ADVERTISEMENT

Here come the ESPN firings, worse than we thought

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
By Mark W. Sanchez

April 25, 2017 | 3:04pm

The mass firings can turn into a blaze.

The 40 to 50 pink slips that ESPN insider Jim Miller expected to be dished out may escalate to about 70 at the Worldwide Leader, according to the Sporting News. Talent from all over — from front-facing TV personalities to online writers — is in jeopardy as parent company Disney looks to slash costs.

“This could be a bloodbath,” one source said, according to the report. And the carnage is coming soon: ESPN will start its Bristol-based layoffs as soon as Wednesday, according to Sports Illustrated.

The writing has been on the wall for years with the sports entertainment behemoth dealing with declining revenues as more viewers cut the cord. The first victim in ESPN’s far-flung coverage was NFL reporter Paul Kuharsky, who announced Monday he will be let go in July. Former Mets beat writer Adam Rubin said in a Q&A last month that he jumped ship after ESPN told him he would be a casualty of the layoffs.

In response to the grim reaper’s presence around campus, ESPN personalities have begun bargaining. Network anchors, according to Sporting News, have talked with management about taking pay cuts rather than facing the ax. The success of the compromises is not clear, but much of ESPN talent wants to make it understood they enjoy working there — and lack a fallback. There are on-air faces who make from $1.5 million to $3 million, Miller said, and lesser pay with the same exposure is tempting.

ESPN reportedly has adopted the painful euphemism “right-sizing” to address the firings, a corporate sanitation that paints mass layoffs as nothing more than a company finding efficiency. Disney’s fiscal second-quarter earnings call comes on May 9, and its presentation to ad buyers follows on May 16. If the layoffs begin Wednesday, expect them to end by then.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/25/here-come-the-espn-firings-worse-than-we-thought/

Thinking logically, and not the whole "well he/she sucks" subjective aspect as we like to Do, I'd expect 1 older on air talent and at least 1 talent per sport coverage. Allegedly, among the safe choices as per 1 article (have to look for it):

Sage Steele (no comment)
Michael Smith & Jemele Hill
Stephen A. Smith (I think he on First Take gets the best ratings in cable for his time slot)
Scott Van Pelt

I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Kenny Mayne gets cut considering his frequency on air. I

I believe sage Steele will be on Greenberg's morning show. I could be wrong.

Thinking logically, and not the whole "well he/she sucks" subjective aspect as we like to Do, I'd expect 1 older on air talent and at least 1 talent per sport coverage. Allegedly, among the safe choices as per 1 article (have to look for it):

Sage Steele (no comment)
Michael Smith & Jemele Hill
Stephen A. Smith (I think he on First Take gets the best ratings in cable for his time slot)
Scott Van Pelt

I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Kenny Mayne gets cut considering his frequency on air. I
anyone who was given an extension or a significant espn catered show in the last 3-15 months is safe:

smith/hill, hannah storm, caddisy hubbarth, svp, greenberg, steele, beadle...a lot of this is going to be talent that have expiring deals that will not be renewed and some of the espn local platform writers for specific teams in markets, new era at espn/disney...will i be shocked at some names maybe a little but if disney invoked better corporate responsibility in the last 10 years versus the last 2 or 3 this may not be happening

You know... being objective, that isn't so far fetched considering how many older guard is gone over the past couple years. Watch your back, Bob Ley. Btw, this was the link I meant before in my post:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/espn-will-cut-40-air-personalities-may-161210167.html

Michael smith and jemele hill are about as insufferable as they come imo

Well they just got the show. Promoted to all high hell. And SC6 is basically Numbers Never Lie/His and Hers, which more people love than hate. Not to mention their special productions that The network are more than willing to green light. To each is own

anyone who was given an extension or a significant espn catered show in the last 3-15 months is safe:

smith/hill, hannah storm, caddisy hubbarth, svp, greenberg, steele, beadle...a lot of this is going to be talent that have expiring deals that will not be renewed and some of the espn local platform writers for specific teams in markets, new era at espn/disney...will i be shocked at some names maybe a little but if disney invoked better corporate responsibility in the last 10 years versus the last 2 or 3 this may not be happening
ed werder laid off effective immediately the day before the draft, that is cold as ice

.... so any tangible reasons because ratings and marketing say otherwise?
6 pm sc not rating as well as past 12-24 months actually since the sc6 took over, btw espn brought in lindsay czarniak some years ago to be the lead anchor to that hour, she went on maternity leave and has been away but she is damn good

6 pm sc not rating as well as past 12-24 months actually since the sc6 took over, btw espn brought in lindsay czarniak some years ago to be the lead anchor to that hour, she went on maternity leave and has been away but she is damn good
The 6 p.m. SportsCenter is an albatross now. There's too much competition on TV and away from TV (local news is struggling mightily as well), plus sports highlight shows are completely unnecessary in general and especially at that time of the day.

A variety show like they have now with Hill and Smith or a permanent lead-in style show for live sports on ESPN networks starting in the 7 to 8:30 p.m. make a lot more sense than SportsCenter.

Reactions: JRSlim2284
It's not about ratings, it's about the monthly fees they command from cable companies per subscriber. Millions of people are dropping cable, which means hundreds of millions of $$$ out of their pockets. Meanwhile they paid billions and billions to pro leagues and college conferences for rights fees, and got themselves stuck.

It's not about ratings, it's about the monthly fees they command from cable companies per subscriber. Millions of people are dropping cable, which means hundreds of millions of $$$ out of their pockets. Meanwhile they paid billions and billions to pro leagues and college conferences for rights fees, and got themselves stuck.
right it was their own management that is a causal link to this. disney too for letting this get away as well at one point in time and i want everyone to really read this say 3-4 years ago espn brought in 600 mil a month just for being on...6 dollar subscriber fee on basic tier cable to 100 mil cable subscribers so lets do 600 mil x 12 that was a year for just being available in homes

Needs to be updated... already. Also love the wonderful racist troll with the BET crack way down in the article.

EDIT: saw I have to go through the ad to see the rest.

It's mostly sub fees. Ratings matter here.

Mike Vaccaro blasting NJ.com on Twitter for posting a Live ESPN layoff tracker (in its own feeble attempt to generate clicks off of this).... Kevin Manahan battling back with him and not doing a good job of defending it.

NJ.com is so desperate for clicks that it's also been holding a "Best TV Weatherperson" poll contest.

Mike Vaccaro blasting NJ.com on Twitter for posting a Live ESPN layoff tracker (in its own feeble attempt to generate clicks off of this).... Kevin Manahan battling back with him and not doing a good job of defending it.

NJ.com is so desperate for clicks that it's also been holding a "Best TV Weatherperson" poll contest.
5 or 6 larger brands than nj.com doing the same with layoff tracker

seems to be mostly writers at this point...shifting away from writing and putting focus on more live content

ESPN has way too many people covering college basketball and college football, but Dana O'Neil and Brett McMurphy were arguably my favorite writers in those sports. ESPN keeps on investing in its Watch ESPN app (which is very good) and other streaming services. If you're a one-trick pony and making good money, as I'm sure the two people in my post were, you're at-risk of being cut.

Reactions: JRSlim2284
Can some of you younger guys help me understand. If the "smart" thing to do is to cut off cable (in my case Comcast), would I be able to see SHU and college basketball in general as much as I do now? How?

Can some of you younger guys help me understand. If the "smart" thing to do is to cut off cable (in my case Comcast), would I be able to see SHU and college basketball in general as much as I do now? How?
Fox Sports/FS1 has a terrible streaming service for live events, so you could borrow a friend's cable/dish username and password for the select few SHU games that would be on that app. Other than that, you'd be able to see the SHU games on regular Fox.

Regarding ESPN, you can do the same thing of borrowing somebody's username and password. They have a ton of live sports available via app or streaming through devices (Apple TV, Roku, Firestick, etc.) or a Smart TV that has streaming apps already built in.

Soon enough, there will be a la carte streaming for these live events that won't be attached to cable subscriptions. It will be interesting to see how it's implemented, but other networks have already done it. The main difference with those networks is that they don't have the long-term TV rights contracts that the major sports networks have.

Glad to see Vaccaro (and others) rightfully call out that clown Manahan. Yes, its news, but the "LIVE UPDATES" and "Who got laid off?" headlines, make it quite obvious what NJ.com's intentions are on this one.

Those reports are wrong.
I would be surprised if Greenberg had a permanent co-host, at least initially. It'll be interesting to see how that show does as it replaces the early morning SportsCenter, which is the fastest dying spot on ESPN now that they replaced the 6 p.m. SportsCenter with Hill and Smith.

Why are they keeping Jemele Hill , one of the worst on ESPN .Also Mike Smith ?

MLB.com/MLB Network should have called his agent within two minutes of him posting that tweet.
Good point. I feel like MLB network is fairly well saturated though at this point (still miss alanna rizzo). Lot of ESPN transplants and overall great on air talent.

Might be in the minority here, but big Eric Byrnes fan. His random crash test dummie moves during their instructional segments are hilarious.

They do need to stop the recent trends of their lame attempts at humor during their promotional commercials though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT