ADVERTISEMENT

Jaquan Sanders

Gohall129

All Big East
Gold Member
Feb 23, 2022
I think this warrants it’s on thread… What is going on… Sprained ankle or not?

Kid is supposed to be the best 3 point shooter on our team. He’s a catch and shoot guy. Not going to create his own shot at this point and I can count the number of plays we’ve run for him on one hand this year.

Instead we have Dawes and Wusu hoisting up 13 threes. Can you really sit there and say this is defense related when we have Dawes missing assignments and getting cooked all night?

He was in a bit in the first half.

It was a tough game. You go down 20 and are trying to ride combos to a rally.

Reactions: Section112
We also don't run any offense which would allow a catch and shoot guy to.... Catch and... Shoot.
This. I know Sha was bitching at them in a timeout about the ball sticking and Sanders is a player that cannot create his own offense. You need to run plays, get the guy a look. Dawes is the same way IMO but because he has a better handle and quickness than Sanders (but bad, frenetic decision making constantly) he's allowed to play crazy.

Part of was probably game flow too. The team was down in the game for so long trying to come back by getting stops and playing in transition. Sanders is not the type of player to do that.

Our offensive is awful to watch. In to the post and out. Reversal. Movement. Cuts. Give the ball to jaden on purpose once in a while. Nah.

And the announcers can rave about our defense. Nothing special in my eyes. I admire our toughness. Usc obviously better than us and they played closer to their ability. We get it down to 3, kind of remarkable. But the games can't be like sitting in a dentist's chair.

Our offensive is awful to watch. In to the post and out. Reversal. Movement. Cuts. Give to ball to jaden on ourpose once in a while. Nah.

And the announcers can rave about our defense. Nothing special in my eyes. I admire our toughness. Usc obviously better than us and they played closer to their ability. We get it down to 4, kind of remarkable. But the games cant be like sitting in a dentists chair.
The lead was cut to 3 from down 20 against a top 25 team in their backyard. With one front court player available, that comeback was huge. Plus we out rebounded them.

The lead was cut to 3 from down 20 against a top 25 team in their backyard. With one front court player available, that comeback was huge. Plus we out rebounded them.
That was a big part of the comeback. We were getting killed on the boards earlier. Ended up 39-37 SHU fueled by 17 offensive rebounds for SHU, 6 of which came from Bediako.

Our offensive is awful to watch. In to the post and out. Reversal. Movement. Cuts. Give the ball to jaden on purpose once in a while. Nah.

And the announcers can rave about our defense. Nothing special in my eyes. I admire our toughness. Usc obviously better than us and they played closer to their ability. We get it down to 3, kind of remarkable. But the games can't be like sitting in a dentist's chair.

Bediako and Davis should be our first and second options on post ups to start our offense.

Kid can spot shoot it but it looks a little slow and Sha is a defensive guy.

They got to push him to get in better shape. We need the Myles Powel photo 2.0 but not everybody has that kind of motor.

Reactions: Piratz

They got to push him to get in better shape. We need the Myles Powel photo 2.0 but not everybody has that kind of motor.
Sha can be a defensive guy all he wants. We need shooters on the floor when you shoot the 3 as poorly as we do. Sha has to adjust. Sanders needs minutes.

Sha Can’t play the “defensive guy” card if he’s letting Dawes stay on the court missing defensive assignments

Sha can be a defensive guy all he wants. We need shooters on the floor when you shoot the 3 as poorly as we do. Sha has to adjust. Sanders needs minutes.
I agree. Less Dawes and more Sanders would be good to see.

This. I know Sha was bitching at them in a timeout about the ball sticking and Sanders is a player that cannot create his own offense. You need to run plays, get the guy a look. Dawes is the same way IMO but because he has a better handle and quickness than Sanders (but bad, frenetic decision making constantly) he's allowed to play crazy.

Part of was probably game flow too. The team was down in the game for so long trying to come back by getting stops and playing in transition. Sanders is not the type of player to do that.
I mean…Watch some Jay Wright Nova film, use his methods and plays to run to get guys open for shots. Are we that stubborn that, God forbid we copy what another team did so successfully…?

Whether we make those shots or not, I don’t know…But GETTING the shot for these catch and shoot guys, shouldn’t be akin to cracking the nuclear codes for us.

But it requires the discipline to run actual plays, and have lots of movement, both player and ball.

But if we keep playing like this…I’m afraid this year will become a repeat of last

We got good looks during the game. We missed them. Simple as that. We make three more we probably win the game. 6 for 18, still bad but we probably win. The offense would look so much better if the shots go down but it’s still the same offense that opened up the shots. Gotta make them.

Usc drove, collapsed our d, kicked it out all night for open 3s all night. We still go 1 on 1 too much and driving into 2-3 defenders.
It is pretty much as simple as that.

And again usc was taking mega long 3s but there were no contests within an arms reach

Bediako and Davis should be our first and second options on post ups to start our offense.
There were getting swatted with regularity. Were don’t have post players able to go up strong and dunk on a shot blocker. Announcers said it repeatedly you need to go through the chest of a blocker, not around them. Put a hard shoulder right in the middle of his chest. Take the offensive foul once it twice add he’ll think twice shot about blocking the shot next time.

Reactions: mbraue
There were getting swatted with regularity. Were don’t have post players able to go up strong and dunk on a shot blocker. Announcers said it repeatedly you need to go through the chest of a blocker, not around them. Put a hard shoulder right in the middle of his chest. Take the offensive foul once it twice add he’ll think twice shot about blocking the shot next time.
Davis is a small forward being forced to play out of position at power forward because of our lack of recruiting and NIL$$$.DD,JB and KR are the only legit starters we have right now. who can compete in the BE.Dawes and Wasu are rotation players and the others are too young.

We also don't run any offense which would allow a catch and shoot guy to.... Catch and... Shoot.
The thing is we do it at times. We run the occasional set for Dawes and even Sanders. Unfortunately, we typically ask guys to create their own shots.

My fear is that Sha learned offense under Willard and hasn't dug out from under that yet. St. Peter's O certainly looked good on their magical run in the tourney.
I think Sha runs a lot of what Willard ran in his later years. But he also learned from George Blaney who ran uptempo offense much of his time at Holy Cross. He also has Willard's defense first mentality.

But was not good every other part of his 4 years there.
Sha's teams have consistently struggled to shoot the ball and score during his time as a head coach.

But was not good every other part of his 4 years there.
This is a concern. If anyone can adjust it's him. He played under and against enough good coaches to get it right. He needs more player who can shoot well. It's that simple. Tubek is supposed to be a good outside shooter. Hoping he suits up soon.

The thing is we do it at times. We run the occasional set for Dawes and even Sanders. Unfortunately, we typically ask guys to create their own shots.

I think Sha runs a lot of what Willard ran in his later years. But he also learned from George Blaney who ran uptempo offense much of his time at Holy Cross. He also has Willard's defense first mentality.

Sha's teams have consistently struggled to shoot the ball and score during his time as a head coach.
This is nothing new.

EHE is 31% from 3 for his career on over 100 attempts. He may be able to help stretch the floor. Not a great percentage but good on this team.

Reactions: mbraue
It’s strep throat…. Not a broken leg.. does our NIL money get these kids teddy bears and blankets too?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT