ADVERTISEMENT

Here's How You Can Participate With Onward Setonia in Early 2024!

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Dear Pirates Fans,

Happy New Year! As we begin 2024, our friends at Onward Setonia want to make sure you're in the know about what they're doing to help bring NIL opportunities to our student-athletes!

Join the Flagman Pledge!​

Our beloved Flagman takes his laps at every home men's basketball game, and now you can pledge a dollar amount for every lap that Flagman completes the rest of the season! Pledge $1, $5 or $10 per lap!

Join Onward Setonia in DC!​

Onward Setonia will be heading to the Nation's Capital and will host a road game social the night before the men's basketball team battles Georgetown.

The social takes place on Tuesday, Jan. 8, at the Coca Cola Company Office at 800 Connecticut Avenue NW from 6-8 p.m. Alumnus Jim McGreevy is hosting the event, and Bryan Felt and Mike McBride will be in attendance providing more information on NIL.

Admission to this social is free, but space is limited.

The Pirates will play Georgetown at Capital One Arena on Jan. 9 at 6:30 p.m.

Don't Miss This Unique Experience!​

Now is the opportunity to be a part of an exclusive event: the inaugural Pirate Jacket Fitting, hosted by The Highlawn.

Meet with a clothier designer from J Hilburn and select from fabrics and design elements to create a bespoke jacket complete with an Onward Setonia exclusive liner celebrating your support of the Seton Hall Pirates.

This liner will be “retired” following this event and can only be obtained by joining Onward Setonia for hors d’oeuvres, beer, and wine at The Highlawn. Men's basketball head coach Shaheen Holloway is expected to make a special appearance.

Get Some Exclusive Apparel!​

Onward Setonia has multiple gear shops, and now you can get the gear and support student-athlete NIL! Pick up a Kooks' Korner or "That's on Them" t-shirt or get a replica jersey with any of the men's or women's basketball players' names on the back!

Tee Off at The Two-Man Golf Invitational​

Join fellow Pirates for an unforgettable indoor golf event, taking place on Thursday, Jan. 18 in Seton Hall's indoor golf lab from 6-8:30 p.m.

Two-man teams will be blind drawn and will compete against each other in a skins game. Survive and advance the bracket until a champion is crowned. Teams will get to experience the Trackman technology and play Pebble Beach and other amazing holes.

In between skins matches, teams can take on putting challenges and enjoy provided food, and drinks. Special guests will be in attendance as well.

Coming Soon: Become a Guardian!​

Onward Setonia will be launching a new level of subscription called the “Guardian Membership."

The launch of this new membership is supported with the drive to 250-member campaign. The campaign and membership recognizes Mother Seton and the 1988-89 men’s basketball program.

Guardian memberships are $89/month and will replace Onward Setonia's existing Captain level, offering the same benefits plus the addition of an invite to an annual event where the membership will be recognized.

Members who’ve subscribed to Captain level will automatically receive Guardian benefits.

I am in constant contact with those running these and other events for NIL. The response from our fans has been beyond terrible. Maybe best described as pitiful.

For the last year plus so many on this board bitched and complained and called for the firing of our admins for not doing what many of us thought should have been done. But now it is being done and a simple question is where are the complainers who now have a chance to backup their words but are not?

Other schools run many of these same events and in comparison it's embarrassing.

Clearly I have wasted my time the last couple of months asking for help with it falling on deaf ears. So I will ask no more. Instead I will just continue to post NIL events and leave it up the very few who support the cause.

I am in constant contact with those running these and other events for NIL. The response from our fans has been beyond terrible. Maybe best described as pitiful.

For the last year plus so many on this board bitched and complained and called for the firing of our admins for not doing what many of us thought should have been done. But now it is being done and a simple question is where are the complainers who now have a chance to backup their words but are not?

Other schools run many of these same event and in comparison it's embarrassing.

Clearly I have wasted my time the last couple of months asking for help with it falling on deaf ears. So I will ask no more. Instead I will just continue to post NIL events and leave it up the very few who support the cause.
You haven't wasted your time. We would be in even far worse shape if you didn't put forth the effort, so please don't feel like your hard work has gone to waste. I could tell that the effort has not been there because there has been an increased effort on social media to spread the word over the last few weeks especially with the transfer portal looming.

I think one of the biggest reasons for the lack of effort and I have been saying it multiple times lack of communication by the school to the masses about why NIL is important. Can't just sell the message in small meetings with your big donors. You need them too, but everybody needs to be involved. They missed a golden opportunity at beefsteak. I have yet to see a concerted effort to get your season ticket holders together and give some real facts/numbers of what it will take to build a good team. They need to say if you want us to compete and win we need to raise at least 1.5 million dollars. I just based the number off what I have heard. If we don't we cannot afford to get the players we need to win. No more politically correct words, no more saying we are not behind when clearly looking at the talent in the Big East(our lack of shooters for one) we are. This is pay for play and it needs to be said to the fan base. Providence/UCONN all held meetings with their fans laid down what was needed and they responded.

Other schools run many of these same events and in comparison it's embarrassing.

@Halldan1 All you can do is get the word out. The rest is out of your control. The Athletic Department should honor you for that.

Seton Hall has a longstanding problem with engagement and outreach. And with NIL it’s paramount to have that because you need to explain and pitch it since the principle of it – paying players who already get a free ride and perks – is offensive to many people. Part of that is education on the evolution of how we got here, how that principle has changed. Plus the base to pull from at SHU is painfully small.

Providence has somehow lapped us. Look at everything they do… Small things from coach press conference before games to how they pack The Dunk. They generate engagement, they have an institutional commitment to engagement. Start there, then fundraising is secondary in this day and age. Start with fundraising and overlook engagement and you get where we are I feel. An old model not helped by starting so late. But there have been a number of individuals who have tried so hard and invested so much time and dedication to Seton Hall because of their passion that other schools would kill to have. You are one of those.

I wonder if McBride has the wherewithal. Not only did he walk into a closed society (lots of nepotism/cronyism), but a disenfranchised fan base that only turns out when we consistently win which we’re also not doing. We had better engagement and publicity at the end of the Willard Era. Of course we were winning more.

Keep up the good fight Dan! Keep posting. If it inspires 1 or 100 posters to donate to NIL, so be it.

You are doing fine and it is going to take some time and what Piratz said - institutional commitment. To me looking back at the Beefsteak and not presenting from the podium in detail about NIL multiple times was a massive lost opportunity. For the life of me, I still can't figure out how the powers that be (AD, Coach, Pres) allowed that to happen and didn't pivot when the speaker who was supposed to speak about it didn't. It speaks to our inability to change. We all have to do more and you do plenty. It's gonna take time unfortunately, but the torch has to be carried by the Pres, AD and Head Coach and has to be discussed constantly without exception or apology. This is the environment we are in.

Reactions: Piratz
Bump - my replica jersey is great for my son and I have a Kooks t shirt on the way. I also love the jacket - so might look to do that as well. Teams on the right track let’s support the cause.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halldan1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT