ADVERTISEMENT

FOX announces new postseason event

Yawn. Just another tournament for teams to decline. Unless of course they add money to the players pockets

Reactions: TomD82
Well it is exclusive to the conf tv partner schools, aeg a big sponsor

LOL just commented on this on another thread. There is power in having brand name teams from P6 leagues, even middling ones. Another nail in the NIT if this does go forward.

Reactions: TomD82
The NCAA owns the NIT. There is no competition.

Is this just a money grab or a strategic play to develop a legitimate tourney outside the NCAA tourney control that perhaps the non football schools have more significant input? Many keep saying the football schools want to have their own tourney and keep the mid majors and maybe basketball only schools out. You can sit around and wait to see if that comes true or develop your own plan.

How are they going to find 16 worthwhile teams to compete starting on March 31st when the transfer portal will have been open for 2-3 weeks already? It’s one thing to go right into a tournament like the NIT and convince your team to hold off on their decisions. But to wait 2-3 weeks before playing a game sounds like it will be a challenge

Another team wil get a trophy. Getting close to the goal. Major progress in the world of everyone gets a trophy.

Last edited:
How are they going to find 16 worthwhile teams to compete starting on March 31st when the transfer portal will have been open for 2-3 weeks already? It’s one thing to go right into a tournament like the NIT and convince your team to hold off on their decisions. But to wait 2-3 weeks before playing a game sounds like it will be a challenge
Exactly. And on top of that, does anybody really want to watch the 8th place team in the big east play the 10th place team in the big ten? What’s the point

Another team wil get a trophy. Getting close to the goal. Major progress in the world of everyone gets a trophy.
Think about this though, the Hall has had a great run in the NIT. Yeah it's not the NCAA tournament bid that was robbed from you, but you are still playing, got to play postseason games at Walsh, and have a shot at a championship. I absolutely agree that if they want to make this event meaningful, they've got to reward the winners and maybe everyone who participates to some extent.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Think about this though, the Hall has had a great run in the NIT. Yeah it's not the NCAA tournament bid that was robbed from you, but you are still playing, got to play postseason games at Walsh, and have a shot at a championship. I absolutely agree that if they want to make this event meaningful, they've got to reward the winners and maybe everyone who participates to some extent.
By that logic we would’ve been better off in the NIT the years we lost in first weekend of the NCAA tournament because we could’ve been playing longer. it’s not worth watching the sport anymore if that’s now a positive. Imagine convincing kids it was a good thing to get cut from varsity to be star of the JV team.

By that logic we would’ve been better off in the NIT the years we lost in first weekend of the NCAA tournament because we could’ve been playing longer. it’s not worth watching the sport anymore if that’s now a positive. Imagine convincing kids it was a good thing to get cut from varsity to be star of the JV team.
I think you're kind of missing the point. You would've been "better off" being where you deserved to be off of your regular season record, in the NCAA tournament. No one, certainly not me, is suggesting that the NIT is a better alternative, but, instead of sulking or taking an early vacation like St. John's you guys dealt with it and now have had a decent postseason run. Yeah, it's not the big show, but you still have a shot at a championship, and while that's not the equivalent of being in the NCAA tournament it's not nothing either.

I think you're kind of missing the point. You would've been "better off" being where you deserved to be off of your regular season record, in the NCAA tournament. No one, certainly not me, is suggesting that the NIT is a better alternative, but, instead of sulking or taking an early vacation like St. John's you guys dealt with it and now have had a decent postseason run. Yeah, it's not the big show, but you still have a shot at a championship, and while that's not the equivalent of being in the NCAA tournament it's not nothing either.
Agree to disagree. I always saw the NIT as a development tournament. You got a nice young team on the cusp of a tournament bid it’s great to keep them playing. First off we have 5 seniors. Second with free agency all everyone is doing is giving guys who can leave for free agency the ability to build up a resume to leave in exchange for a tournament title that the fan base will not brag about past tomorrow.

Agree to disagree. I always saw the NIT as a development tournament. You got a nice young team on the cusp of a tournament bid it’s great to keep them playing. First off we have 5 seniors. Second with free agency all everyone is doing is giving guys who can leave for free agency the ability to build up a resume to leave in exchange for a tournament title that the fan base will not brag about past tomorrow.
I get what you're saying, but I also think it's a useful narrative to say yeah we should've been in the NCAA, look what we did in the NIT.

I get what you're saying, but I also think it's a useful narrative to say yeah we should've been in the NCAA, look what we did in the NIT.
What exactly does that narrative get you. None of us get to talk to the committee and say you messed up. They're not changing their minds. At the same time I'm not sure the committee messed up. Road wins vs tournament teams....0. 4 games on the road vs tournament teams all of them losses by 18 or more. 3 of the last 5 games we got torched. Bottom line, we put ourselves in position to be left out, which sucks because we did control our own destiny. I was raised playing baseball not to complain on a borderline pitch with 2 strikes. You can't leave it in the umpires hands. We left our fate in someone else's hands. The only narrative to take away is seal the deal when you have the chance next time.

4 more games and a championship?
Let me know when the UConn fan base prefers the NIT over the NCAA tournament. We can only play the teams on our schedule but nobody says sign me up for NIT champs over an NCAA tournament berth. It’s always nice to see a team from your conference win the NIT but you always want it to be someone else’s team because your team is in the big dance.

• Haha
Reactions: CL82
Let me know when the UConn fan base prefers the NIT over the NCAA tournament. We can only play the teams on our schedule but nobody says sign me up for NIT champs over an NCAA tournament berth. It’s always nice to see a team from your conference win the NIT but you always want it to be someone else’s team because your team is in the big dance.
Maybe, for tonight, at least, it's better to celebrate what you have achieved then worry about what you missed?

I'm out. Feel free to have the last word.

Reactions: chickenbox
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT