ADVERTISEMENT

Gibbs

Can’t ever forget that win and shot against Nova. Talked to him at a game a few years after he left and he could not have been nicer. I thanked him for playing so well and he was very modest. Seems like a terrific young man.

Reactions: SHUMA04
For a good kid, Gibbs always had that chippiness close to the surface. He was a good player. Glad he left. Hope he is happy.

Without the Gibbs decision there would have been no Derrick Gordon, and in my own mind there is zero doubt without him we would not have had the season that we did.

He was an incredible leader for that young group that needed his physical and mental toughness.

Gibbs first year was interesting. cant decide if we under or over achieved.

Here is the point total from that year, filtering out players that played 10 games or less.

ejmY0fT.png

That chart is bringing back memories.

Next to John Garcia, Brandon Mobley might have been one of the guys for me who I felt like an injury robbed him of his true potential. I feel like he was never quite the player I imagined with all of his shoulder problems. Loved that guy though and was always great to talk to. On the other side of the spectrum, Manga was always very aloof to me and seemed to take every opportunity to sneak out of the team events that were put on for fans haha

Reactions: thehall07
That chart is bringing back memories.

Next to John Garcia, Brandon Mobley might have been one of the guys for me who I felt like an injury robbed him of his true potential. I feel like he was never quite the player I imagined with all of his shoulder problems. Loved that guy though and was always great to talk to. On the other side of the spectrum, Manga was always very aloof to me and seemed to take every opportunity to sneak out of the team events that were put on for fans haha
Mobely was the only guy on that team that seemed to avoid the sloppy frenetic, low fundamental game that we were so known for. he was solid and has great skills. he just never asserted himself.

Here is the point total from that year, filtering out players that played 10 games or less.

ejmY0fT.png
Wow Oliver’s stats much better than I remember , shows IMO how underwhelming Cale has been.

Wow Oliver’s stats much better than I remember , shows IMO how underwhelming Cale has been.
exactly what i thought too. i do remember he could be streaky in the good way. he was able to hit from powell/hazell range. and often did.

we had 5 guys ave 10 pts. Cale would have been tied for 7th best on THAT team.

exactly what i thought too. i do remember he could be streaky in the good way. he was able to hit from powell/hazell range. and often did.

Biggest issue with that team was defense and like all Willard teams rebounding.

Reactions: Bud Boomer
Without the Gibbs decision there would have been no Derrick Gordon, and in my own mind there is zero doubt without him we would not have had the season that we did.

He was an incredible leader for that young group that needed his physical and mental toughness.
Best “trade” we ever made. Gibbs was a good player but we needed Gordon’s leadership and unselfishness. The last 5 years would be very different if DG didn’t play that 1 year.

I think that chart was from the “me ball” locker room comments year where Teague was quoted as saying pts and how many shots some players were getting was causing issues. The same issues arrived the following year blaming whitehead in the press. And then magically, team ball retuned the following year when the players listed above graduated/transferred.

ejmY0fT.png
3 kids from the same Euro high school and 4 transfers. I'd say our recruiting has improved a tick.

Reactions: Section112

That couldn’t play D. Cale would have started.

Reactions: SHUMA04
Don't forget the NYE matinee BE opener vs John's, Lavin still coaching, when Stirling and Sina ran the break magnificently for an electric W; great atmosphere that day, too

Don't forget the NYE matinee BE opener vs John's, Lavin still coaching, when Stirling and Sina ran the break magnificently for an electric W; great atmosphere that day, too
Was there. Great game, setting up the next one vs Nova in which our freshmen shined along side Gibbs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT