ADVERTISEMENT

Furious Tom Crean goes off on teams declining NIT invite

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Former college basketball coach and ESPN analyst Tom Crean was not a fan of several teams asking not to be invited to this year’s NIT, which included St. John’s.

Crean was on ESPN’s “NIT Selection Special” show when he started to lambast the idea of teams not wanting to play in college basketball’s other main postseason tournament.

The Red Storm publicly announced that they had told the NIT selection committee that they did not want to be extended an invite shortly after they had learned that they didn’t receive an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament.

“After thorough consideration of all that goes into postseason participation, we believe at this time it is best for our team and basketball program to prepare for next season,” St. John’s head coach Rick Pitino said in part of a statement regarding the decision.

It is believed that the transfer portal opening on Monday played a role in the decision process for teams.

However, Crean wasn’t buying that excuse from any school that was opting out of the NIT.

“There’s no question about it. I would want to coach, I would want to develop my team,” Crean said. “You’ve got bigger staffs than you’ve ever had. There’s plenty of time for the portal. There’s plenty of time to talk to recruits. There’s plenty of time to negotiate NIL deals.”

That’s when Crean, who coached at Marquette, Indiana and Georgia, started to get more stern in his comments.

“There’s not plenty of time to play. There’s not plenty of time to get your players on the floor and give them a chance to get better,” he said. “There’s not plenty of time for guys to continue to play that may never get to play again and that to me is absolutely ridiculous. It’s each coach’s choice, I get it, but if you take away a chance to play the games, to put your team on the floor.

“Let them opt out. The bowl season has it all the time. Let it happen, who cares. Give your players and coaches a chance to keep coaching and playing and don’t shortchange.”

Other notable teams that opted not to participate in the NIT included Syracuse, Pitt, Memphis and Ole Miss.

The first round of the NIT begins on March 19.

• Haha
Reactions: shupat08
Develop what team? 50+% of teams go into the portal now and 50+% of next year's roster is somewhere else currently.

The guy is looking at this from an antiquated world view.

Utah St has an entirely new roster this year from last year's NCAA tournament team.

Reactions: catholicman
This is not your father's NIT any more, no reason to even have it anymore, it's a joke.
True dat.... I disagree about continuing the tournament though, if the players want to compete.... let 'em. I'm going to try and get a ticket. I think that this year there is a special incentive to play.

Last edited:
Develop what team? 50+% of teams go into the portal now and 50+% of next year's roster is somewhere else currently.

The guy is looking at this from an antiquated world view.

Utah St has an entirely new roster this year from last year's NCAA tournament team.
First off, Crean has no clue what these teams voted to do. For all he knows, the players on each elected not to play.

Second, yeah, let me value what Tom Crean says about player and coaching development compared to Rick Pitino, among others…

Isn't the NIT a job opportunity for a fourth-rate announcer like Crean? Reminded me of Dickie V. a few years ago going off on all the NBA teams drafting European players rather than U.S. college kids. That was Dickie's meal ticket.

Good for Tom, he's absolutely right. It's the height of arrogance to think you're too good for something. Go out there and play until you lose.

Reactions: the1ndonly
Good for Tom, he's absolutely right. It's the height of arrogance to think you're too good for something. Go out there and play until you lose.

Nobody should be obligated to accept their breadcrumbs so the NCAA can make even more money.

Reactions: garyshu71
In an perfect world Tom may be right. I'm guessing that SJU has players who've already decided to bolt and don't want to get injured. You can't blame the players as they want to do what's best for their families and themselves.
Seton Hall seniors unanimous decision to play says a great deal about them and their coach.

Take a look at the NIT--every Big East team, with the exception of DePaul & Gtown is in the tourney (St John's told them to stick it) How screwed up can they get-- It's a waste of time & effort.

Nobody should be obligated to accept their breadcrumbs so the NCAA can make even more money.
The NCAA isn‘t making money off the NIT.

They bought the tournament from the metropolitan basketball organization to avoid losing an antitrust suit. Otherwise it’s just a money loser for them.

Reactions: shu09
It’s not the NIT if the last few years. There are a lot of P6 schools and no low major teams. It’s a tough bracket. Sure all these teams are flawed but many have the ability to win multiple games in this tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT