Inside DePaul's new place

SHUSource

All Universe
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
Wonderamaland
Still under construction:
DBvB2Z1WAAQO-zG.jpg:large

I read online that it was expected to seat 10K. Just by glancing at that photo it looks smaller than that, but they can be deceiving. Looks like it's going to be a nice venue either way.

If Depaul doesn't get it going with this arena (and it's in a good location), they never will. I wish they had a coach I had more confidence in, but with Tiger Campbell and the new arena, it's a start. The AllState Arena was a depressing airplane hangar.

I hope we can set a date to visit Chicago with the Booster Club this year. They do have an attached brand new hotel opening and it is in prime Chicago location with plenty to do, but I hear Vinny has another great place to stay in Chicago so..,

how was that funded? Any word on seating capacity?
Upon announcement, ESPN reported the expected cost of the 10,000-seat arena, located on Cermak Road between Indiana and Prairie Avenue, across the street from McCormick Place was $173 million.[3] The funding will come from three sources: $70 million from the university, $70 million from a McPier bond fund and $33 million from public taxes (e.e., $103 million from public funds).[3] It will be built to host concerts, conventions and other events in addition to DePaul Basketball games.[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wintrust_Arena

And how much of that money was siphoned off by the political machine that has run Chicago for decades. My question is who actually owns the arena or is it jointly own by the City and DePaul and who runs it.Why do I feel someone politically connected will wind up with the job as Executive Director.

And how much of that money was siphoned off by the political machine that has run Chicago for decades. My question is who actually owns the arena or is it jointly own by the City and DePaul and who runs it.Why do I feel someone politically connected will wind up with the job as Executive Director.

The Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority, commonly known as McPier or MPEA, is a corporation that owns and manages the new arena, the Navy Pier and McCormick Place in Chicago.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Pier_and_Exposition_Authority

Thanks for the info 96 . So if I understand it correctly DePaul put $70 million ( 40% ) into this arena but they have no ownership interest in it.

Thanks for the info 96 . So if I understand it correctly DePaul put $70 million ( 40% ) into this arena but they have no ownership interest in it.
Doesn't look like they have ownership per se, but I would assume they do get some share of the revenue. Could be as simple as they keep all revenue from their events or a small cut of all revenue.

DePaul retains revenue from naming rights at the arena, game day sponsorships and other sources because it is splitting the $164 million construction cost of the building with the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority, the government agency known as McPier that will own and operate the facility. The school last year signed a 50-year lease. to play its men's and women's basketball games and hold other events such as commencement there.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...trikes-arena-naming-rights-deal-with-wintrust

I firmly believe within 4 years Depaul will be a threat within the Big East, I hope so for the conferences sake.

Everyone says Depaul, Gtown, & St John's need to be good for the league. They forget that it means other teams will have to suck. Idc who sucks as long as it's not us

Reactions: garyshu71 and shu09
I see DePaul improving for sure. The LaLumiere assistant coach, Tyger, the new arena and Dr Gabe are all big-time positives for this Program.

There will be no more doormat in the BE unless Ewing stumbles and GTown gets set back another 5 years. IMO, every Program is on solid ground or improving with GTown and DePaul as only question marks for the immediate 3-5 years. Even if Mullin doesn't prove to be a great coach, he's certainly bringing in talent at St Johns. The other 7 programs are all solid with good coaches in place, although Who will Creighton hire?

Last edited:
Everyone says Depaul, Gtown, & St John's need to be good for the league. They forget that it means other teams will have to suck. Idc who sucks as long as it's not us

I don't think that's really what people are saying. DePaul is currently an RPI killer. They can finish in the bottom 3rd of the league but have a much better RPI. That way it's not a lose-lose proposition for other league members to play them. You get almost nothing from a win, and your season could go down the tubes with a loss.

Reactions: shu09
Kenpom

9th place team
#99 St John's

10th place team
#184 DePaul

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT