ADVERTISEMENT

Euro 2024

cernjSHU

All World
Gold Member
Jul 18, 2001
There are a few soccer fans on this board. Time for another great international tournament. As the tournament began, France, England and I believe Germany were the favorites. England has been pretty u derwhelming. France was disappointing in their match with The Dutch.

The two most impressive teams have been Germany and new-look Spain. Spain with an extremely young team with a 16 yr old starter now has speed on the wings. This has opened the offense wide open. After two matches I think Spain and Germany have looked too notch.

Honestly, I’m very disappointed with Croatia. They’ve been my team since they became eligible and qualified for their first World Cup in ‘98. Davor Suker(Sukerman!) took them all the way to the semifinals and the eventual bronze. What a run for a first time qualifier! Of course, their wild success in the last two World Cups is well documented.

Right now, as they’re a squad that is caught between some aging warriors and upcoming talent, perhaps expectations were realistically low. Still, a tie against Albania is crushing.

Honestly, I’m very disappointed with Croatia. They’ve been my team since they became eligible and qualified for their first World Cup in ‘98. Davor Suker(Sukerman!) took them all the way to the semifinals and the eventual bronze. What a run for a first time qualifier! Of course, their wild success in the last two World Cups is well documented.

Right now, as they’re a squad that is caught between some aging warriors and upcoming talent, perhaps expectations were realistically low. Still, a tie against Albania is crushing.
Croatia despite playing poorly, as a top 5 team is only a win over Italy (who has a good system, but underwhelming talent), from making the knockout round.

Belgium has been as disappointing as Croatia, but lucked out today, with Slovakia losing late to Ukraine.

Spain, Germany have looked great. Austria has been very good. England, Gus Yaldens team, has a ton of talent, who have too many players playing out of position.

Reactions: Hall-O-Daze

Father Time has caught up to Croatia It happens to every team. Same thing has happened to Belgium. Let’s see how Belgium does against Romania.

Reactions: metalpirate07
Wonder if soccer will ever approach the three major sports in popularity in US.More kids play it,but that doesn’t seem to carry through to adult support.I guess lack of scoring is major impediment

Wonder if soccer will ever approach the three major sports in popularity in US.More kids play it,but that doesn’t seem to carry through to adult support.I guess lack of scoring is major impediment
think you need to wonder if it will even come close to the 4th major sport...

Reactions: shupat08
Think it’s the product of kids playing too many games and not enough time spent on skill development. Same thing with basketball in America too.
There are kids in my son’s 8th grade year who must have changed teams 4-5 times already. Their parents are pulling them out so fast when things don’t go their way.
Entire weekends are lost to these travel tournaments where valuable time for skill development is lost.

Major League Soccer is the problem. It's being run like a franchise NFL/NBA model that guarantees profits for the owners, who have basically become OK with being B-tier versions of bigger teams (25,000 seat stadiums and so on).

Major League Soccer is the problem. It's being run like a franchise NFL/NBA model that guarantees profits for the owners, who have basically become OK with being B-tier versions of bigger teams (25,000 seat stadiums and so on).
they get paid to ship out talent. it's doomed to never be popular. not enough aging talent that would go to most teams

Reactions: shupat08
There are a few soccer fans on this board. Time for another great international tournament. As the tournament began, France, England and I believe Germany were the favorites. England has been pretty u derwhelming. France was disappointing in their match with The Dutch.

The two most impressive teams have been Germany and new-look Spain. Spain with an extremely young team with a 16 yr old starter now has speed on the wings. This has opened the offense wide open. After two matches I think Spain and Germany have looked too notch.
I've become a fan of these regional national tournaments moreso than the club leagues. I am recording and watching a ll the Euro games and all the Copa America games.

they get paid to ship out talent. it's doomed to never be popular. not enough aging talent that would go to most teams
Sorry but you sound like someone who shoots only from the hip. The mls team financial valuations show a very different story, and their business model, in not overspending may be frustrating, but the League is built for the long hall.

The popularity of soccer in this country will grow when the men’s National team can succeed on the international level. Americans want a winner. And the US does not win enough or consistently enough to garner the attention of the American fan.

The team is athletic and fast but lacks skill to keep possession. Going to a soccer game is lots of fun. But you want your team to win. And right now, the US is lucky to make it out of the group stage.

I am hoping the World Cup being in the US can ignite more interest and the US can get to the quarter finals. If that happens you will see a boom. The MLS also needs to start attracting better players. Look at the excitement with Messi is attracting all over the country. Keep bring some better players. The other issue is that the Saudi League is paying obscene salaries. So MLS has to compete with that

Germany game was fun to watch. Although Germany was the better team, Switzerland had the 1-0 lead. With 4 minutes of extra time awarded, it looked like A pretty big upset was about to happen. Then Germany struck for a goal to tie it up. 1-1. Great game to watch.

Reactions: HallLine69
Think the sport itself is more popular than ever in this country. The American league (the MLS) itself will never come close to being a popular sport in this country.

Think the sport itself is more popular than ever in this country. The American league (the MLS) itself will never come close to being a popular sport in this country.
I would agree with this. The international product has always been great and more media options and promotion over the years has made the game more popular here. MLS is on solid footing now and all those kids have grown up and are fans.

Will not rival the major sports here in the U.S. short term, but as population demographics continue to change with immigrants from those countries, it will continue to grow.

Reactions: schultz1825
The Azzuri with a flair for the dramatic, the dirt was being thrown on the casket, now that they have new life I could see them go on a little run here

Spain and Portugal look like the two best teams to me. I’d take Portugal over Spain, particularly if Rodri is out, but it’s close. England are the most talented by a decent bit, but that team can’t seem to put it together.

Spain beat Albania with their second team. Spain substituted 10 of 11 players to play Albania and still dominated Albania who is not a bad team at all. Their second team goaltender may be better than the starter. Spain is the team to beat. They may not have the superstar names but they are awfully young. Pedri is 21 and Yamaal (16 yrs old) have all world talent. Remember their other brilliant midfielder Gavi, who is only 20 yrs old was hurt and did not make the team. Spain will be a scary team for many years.

Btw, don't forget France. they still have the most talented of any team. They just don't dominate play as they should. But their talent is undeniable.

I like Portugal a bit better, but we will see. France is obviously good too. Germany home field advantage. Should be a fun knockout.

Watching international soccer, I find it mind-blowing that the referee on the field can decide approximately how many minutes to add at the end of the game and has the power to call "game-over" at any time.

Can you imagine any American sport like that?

Watching international soccer, I find it mind-blowing that the referee on the field can decide approximately how many minutes to add at the end of the game and has the power to call "game-over" at any time.

Can you imagine any American sport like that?
NFL has refs spot the ball on a complete guess from across the field every single play. its a game of inches and every play is based on the eyeball of the ref.

so yea i can imagine.

Reactions: Bud Boomer
the long haul of what?
Long haul being long term preservation.

The old NASL spent too much on old internationals.

The MLS business model is thriving with steady attendance amid increased pricing, solid footing with a homegrown system of feeding the MLS with young talent, with top level youth contracts being sold to the EPL, LA Liga, Bundesliga, to gain international experience, and those profits funding a nice mix of designated international talent.

The majority of season ticket holders across the MLS are ok with this model, and the continuing growth of franchises.

As many stated, the casual fan won't buy in until the US can get to a World Cup Semi, but the league is on a very strong footing and all of us actively following the MLS can attest that the quality of the league continues to improve.

This from someone who lived in Fullham for two years and got to watch the EPL in person at 5 London home grounds and a few matches in Holland, Scotland, Germany and Russia during my international work assignment 20 years ago.

Reactions: HALL85
think you need to wonder if it will even come close to the 4th major sport...
It'll be the number 1 sport here before long. Probably in our lifetime. Young kids love it and, unlike in the past, they have access to all the games. They're becoming fans of teams and players, which is where the staying power will come from.

It'll be the number 1 sport here before long. Probably in our lifetime. Young kids love it and, unlike in the past, they have access to all the games. They're becoming fans of teams and players, which is where the staying power will come from.
eh, this has been the case for a while now. henry jerseys, ronaldhino, gerard, etc. fifa the video game has been around for a while and probably has the biggest impact

Long haul being long term preservation.

The old NASL spent too much on old internationals.

The MLS business model is thriving with steady attendance amid increased pricing, solid footing with a homegrown system of feeding the MLS with young talent, with top level youth contracts being sold to the EPL, LA Liga, Bundesliga, to gain international experience, and those profits funding a nice mix of designated international talent.

The majority of season ticket holders across the MLS are ok with this model, and the continuing growth of franchises.

As many stated, the casual fan won't buy in until the US can get to a World Cup Semi, but the league is on a very strong footing and all of us actively following the MLS can attest that the quality of the league continues to improve.

This from someone who lived in Fullham for two years and got to watch the EPL in person at 5 London home grounds and a few matches in Holland, Scotland, Germany and Russia during my international work assignment 20 years ago.
the best players leave. its a farm system. nothing is changing that.

Brackets for the knockout stage are completely screwed up. The top half of the bracket has Spain, Germany, Portugal and France.

England is in the lower bracket as the lone top tier team. Italy, Romania, Belgium and the Netherlands are not striking fear in anyone.

Reactions: Bud Boomer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT