s confident to roll it back with that same group and hope they improve enough to actually be in the rotation. That may be our reality because of budget constraints and the need to splurge on starter-level players to offset Richmond, Davis, Dawes, and Bediako.

NgaNga and Ozdogan not so much. Not sure it's in anyone's best interest for them to come back.
I’m not sure I would agree with that. You need bodies at the end of the bench that can play in case of emergency (injury or deep foul trouble), and as long as they have potential and are showing material improvement, why not? Focus your recruiting and money on those eight rotation players.

The 9-13 positions are also familiar with Sha’s practices culture and procedures and provide continuity.

I’m not sure I would agree with that. You need bodies at the end of the bench that can play in case of emergency (injury or deep foul trouble), and as long as they have potential and are showing material improvement, why not? Focus your recruiting and money on those eight rotation players.

The 9-13 positions are also familiar with Sha’s practices culture and procedures and provide continuity.
Overall we’re not accounting for the fact we had Brown, NgaNga, Ozdogan in a 12 man roster. You can afford to keep all 3 on a 13 man roster. Harris moving off scholarship is huge for us

Reactions: thehall07
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT