ADVERTISEMENT

Duke or North Carolina

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Since we debated ESPN's article yesterday regarding the best college program in each state I thought we should focus here on one state for today's question. North Carolina.

ESPN's Medcalf chose Duke, do you agree?

I'll start out by going against Medcalf and choosing North Carolina.

I'll give my reasons later as to not influence other responses.

Having lived in NC it is not Duke based on fan allegiance in the state. Many North Carolinians despise Duke almost as much as we do. Why, because most students come from outside of NC, many from the NE and Midwest. The program that's revered in NC is UNC. Anybody who is any body in the state went to UNC.

Don't get me wrong, UNC fans are obnoxious. But Duke fans overlay their obnoxiousness with an irritating level of superiority and smugness. From my time in the state here's my observation on the big four.

UNC: the state university is loved by most if not all North Carolinians.
Duke: hated almost everywhere by everyone.
Wake: everybody loves the underdog
NCState: who are they? If you can't get into UNC, apply here.

I'm surprised Medcalf didn't go with Appalachian State. You know, because you probably won't get fired after a bad season or two. It's all about job security.

Reactions: Halldan1
Off topic I know but I am still amazed nothing has happened to NC for the African American studies program shenanigans that occured for years. I mean common.

I think UNC is the best program in NCarolina with Duke a very close second. I do a lot of work in NC and like radecicco said UNC is clearly the favorite of anyone from NC. If UNC got sanctions like they should have maybe Duke gets the vote but it's hard to argue that both programs are not in the top 5 in the country in basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT