ADVERTISEMENT

Jared Rhoden following in footsteps of Seton Hall’s great leaders

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Zach Braziller

Jared Rhoden’s signing with Seton Hall was hardly big news.

He was an unsung three-star prospect who barely cracked the top 200 of national recruiting sites. Like Myles Powell and Sandro Mamukelashvili, the last two Pirates to be named Big East Player of the Year, Rhoden was brought along slowly, coming off the bench as a freshman. Just as Powell and Mamukelashvili did, however, Rhoden has developed into one of the league’s best players by his senior year.

“I remember being a freshman and sophomore looking up to those guys and seeing them get all of these accolades, knowing I wanted to accomplish those things,” said Rhoden, who was voted onto the Big East’s preseason first team on Tuesday. “Myles and Sandro would always tell me that my time was coming. [They] would always tell me, ‘Jared you’re going to be in this position one day and it’s going to be on you. When you’re a senior you’re going to look back and see all the hard work is going to pay off.’ ”

setonhallrhoden.jpg

Jared RhodenBill Kostroun

Rhoden will be counted on to emerge this year if Seton Hall is to return to the NCAA Tournament after narrowly missing it a year ago. With so many new players on the roster, after Mamukelashvili’s departure for the NBA, the leadership of Rhoden, a 6-foot-6 wing from Baldwin, N.Y., will be vital.

Mamukelashvili was quiet and led by example. Powell was vocal, but offered tender leadership. Rhoden’s style is different. He’ll bark out orders during practice or get on guys for not playing with enough intensity.

“He’s very aggressive. He’s an alpha,” senior Myles Cale said. “Jared is going to tell you what it is. He’ll be blunt about it.”

Some of Rhoden’s intense nature was on display Tuesday. He was fuming that Seton Hall was picked to finish fifth in the Big East by the league’s coaches. When Cale was giving a diplomatic answer on the preseason poll, Rhoden shook his head.

“I know the capabilities of this team we have and the depth and experience we have,” he said. “I feel like it’s unmatched to what we’re going to see. … As the time goes, everyone will see and we’ll wake up the world.”

Big East commissioner Val Ackerman told The Post the league is open to expansion, but is not necessarily pursuing new partners.

The Big East’s 12-year television deal with Fox expires in 2025, and enhancing its product is important. Adding a school, however, would have to make sense financially and provide a brand boost, as bringing Connecticut back did last year. It also would eliminate the round-robin schedule, since the conference does not want to move to 22 league games.

“I think we have to be open to maybe a 12th or more, depending on what happens in the coming years,” Ackerman said. “The end of your media rights deal factors in. … The incremental revenue that you can bring in, particularly from television from a new school, is part of that equation.”

St. John’s new president, Rev. Brian Shanley, told The Post the league presidents are open to adding a 12th member, but there is no school that makes sense. Gonzaga, which has reached the national championship game twice in the last four tournaments out of the mid-major West Coast Conference, has been rumored. But geography — Gonzaga is located in Spokane, Wash. — is a major stumbling block.

“I think that’s the feeling a lot of presidents have,” Shanley said. “It’s a travel nightmare for both sides.”

He is certainly that. Intense to the core.

His personality is different from our past on court leaders.

Reactions: thehall07
My memory is a little fuzzy now, but I remember the away OT loss at Gtown when he was a freshman and he made a couple of big mistakes. Less confident players would have been useless for the balance of the game but he kept on coming. My feeling from that time on was Jared was going to be great for us.

I remember Willard said he was shaking on the Free Throw line during the Gtown Game. Anyway, he then bounced back with really good game when we beat Nova at home last game of regular season. I loved his energy coming off the bench as a freshman and how he always got rebounds, loose balls. etc. It reminded me of Adrian Griffin.

I think as a freshman Willard loved his aggressiveness and put him in at the end of games (a little too much I thought at the time) knowing that he would get to the loose balls or rebounds or get deflections.
I remember a few times he almost costs us games as a frosh, like when he hung on the rim vs Marquette and when he got a foul going for a rebound against Kentucky.
But all that valuable time on the court Willard gave him , made him the player he is today.

Reactions: mbraue and Hallsome
Another thing to think about. Our little frosh Conway got into it with Rhoden the other day at practice. Says something about Conway not backing down from the Alpha Dog.

My wild/not so wild prediction - Rhoden has a better year than Mamu last year. I think he’s the clear Batman on a team with some robins.
I think this is true but Jared needs to remember what he’s great at. don’t need him trying to do too much.
When we signed him I thought it was a great get and while his preseason notoriety is great I think the country and not just BE will take notice by season’s end.

It is imperative for Jared to be real good from the three. So critical to his future and to our success. He hits them at a good clip and so much opens up for us and so many eyes open up about him. Hope he did some John Morton like summer school from the arc.

One thing is obvious watching him. His handle has improved immeasurably. Giving him another option in the half court and on the break.

Reactions: Hallsome
It is imperative for Jared to be real good from the three. So critical to his future and to our success. He hits them at a good clip and so much opens up for us and so many eyes open up about him. Hope he did some John Morton like summer school from the arc.
Agreed. I think we are expecting Harris to be very good from behind the arc. Rhoden shot at about a 30% clip last year. I’d like to see that in the mid or even higher range of the 30s. Because to your point if him and Cale can knock them down at a solid rate it opens everything else up.

Agreed. I think we are expecting Harris to be very good from behind the arc. Rhoden shot at about a 30% clip last year. I’d like to see that in the mid or even higher range of the 30s. Because to your point if him and Cale can knock them down at a solid rate it opens everything else up.
Agree with all of this. Rhoden started out shooting very well from 3 last season but then his 3 ball, like everyone elses it seemed, wore down in the stretch run.

Another thing to think about. Our little frosh Conway got into it with Rhoden the other day at practice. Says something about Conway not backing down from the Alpha Dog.
One thing is obvious watching him. His handle has improved immeasurably. Giving him another option in the half court and on the break.
This is key to him elevating to the next level. Needs to be able create his shot off the dribble and then be able to create for others - make that extra pass. This is what made the Lakers under Phil Jackson so lethal. It’s not the first or even the second pass that creates a great offensive set.

He really needs to shoot the 3 well with consistency at his size. Slowing down a bit will help, but within the framework of who he is. As the great John Wooden once said, be quick but don’t hurry.

If only we could have slowed down Harolds Karlis…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT