ADVERTISEMENT

First Shot of the 8.1 Seconds

Pirata

All American
Dec 21, 2009
From the TV angle it is hard to see just wat happened on the first 3 that sent Dawes to the floor.

When I watched it in real-time I was relieved no foul was called.

It looked like the shooter lunged forward to draw contact but then just shot the ball straight up. Did Dawes get clean ball before he fell?

Did anyone have a better angle and could describe the shot and the block.

Regarding the second shot, Bediako's block was clean but again, not easily seen from the TV angle. The one still photo shows it well.

73213551007-usatsi-22944561.jpg

Last edited:
From the TV angle it is hard to see just wat happened on the first 3 that sent Dawes to the floor.

When I watched it in real-time I was relieved no foul was called.

It looked like the shooter lunged forward to draw contact but then just shot the ball straight up. Did Dawes get clean ball before he fell?

Did anyone have a better angle and could describe the shot and the block.

Regarding the second shot, Bediako's block was clean but again, not easily seen from the TV angle. The one still photo shows it well.
I think Bediako did not give shooter chance to land cleanly.

Frankly, Dawes' last 3 could have been am and 4.

No one is talking about how close the desperation heave for ISU came to going in.

I was pleasantly surprised they didn’t call Dawes for a foul there given the way the game was officiated. It seems the refs had a halftime reflection and let them play ball in the second half. The first half was weak. But if you ask Fran, they were letting them play. That guy is a brutal listen. Shhhh!!!

I think Bediako did not give shooter chance to land cleanly.

Frankly, Dawes' last 3 could have been am and 4.

No one is talking about how close the desperation heave for ISU came to going in.
The desperation 3 going in would’ve been our luck

I was pleasantly surprised they didn’t call Dawes for a foul there given the way the game was officiated. It seems the refs had a halftime reflection and let them play ball in the second half. The first half was weak. But if you ask Fran, they were letting them play. That guy is a brutal listen. Shhhh!!!
Equally bad as Lappas.

It looked like the plan from ISU was to draw a foul. He jumped into Dawes instead of going up for a shot. Also passed it to himself since Dawes didn’t hit the ball going up.

Refs could have called it but they are rarely going to in that spot to end an game unless it’s an obvious foul.

Reactions: Piratz
It looked like the plan from ISU was to draw a foul. He jumped into Dawes instead of going up for a shot. Also passed it to himself since Dawes didn’t hit the ball going up.

Refs could have called it but they are rarely going to in that spot to end an game unless it’s an obvious foul.

From that angle, it doesn’t even look like there was any contact with Dawes. Looked like Al threw himself backwards when Swopes lunged to avoid contact.

And when Swopes didn’t get the contact he was in never never land and you are right…passed the ball to himself.

I watched Fran at our Walsh game. He misses so many things because half thr time he is looking at his partner when speaking. He does not see what is happening.

For example, he talked over and did not comment on the great moment between Sha and Avila.

Avila 3 early in shot clock hurt them.

Also, if you go to the bucket, chances are with tjay crowd in that spot, they get any close call. Bad job by staff of ISU on that last play. I do think ISU staff knew if the game extended we would catch our breath and dominate in a short OT.

Last edited:
Definitely thought Swope was looking for contact on the play where Dawes went to the floor. That was not a defensive foul at all.

I don’t know the rule on Bediako’s contact bc he did block the ball first and Swope again looking for contact with his legs kicking out. I think it’s a good no call in that spot.

Definitely thought Swope was looking for contact on the play where Dawes went to the floor. That was not a defensive foul at all.

I don’t know the rule on Bediako’s contact bc he did block the ball first and Swope again looking for contact with his legs kicking out. I think it’s a good no call in that spot.
This angle shows very clean block on the second 3.

From that angle, it doesn’t even look like there was any contact with Dawes. Looked like Al threw himself backwards when Swopes lunged to avoid contact.

And when Swopes didn’t get the contact he was in never never land and you are right…passed the ball to himself.

That makes sense. Great play by Dawes to not have any contact.

I suspect the refs considered it a legitimate shot versus a pass and so you can rebound your own shot as long as it's a legitimate shot.

So the refs got both calls right and it was just great defense.

I thought Fran was pretty good. Far from brutal imho.

Reactions: shu09
I thought Fran was pretty good. Far from brutal imho.
You’re entitled to your opinion but I could not stand him. Dead air would have been better than listening to him babble on about nonsense for the entirety of the game. We missed so many key moments because he doesn’t stop talking. Like when Kadary went out late in the game. Kind of a really, really important moment. Fran mentioned Kadary got banged up but he’d be back. That was the end of that. Then went back to babbling.

You’re entitled to your opinion but I could not stand him. Dead air would have been better than listening to him babble on about nonsense for the entirety of the game. We missed so many key moments because he doesn’t stop talking. Like when Kadary went out late in the game. Kind of a really, really important moment. Fran mentioned Kadary got banged up but he’d be back. That was the end of that. Then went back to babbling.
I agree that he talked over the action a couple of times, but otherwise I thought he was fine.

I was laughing about repeatedly saying, “letting them play” while our starters were laced with foul trouble.

Reactions: PirateFan94
I agree that he talked over the action a couple of times, but otherwise I thought he was fine.
I didn't like when he said, "us" and it sounded awfully like he meant "us" as in Indiana State. It could have been the other guy saying that but either way it sounded wrong.

Dawes was clearly jumping away from the contact. Their play was to draw contact and win it from the line - that was clear to me. Smart play by Dawes. Refs could have easily overreacted to that, but credit them for not doing it. Bediako's block was great right after that. Total bedlam.

Dawes was clearly jumping away from the contact. Their play was to draw contact and win it from the line - that was clear to me. Smart play by Dawes. Refs could have easily overreacted to that, but credit them for not doing it. Bediako's block was great right after that. Total bedlam.
The refereeing was uneven last night, but that was the right call to put away the whistle on those last second plays.

The refereeing was uneven last night, but that was the right call to put away the whistle on those last second plays.
I felt like the one shorter ref with the dark hair/crewcut was all over the board. He called a tiny little touch foul in the first half. He was also the guy who was right by the play when Kadary gets fouled twice with multiple pushes and a tug on his shirt at the top of the key. Then Kadary pushes off and he gets called for the foul? He was also under the basket when Dre was hammered (obvious call) and no call. I thought that one ref was the big problem and the others seemed to understand the moment much more. So glad they swallowed the whistle there.

I watched the last second of the 89 game again (why I don't know) and it's amazing that absolutely nothing is there. Rumeal keeps going and is not hindered at all on that play. I keep thinking I'll see something but it just brings back bad memories - glutton for punishment. Glad it didn't happen again last night. Maybe the curse is broken now.

The desperation 3 going in would’ve been our luck
And final would have been 80-79. Sound familiar? 😛 lucky it didn’t. Not even close to same as that year but nice to win the tournament. Great job by players and coaches. Plus, fans that made trip. Plus, those at games at Walsh. The atmosphere was great in all games in this tournament.

Last edited:
Imagine if Clougherty Jr was on the court lol.

The fouls were called even. We had two guys in foul trouble. Dawes never got his fourth. Their two highest scorers had 4 and 3.

Such an odd decision by Fran to leave SJ when he did. As I remember he wanted a big raise, threatened to leave and SJU said good bye. He was kicking NYC recruiting ass.

Reactions: Jerry1992
I felt like the one shorter ref with the dark hair/crewcut was all over the board. He called a tiny little touch foul in the first half. He was also the guy who was right by the play when Kadary gets fouled twice with multiple pushes and a tug on his shirt at the top of the key. Then Kadary pushes off and he gets called for the foul? He was also under the basket when Dre was hammered (obvious call) and no call. I thought that one ref was the big problem and the others seemed to understand the moment much more. So glad they swallowed the whistle there.

I watched the last second of the 89 game again (why I don't know) and it's amazing that absolutely nothing is there. Rumeal keeps going and is not hindered at all on that play. I keep thinking I'll see something but it just brings back bad memories - glutton for punishment. Glad it didn't happen again last night. Maybe the curse is broken now.
Exactly about 89. When I saw the replay as it approached I said no way can this be as bad a call as I thought it was. And it was ten times worse. I did think he was gonna pass it to Loy Vaught for an open 8 ft jumper though lol

Reactions: hallwins
I like Fran for the most part but he didn't shut up last night & kept on repeating the same things over & over again. Saying the refs were letting them play when our entire starting 5 plus EHH had foul issues was absurd & couldn't have come at worse time.

Exactly about 89. When I saw the replay as it approached I said no way can this be as bad a call as I thought it was. And it was ten times worse. I did think he was gonna pass it to Loy Vaught for an open 8 ft jumper though lol
Most think it was Vaught but painfully watched it and pretty sure it was Hughes. Not a scorer by any means. Either way-the shot and not a phantom foul should have decided it.

Dawes jumped back to avoid contact, there was no contact.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT