ADVERTISEMENT

It's official: Rutgers got a lousy deal from the Big Ten | Politi

How ironic that someone at the Ledger is complaining about a raw deal that doesn't level the playing field while doing everything under the sun to cover Rutgers sports and virtually nothing else.

Hypocrisy?

Reactions: batts
How ironic that someone at the Ledger is complaining about a raw deal that doesn't level the playing field while doing everything under the sun to cover Rutgers sports and virtually nothing else.

Hypocrisy?

Ding ding ding!

In comparison to floating on a life raft in the ocean, which is where UConn and Cincinnati landed, RU has a tremendous deal....not realistic to compare to the riches associated with the rest of the B1G member, but being in the AAC or elsewhere, would actually be an official bad deal.

In comparison to floating on a life raft in the ocean, which is where UConn and Cincinnati landed, RU has a tremendous deal....not realistic to compare to the riches associated with the rest of the B1G member, but being in the AAC or elsewhere, would actually be an official bad deal.
Hard to argue with that... think UConn or Cincy would take the RU deal??

From the article:
The longtime Big Ten commissioner is a master deal maker, and during those negotiations, he had all the leverage. Any deal to get out of the American Athletic Conference and into the nation's premier conference, especially when it looked like the music would stop in the conference realignment game without the Scarlet Knights finding a chair, was one that they had to take.

As I wrote back then: Rutgers just wanted a lifeboat and ended up on a Carnival cruise ship.

Newjerseyhawk, My thoughts exactly, without even reading the article. The Ferrari is coming , but it will take 6 more years to build.

Hypocrisy?

Dan
What do you expect from the Ledger / NJ. Com both wholly-owned subsidiaries of RU .

Newjerseyhawk, My thoughts exactly, without even reading the article. The Ferrari is coming , but it will take 6 more years to build.

I agree with you both. And with the BTN deal coming up in less than 6 years that will increase the full member payout they start getting. B1G also had a nice NCAA basketball credits earning season to share with the members going forward.

Paybacks are heck. The BE got a raw deal taking them, they're the BIG (in more ways than 1) problem now. There's always the Ivies for their next stop.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
$50M+ for full share in the BigTen in 2018. That's nuts. If that's way of the future I don't see how non power five schools can compete in 10-15 years. What is the revenue share going to be then? $80M per school?

Rutgers is making more from media in the Big10 than they would make in the American. Plus, when you host such major schools like Ohio State, Michigan, etc.., you will make more money in tickets, etc..

It's not a bad deal for Rutgers.

I'll happily take an article bashing Rutgers, but this is just dumb. How about comparing the deal they got versus the alternative - college sports purgatory. The deal they got is tremendously better than the AAC.

Perhaps bad press is better than no press at all, but articles likes this make me somewhat relieved that The Ledger ignores SHU. It seems all Rutgers articles from Politi are hatchet jobs.

If I remember correctly they are taking an advanced loan out on the future payments to build such things as their new practice facility. So it really doesn't hurt them in the short term anyway.

As long as there is no major conference reshuffled in the next ten years and TV deals don't completely fall apart before the next round of negotiations Rutgers still aligned in a positive way. The are in A P5 conference with huge monetary potential. I can't speak for success on the field but money wise they seem to be in an OK situation given the alternatives such as a UCONN .

FWIW, there's no gripe here with Rutgers. They did what they had to do and I don't think there's a person at the school that isn't happy with what went down. After all the alternative was the AAC.

I posted the article as a criticism of the Ledger for their hypocrisy in complaining about Big Ten favoritism while they do likewise with their college sports coverage.

Maybe instead of patting himself on the back for predicting what everyone who had any knowledge of the deal already knew Politi and the paper he works for should spend more time writing quality sports stories about schools not named Rutgers when appropriate.

Ryan Dunleavy has done a 4 part interview with Lyons. A good read every Pirate should read!
Today's article (part 3) is essentially a puff piece saying how great of a job Hobbs is doing at Rutgers. So we made it two stories before the eventual favoritism showed its head

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Pernetti was the guy who negotiated the B1G deal; correct? Guy was really overrated in hindsight, but in all fairness it's not like Rutgers had much negotiating leverage.

Let's just hope this financial windfall for RU happens, otherwise it's going to eventually fall in the laps of NJ tax payers or the students and families who choose RU as their college choice. Whatever the case Rutgers continues to be a mess.

Well that evens the score for all the other slights during the previous 5 years or so. .
That hardly evens the score! They constantly try to blow smoke up everyone's ass in an effort to get them to believe that Rutgers is a Division 1 school and relevant in something while constantly ignoring the only high major D1 school in the state.

Today's article (part 3) is essentially a puff piece saying how great of a job Hobbs is doing at Rutgers. So we made it two stories before the eventual favoritism showed its head
It was also categorized under Rutgers football. Hardly the place anyone would look for articles regarding college athletics.

That hardly evens the score! They constantly try to blow smoke up everyone's ass in an effort to get them to believe that Rutgers is a Division 1 school and relevant in something while constantly ignoring the only high major D1 school in the state.
You do understand sarcasm right?

You do understand sarcasm right?
Yes, I do. If your comment came from someone else I would have seen it as such however when it comes from someone who feels the need to defend and report on Rutgers on a Seton Hall fan site the sarcasm is totally lost. Leave the Rutgers stuff to those that care on nitwit nation or wherever they go, we don't need it here and it's insulting that you feel you need to do it here. I'm not trying to be an ass but it's just my opinion, I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

This board is a forum and as such, especially in the off season, there are a limited number of topics that can be discussed. If you don't like reading about Rutgers or any other sports matter posted here read the topic line and skip it.

There is only so much SHU news, which BTW I do everything possible to post in the spring and summer. If I concentrated solely on the Pirates in June, July and August this board would be dead. I think most would prefer the alternative.

Reactions: Irishwakeup
I don't think it was a bad deal for RU. What choice did they really have? However, what is really unknown is whether the other Big 10 schools with that 10 year gap of money will always be at an advantageous position because of that "head start." Clearly, this will help in terms of facilities and the ability to pay coaches and assistant more. Is that something that cannot be overcome?

Reactions: Seton75
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT