ADVERTISEMENT

Four Horsemen no more

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Ole Anderson, original Four Horsemen member, dead at 81​

By Christian Arnold

Pro wrestling legend Ole Anderson passed away on Monday, friends and family members revealed.

He was 81 years old.

Anderson, whose real name was Alan Rogowski, is best known for his role as one of the members of the original Four Horsemen faction.

The group consisted of Anderson, Arn Anderson, Ric Flair and Tully Blanchard.

Wrestling legend Ole Anderson passed away on Monday. He was known as one of the original Four Horsemen.

Wrestling legend Ole Anderson passed away on Monday. He was known as one of the original Four Horsemen.
WWE.com

He was considered one of the biggest heels and Anderson was widely respected for his work in the business.

“Ole Anderson’s passing is a somber moment or the wrestling world,” former wrestler Ricky Morton wrote on Instagram. “Ole was not just a colleague; he was a formidable opponent, a respected veteran, and a part of wrestling history. Our battles in the ring were intense, and the memories we created together will always be cherished.

Morton added: “While his passing leaves a void in the wrestling community, Ole Anderson’s legacy will live on through the impact he made on the sport and the memories he shared with fans and fellow wrestlers alike.”

The Horsemen were one of the most legendary groups in professional wrestling history while performing in Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling and then World Championship Wrestling.

“I Am Forever Thankful To Ole And Gene For Bringing Me In To Crockett Promotions As A Cousin,” Flair wrote on X. “It Launched My Career. I Will Be Grateful Forever For You Giving Me The Opportunity To Become Who I Am Today. We Didn’t Always Agree With Each Other, But The Honest To God Truth Is You & Gene Started Me. Rest In Peace My Friend!”

Anderson retired from the ring in 1987 but did return to reform the Horsemen in 1989 before retiring shortly thereafter.

He became the head of the WCW booking committee in 1990 following his retirement.

“WWE is saddened to learn that Ole Anderson has passed away. WWE extends its condolences to Anderson’s family, friends, and fans,” WWE said in a statement on X.

“AEW and the wrestling world mourn the passing of the legendary Ole Anderson. Our thoughts are with his family, his friends and his fans,” AEW said in a statement of their own Monday night.

WWE also acknowledged the passing of Anderson on its “Monday Night Raw” telecast.

Reactions: HALL85

Former WWE star Virgil dead at 61​

A tough week to be a pro wrestling fan.

Ole Anderson was one of the greats. I heard he was a 38-time tag team champion across different promotions and with different partners. This was back in a day where wrestling was a regional business and most stars moved from territory to territory to work for six to 12 months at a time.

He was involved with one of the great storylines of all time. Ole spent much of his career as a heel as in the above story. But in the early 80's he had a notable babyface run in Georgia which culminated with him turning on Dusty Rhodes in a steel cage match. That became one of the hottest angles in the history of that territory.

Anderson and Rhodes were often linked. When Anderson formed the Four Horsemen with his storyline cousins Arn Anderson and Ric Flair along with Tully Blanchard, Rhodes -- the top babyface in what was then known as Jim Crockett Promotions was their most prominent adversary.

Virgil, real name Mike Jones, made his name as a bodyguard for Ted DiBiase, the Million Dollar Man. Eventually Virgil would turn on DiBiase proving that not everybody had a price for the Million Dollar Man. While he was never a top guy he run with and against DiBiase ensured wrestling fans would remember him.

May they both rest in peace.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT