ADVERTISEMENT

It's time to make these handshake lines optional

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Myron Medcalf, ESPN Staff Writer

We've had a conversation about the value of handshake lines for years. Every time there is a problem after a game, we begin to question their purpose.

As we should.

On Wednesday, the Southland Conference announced the suspensions of eight players from Incarnate Word and Texas A&M-Commerce after their postgame melee that began -- obviously -- in the handshake line.

The line itself isn't necessarily the problem, but collegiate sports could learn from the pros by not forcing athletes to shake hands after an emotional matchup. It should always be optional. That's one way to help avoid some of the postgame drama we've witnessed in recent years.

For 40 minutes, players battle in contentious games. Compelling them to shake hands has always been a risky move. It's time to make these handshake lines optional.

Another reason I don't like ESPN.... articles like that. Sure let's dumb down sportsmanship instead of trying to impart some life lessons to today's college payers. "Not my problem" some coaches may say in this world of NIL greed and self promotion that we live in.

I was a salesman most of my life. I lost my share of deals, sometimes to lying sacks of sh.. I never had to shake their hand after losing the deal. lol

I am not saying that the handshake like is bad or should be stopped. But I don't think at the college level it teaches anything other than to slap some hands and keep your mouth shut for a while.

Is it a ritual for any other sport?

362 teams, ~ 25 games played so far per team, 1 fight. yeah, not knee jerk.
Don’t forget about our own coach’s altercation.

Handshake lines are unnecessary at this level. How many of these players actually mean it when they say “good game”?

This cuts way deeper into our society today - what it values (or doesn't) and what it rewards (or excuses). Why do we excuse the bad behavior (coming off "emotional" games - NONSENSE) and call for the removal of one of the things that exemplifies sportsmanship? The handshake line should be mandatory and any incidents that break out should be punished severely.

Hockey does it the right way. Those guys beat each other up for 60 minutes a game in intense playoff series. When it's over, they get in line at center ice, look each other in the eye, shake hands, and say good job.

It's not hard to do. WIn or lose, you get in that line and you shake hands with your opponent.

Hockey fights are bad behavior. No other sport allows fighting. You might get you arrested if you did that while getting a hot dog at the game. Why us that OK? Why do the fans cheer more for a fight that a goal?

Hockey fights are bad behavior. No other sport allows fighting. You might get you arrested if you did that while getting a hot dog at the game. Why is that OK? Why do the fans cheer more for a fight that a goal?
Obviously not a hockey fan.

Myron Medcalf, ESPN Staff Writer

We've had a conversation about the value of handshake lines for years. Every time there is a problem after a game, we begin to question their purpose.

As we should.

On Wednesday, the Southland Conference announced the suspensions of eight players from Incarnate Word and Texas A&M-Commerce after their postgame melee that began -- obviously -- in the handshake line.

The line itself isn't necessarily the problem, but collegiate sports could learn from the pros by not forcing athletes to shake hands after an emotional matchup. It should always be optional. That's one way to help avoid some of the postgame drama we've witnessed in recent years.

For 40 minutes, players battle in contentious games. Compelling them to shake hands has always been a risky move. It's time to make these handshake lines optional.
Yet hockey players...who by the way often fight as part of the game...can manage to control themselves after losing a playoff series no less, and shake hands after what I would consider to be...a fairly emotional experience...losing the series!

Yeah, better to avoid the issue then to demand some accountability and sportsmanship...isn't that part of what you are to learn from sports? That life isn't always going to deal you a winning hand...but you have to learn how to deal with it...and not act like a lunatic.

Come to think of it I can think of a few adults who could use this lesson...hmm...

This cuts way deeper into our society today - what it values (or doesn't) and what it rewards (or excuses). Why do we excuse the bad behavior (coming off "emotional" games - NONSENSE) and call for the removal of one of the things that exemplifies sportsmanship? The handshake line should be mandatory and any incidents that break out should be punished severely.

Hockey does it the right way. Those guys beat each other up for 60 minutes a game in intense playoff series. When it's over, they get in line at center ice, look each other in the eye, shake hands, and say good job.

It's not hard to do. WIn or lose, you get in that line and you shake hands with your opponent.
Sorry I posted similarly before reading this...but spot on.

Reactions: PF58 and shu09
I was a salesman most of my life. I lost my share of deals, sometimes to lying sacks of sh.. I never had to shake their hand after losing the deal. lol

I am not saying that the handshake like is bad or should be stopped. But I don't think at the college level it teaches anything other than to slap some hands and keep your mouth shut for a while.

Is it a ritual for any other sport?
Well.... the Army Navy rivalry comes to mind. And really any Navy home football game..... they sing the alma mater and the opposing team lines up behind them showing respect. Not saying all rivalries are like Amry Navy... but there are some things to learn from those examples. Things that are given short shrift these days. Respect, sportsmanship, never quit...... those things. Hand shake lines should be taken more seriously in my opinion and continued. Mutual respect is key. (as an aside, NET doesn't help much there with an emphasis on margn of victory)

Don’t forget about our own coach’s altercation.

Handshake lines are unnecessary at this level. How many of these players actually mean it when they say “good game”?
Again, how often does this happen? We're trying to legislate something that's not a problem but an outlier. If we play 30 games this season, that 1 "altercation" would account for 3% of the season. That's silly. You talk to Sha and say "behave, you're a BE coach".

Football players spend 3 hours trying to kill each other and then spend a good 15 min saying good game.

Obviously not a hockey fan.
I am. And the fights are stupid. And fighting is bad behavior unless yiu are a boxer. The nfl is kinda tough but figbting isnt allowed. I think the hockey example is comical. Shiw no self control when uou get mad on the ice and get the fans approval. Then give a bullshit handshake and be given respect

Again, how often does this happen? We're trying to legislate something that's not a problem but an outlier. If we play 30 games this season, that 1 "altercation" would account for 3% of the season. That's silly. You talk to Sha and say "behave, you're a BE coach".

Football players spend 3 hours trying to kill each other and then spend a good 15 min saying good game.
Football players aren't required to line up and say good game. They go and seek the opposing players they want to engage with. Same thing now in the NBA. There's no handshake line. Hockey players do it after series deciding games. So if they are lucky enough to make it to the SCF, that's 4 times out of about 100 games where they line up to shake hands.

I dont care if it stays or goes, but its not earth shattering if they get rid of it and let the players engage the opposition as they see fit to congradulate them.

No hand shake lines, no court storming…

Give me a break.

If an idiot punches someone on the handshake line, which is extremely rare, simple- charge him/her with assault. The problem is we don’t and they think nothing will happen except for a suspension, if that.

Reactions: shu09

Give me a break.

If an idiot punches someone on the handshake line, which is extremely rare, simple- charge him/her with assault. The problem is we don’t and they think nothing will happen except for a suspension, if that.
+1. Yeah, let’s legislate against demonstrating good sportsmanship.

Not 100% sure who but I recall gonzo shaking an opposing coaches hand with such vigor after an SHU upset win (Louisville-Pitino??) that he nearly knocked the opposing coaches shoulder out of its socket.

Give me a break.

We now live in a society where if one person does something out of line, it MUST be taken away from everyone. Applies to a lot of things, just look around in your daily life. It's pathetic and completely illogical.

I still play hoops on thurs nights n sat ams in SOuF delco n we all shakes hands after every game… sometimes 9x a night or day depending on how games with play. Cats are SSwRJ with this nonsense, but tmz I mean joke ESPN in charge, jokes

Same here. When I play pickup games, everyone does it. It's just instinctual, normal behavior.

Required hand shake line is dumb. Make it optional as in NFL. Players don't shake before start-of-game tap. Don't think I've agreed with anything Bill "Ball-Screen" Raftery has said in 50 years (well, maybe when he called the John Thompson G'town Alonzo Mourning teams thugs....), but I agree with him here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT