ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Willard's salary

Look college athletic coaching salaries are outrageous as it is...while no one wants to give salary back or take a pay cut so many state schools have done so. 150 people furloughed is something. If the president of the school is doing a cut those that are in higher positions in athletic department should do so as well and it should be announced.

Setoniansource and shu09 are about as anti NYshoreguy as it comes on here for their reasons but I back their POV.

That’s just what it is...THEIR POV.

I join those on here who think that no announcement is necessary and it’s nobody’s business to know what Coach has or hasn’t done. Stop trying to make something out of nothing. I know you wish for something but it’s really not your call to make or even point out. And that’s MY POV.

Reactions: Hallsome
Look college athletic coaching salaries are outrageous as it is...while no one wants to give salary back or take a pay cut so many state schools have done so. 150 people furloughed is something. If the president of the school is doing a cut those that are in higher positions in athletic department should do so as well and it should be announced.

Setoniansource and shu09 are about as anti NYshoreguy as it comes on here for their reasons but I back their POV.

Not anti you at all just like giving you a hard time.

Reactions: The SHUttle
Imagine saying/typing this with a straight face. And then imagine believing it. Some people, man.:rolleyes:

Another thing: This. Is. Not. About. Donations. A pay cut is not a donation to the school.

Oh, one more thing: While the furlough isn't a terrible outcome for the employee right now, there is no guarantee they will be hired back. If a university is furloughing 150 employees, that's a sign of a problem.
Not sure HOW BAD of a problem 150 people is....most can’t do anything at home and working at home is what has to be done for now. I’m not trivializing the impact and seriousness- I’m just saying that the figure alone doesn’t warrant major concern (the situation generally and lost revenue warrant some concern of course)

It’s market and I don’t think the market or capitalism are outrageous.

State schools are different. Taxpayers aren’t building us a renovated Walsh.

And non $$ making sports .... those coaches don’t make a lot generally speaking.

A few things: This thread is not a referendum on whether or not Kevin Willard earns his salary or has a right to do what he wants with his money. Let's stipulate that he does earn it and can do what he wants with it.

But if anyone missed the fact earlier in this thread that in university life, the highest-paid people are compensated in such a way and with the understanding that they will, even in a normal year, be returning a generous amount to the institution through philanthropy. It's expected and, in many cases, written in the their contracts. This assures the university and its community that these key, visible people will be seen as leadership donors, which invites the average alum/fan/donor to line up behind that leadership and support these campaigns. You see this in one-time gifts to fund a project, matching gifts, etc.

This is a good system, but there is no getting around the fact that is is expected. And, to repeat, oftentimes, it is bound by contract.

Having said that, I can certainly appreciate the desire many have to do their philanthropy quietly or in anonymity. I have always appreciated that lesson from Jesus about when you gives alms, give quietly with one hand so that the other does not know (and that is a poor paraphrasing of a beautiful idea). My guess is that Kevin Willard is that sort of personality, and that elevates him in my estimation.

However, in a system that even in normal times demands the generous philanthropy of an entire university community to fund its operations and pay its highest salaries - especially on the athletic end at a school where if we're lucky, men's basketball funds itself - it is a practical imperative in a time of such crisis for every one of the highest earners to accept salary reductions and then willingly allow the university to reassure its community that everyone is making sacrifices. How on earth can they furlough employees making $40,000 if those who enjoy absolute financial security aren't dialing back a little bit from their $3.5 million? And again, let's stipulate that in his marketplace, he earns and deserves that salary. But if your university community finds itself in jeopardy, what good is it if you aren't doing your part to help it?

"To whom much is given, much is required."

Think about your last paragraph for a second. "How on earth can they furlough employees making $40,000...". Maybe because someone in the office actually crunched some numbers and realized these people would likely make the same or MORE than they currently make because of the presently existing unemployment benefits packages. Maybe they realized this makes the most sense for the UNIVERSITY so that they can best allocate their own resources to get through this.

The government is literally handing money out right now, and the unemployment compensation is fantastic for folks not making a significant salary. If I have a bunch of librarians, cooks, cleaners or entry level workers that are sitting around doing nothing because there are no students, and the government is stepping in and willing to keep them afloat for now, wouldn't it be prudent for a small University such as ours to take advantage of it?

You're over here bringing up Jesus Christ and acting like the school threw these people into the poorhouse. They have full benefits and likely near full, full, or beyond full compensation right now. The school may be a non profit university, but it still has to be run like a business or it won't survive. I actually know people that have been furloughed there, do you? I see the situation they have right now, and trust me they are ok. It's incredible the level of grandstanding or virtue signaling we have going on anymore as a society - shit happens, and when it does plenty of people rise up and help others along.

I don't need to know what Kevin Willard is doing, have some faith in your fellow man. But the problem is so many people talk of faith in others but have none. They need a press release or a newspaper article to believe anything anymore.

Great take, SHUHitman.

Another issue on Willard and publicly announcing anything: He makes $2.8 million a year. If he forgoes 20% of that am I still suppose to feel good about that? Is that really a sacrifice?

Great take, SHUHitman.

Another issue on Willard and publicly announcing anything: He makes $2.8 million a year. If he forgoes 20% of that am I still suppose to feel good about that? Is that really a sacrifice?
Et tu Brutus?

Source works for and knows Universities so his view is important. I would argue though that Colleges and Universities are far from a not for profit setting today after putting three kids through and still two in grad school. Those days of community and feeling good about being a not for profit are long gone in my opinion. The Universities that last are well run businesses and it's most likely better for those furloughed employees that they can collect unemployment with the government tossing in extra money to boot. Much better than being laid off. None of that has anything to do with what Willard does or does not do and this is not a high priority PR issue for the school in any way shape or form in my opinion.

Reactions: deheremike
Great take, SHUHitman.

I say no you don’t have to feel good but yes it’s a sacrifice.

It might be 20% of 1.5M btw, cuz he’s already gotten paid half a year. I’m assuming his annual salary is by fiscal year, but that might not be the case. Either way if he took 20% cut for 7 months that’s roughly 300k.

What are other schools in the BE doing? Would love some intel on that if anyone can provide.

B-ball coaches at fball schools are bad comparisons.

Et tu Brutus?

No, not at all, it's more a comment on the absurd salaries of college basketball coaches and how them forgoing a percentage of their salaries still makes their sacrifices a joke comparatively. I'm arguing it would be better off not announcing anything so as not to bring to light the absurdness of it all.

I'm very confident Willard would/has stepped up, he always does.

I say no you don’t have to feel good but yes it’s a sacrifice.

It might be 20% of 1.5M btw, cuz he’s already gotten paid half a year. I’m assuming his annual salary is by fiscal year, but that might not be the case. Either way if he took 20% cut for 7 months that’s roughly 300k.

His current salary is WAY more than $1.5m.

Great take, SHUHitman.

No, not at all, it's more a comment on the absurd salaries of college basketball coaches and how them forgoing a percentage of their salaries still makes their sacrifices a joke comparatively. I'm arguing it would be better off not announcing anything so as not to bring to light the absurdness of it all.

I'm very confident Willard would/has stepped up, he always does.

Short answer: Yes it is a sacrifice. Depending on how it's measured we're talking $300,000 to $600,000. Granted it's less of a sacrifice than if you were being cut $20,000 but it's a significant amount of money. I realize you're not saying it's not enough but there are probably others who will. It's a game after all. Feel good? Who feels good about any of this?

Yes salaries in sports in general are absurd. That's generally representative of the revenue they bring in. The NCAA is collecting roughly $20 billion on its current NCAA tournament agreement with CBS/Turner. That's for the period of 2010 to 2032. That's just the basketball tournament, no ticket sales, no sponsorships, no fund raising arm donations, no local and conference media rights.

I agree with you that coaching salaries are out of whack. Willard's a smart guy. Like you, I suspect he didn't have to be prodded to take a reduction.

It would seem the only thing not being disagreed upon is Willard's history of being charitable towards Seton Hall. Given his track record, I think he has earned the benefit of the doubt that he is indeed contributing in some form or fashion. To what degree or percentage is not necessarily mandatory to be released for public consumption.

Whether it's advertised or not is more up to him and the university than it is us. That information is not just something we can demand and fully expect to have disclosed.

It's only poor "optics" if the media starts asking questions and giving Willard/Seton Hall bad press. Let's face it though, the media(right and left) is far more infatuated with other things right now than what college coaches are taking pay cuts and/or contributing to their schools during these difficult times. It may be a point of concern later, but certainly not now.

Until Seton Hall is among the last few private institutions to make public what their athletic employees have sacrificed, then the university shouldn't feel any undue pressure to reveal anything. There's also no reason to think Willard, during this difficult time, is being anything but his usual philanthropic self.

Reactions: SPK145
Think about your last paragraph for a second. "How on earth can they furlough employees making $40,000...". Maybe because someone in the office actually crunched some numbers and realized these people would likely make the same or MORE than they currently make because of the presently existing unemployment benefits packages. Maybe they realized this makes the most sense for the UNIVERSITY so that they can best allocate their own resources to get through this.

The government is literally handing money out right now, and the unemployment compensation is fantastic for folks not making a significant salary. If I have a bunch of librarians, cooks, cleaners or entry level workers that are sitting around doing nothing because there are no students, and the government is stepping in and willing to keep them afloat for now, wouldn't it be prudent for a small University such as ours to take advantage of it?

You're over here bringing up Jesus Christ and acting like the school threw these people into the poorhouse. They have full benefits and likely near full, full, or beyond full compensation right now. The school may be a non profit university, but it still has to be run like a business or it won't survive. I actually know people that have been furloughed there, do you? I see the situation they have right now, and trust me they are ok. It's incredible the level of grandstanding or virtue signaling we have going on anymore as a society - shit happens, and when it does plenty of people rise up and help others along.

I don't need to know what Kevin Willard is doing, have some faith in your fellow man. But the problem is so many people talk of faith in others but have none. They need a press release or a newspaper article to believe anything anymore.
If I am not doing a good enough job articulating my point, that is my fault, but I'm beginning to feel like I might need to write in crayon to make it any more accessible.

Of course the university needs to make those moves. There are employees whose roles the university simply does not require right now. I haven't questioned or criticized Seton Hall for those furloughs at all because that is simply so far removed from the simple point I have been making here, repeatedly. Whether or not those furloughed employees are better off now or now (which is somewhat dubious in many of their cases) is not the issue. But just to be clear, let's also stipulate that these furloughs are the right thing to do from the university's standpoint - which is at the heart of my interests here.

But what I actually wrote, and you did not address, even though it was at the heart of what I've been saying, was this: "How on earth can they furlough employees making $40,000 if those who enjoy absolute financial security aren't dialing back a little bit from their $3.5 million?"

I've been in higher education communications for the past twenty years, across a variety of roles. The most recent years have had me move more toward the alumni end of things, overseeing the school's signature communications pieces, the things that serve as the "official" institutional narrative of record.

Part of that is anticipating and understanding how the actions of the institution - the policies it initiates and the moves it makes - will be received by its alumni base, and positioning it in a way that will permit the school to build on these things in a way strengthens the relationship and deepens affinities for the institution with these alumni.

If we were furloughing employees, cutting budgets, suspending capital projects, freezing hiring and pay raises, and having senior staff voluntarily submit to 10 percent salary cuts, but our highest paid employee, a Division I basketball coach, was not agreeing to a similar 10 percent pay cut - and making it known publicly - well, I have a pretty good idea what I would have to either dance around or publicly confront in communicating to alumni. (The school where I work does not sponsor Division I sports, so thankfully, we won't have this issue.)

The biggest reason is that when that is the case, it only serves to highlight the disconnect between big-time sports and the academic side. Not that Seton Hall is the showcase school for this phenomenon, but Division I athletic departments already exist as fiefdoms that operate independently from their host universities, keeping whatever profit they make but always willingly picking the pockets of disinterested and struggling students to fill shortfalls where they exist. You only need to look at Rutgers as the embodiment of this, but they are just a part of this nationwide.

The college tuition bubble was already heading toward a bust even before this coronavirus situation landed. Now, with so many programs, and, as things continue, institutions in jeopardy, the idea of a highly paid athletics employee not bearing his or her share of the widespread sacrifices that - to be be perfectly clear, are only just beginning - is unconscionable. This is why if he has agreed to do such a thing, it is in his and the university's very best interest to make it known. It's not something to quietly admit in a Friday afternoon press release. No, it is something to proudly tout, and they had better do it because fundraising is going to be influenced by it being out there.

Kevin Willard knows this. Seton Hall knows this. Universities across the country know this. And after twenty years in this game, I know it. It's not my unique prescription for what should be done. It's really conventional knowledge inside this business. I'm surprised it's not common knowledge outside of it.

This one sets the record of some sort. For me it's the longest post I never intend to read. Enough is enough

Reactions: hbkmyr
Who is to say when this ends though? Contract timing seems meaningless.
I agree who knows how long it will last. Contract timing is relevant depending on your contract-and (probably) nobody here knows those details. But I agree contract timing is less relevant when you take the approach of who knows when this will end.

most people doing this voluntarily or involuntarily are confirming the time period if possible. I know of a significant # of examples that are using now until the end of the year when voluntarily taking a cut (and there are lots of examples that the cut is actually just deferred comp).

Point is that your example of 20% of 2.8M is likely not the calculation and the calculation is relevant to at a minimum the employee, no matter how much one only cares about the optics.

Since this thread is never ending let's switch to another sport.....

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...0200429-rdjen42ydjamrktpup5ouxtr4m-story.html

Roger Goodell voluntarily reduces salary to $0, other NFL employees take pay cuts, furloughs

By SARAH VALENZUELA
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Roger Goodell is taking a massive pay cut in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. But don’t worry too much about the commish’s ability to handle his fiances during the crisis.

Goodell, who makes more than $30 million a year from salary and bonuses, voluntarily cut his salary to $0 in an effort to help with the league’s cost-cutting measures, according to the Associated Press.

All other NFL employees have been subject to either pay cuts or furloughs depending on position, per a memo sent around the league acquired by NBC on Wednesday.

“During this time, one goal has been to maintain pay and benefits for our workforce for as long as possible,” Goodell said in the memo. "It is clear that the economic effects will be deeper and longer lasting than anyone anticipated and that their duration remains uncertain.

“While we continue to prepare for a full 2020 season of NFL football, we also need to manage in a responsible way, adopting a flexible approach that responds to the current conditions in a way that minimizes the risk to our employees, our clubs, and the NFL’s business.”

The league plans to roll out pay cuts based on tier of position: 5% for Manager level, 7% for Directors, 10% for Vice Presidents, 12% for Senior Vice Presidents and 15% for Executive Vice Presidents. Employees will also continue to receive their health benefits.

“The NFL is not immune to the economic consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic and it is our obligation to take responsible steps to protect the business and manage through this crisis as effectively as possible,” Goodell wrote. "These decisions were difficult and we know these measures will cause hardship for those impacted.

“I believe that furloughs and compensation reductions can be limited, or in time even reversed.”

The league has still been trying to find ways to hold a safe, coronavirus-free season, like other major sports leagues around the world. Goodell, who hosted the NFL’s first virtual draft from the basement of his Westchester home last week, has been optimistic there will be football this season.

Just about every team has already started their virtual offseason programs. One notable exception is the Saints who simply told players to show up at training camp in shape.

Can’t believe he made it public! Should have just done it behind the scenes it’s no one else’s business. How dare the NFL reach into his pocket!!
If you want to call it a good PR move that’s fine. But there’s no requirement that any person come out and say they voluntarily took a pay cut or donated back to the university. That may lead to questions but no one is entitled to that information. You have the freedom to ask. The person in question has the freedom to tell you to go screw that’s none of your business.

we’re talking about saving jobs. Actions should be more important than talking. On the caring day thread I asked about using my money for employees. There was no spot for that. Why is the school raising money for anything other than keeping employees whole at this point is beyond me.

Last edited:
https://nypost.com/2020/04/29/giancarlo-stanton-donating-12000-face-shields-to-coronavirus-fight/

Yankees’ Giancarlo Stanton donating 15,000 face shields to coronavirus fight

By Ken Davidoff

April 29, 2020 | 7:16pm | Updated.

“I’ll be ready to go whenever that time comes,” Giancarlo Stanton told The Post from Tampa on Wednesday — speaking, naturally, of his healed right calf and that moment when Major League Baseball hopefully holds its 2020 season — and in the meantime, the Yankees’ slugger has proven ready to help in this coronavirus shutdown.

The 30-year-old has donated 12,000 face shields to medical professionals in New York, where he works now, and Southern California, where he grew up. At Stanton’s direction, each area will receive 6,000 shields, divvied up to different facilities. The New York recipients are BronxCare Health in The Bronx, Brookdale Hospital Medical Center in Brooklyn and Jamaica Hospital Medical Center and Flushing Hospital Medical Center in Queens.

“I’ve seen the growing needs of the healthcare workers,” Stanton said. “I’ve kind of been doing research and seeing what they need the most, what can benefit them through the long haul of this. I know they’ve had to exchange masks throughout the day, and with the limitation on masks in general, I thought it would be a smart idea to get those face shields to cut that number down.

“The shields are reusable. You can wash them and keep them going. That was the idea there.”

Stanton worked alongside his agents Joel Wolfe and Brittany Peiffer at Wasserman to find a partner in Voodoo Manufacturing, which operates 200 3D printers and has transformed its 5,000-square-foot facility to mass produce emergency personal protective equipment.

This will be an ongoing project for Stanton. First will come another 3,000 shields.

“We’re looking as the virus adapts,” he said, “kind of researching which individual city needs the most. New York was hit really hard and LA as well, especially the African-American and Latino communities. We’ll take care of those. Miami [where Stanton played with the Marlins] as well.”

Beyond that, Stanton said, “I’ll keep it going wherever else I can help in this crazy time.”

If more shields make the most sense, he’ll do that. If a greater need arises for something else, he’ll change it up.

“It’s wild, man,” Stanton said of this nightmare in which we are living. “Obviously we’ve never seen anything like this. It just seems like every new notification on our phones, or however we get our information, isn’t positive. You’ve got to keep moving forward, see what you can do while staying at home.

“When there isn’t any positive news out there, for me it’s just trying to keep ready to go, keep a positive mindset, try to improve things, learn new things, better myself. Always. That’s really all you can do.”

Because Stanton was rehabilitating his calf when the sports world shut down in mid-March, he has been permitted to keep reporting to George M. Steinbrenner Field, where he can get treatment and work out. The only teammates joining him there, he said, are his fellow outfielder Aaron Judge, who has been healing a fractured rib, and right-hander Luis Severino, who underwent Tommy John surgery in February and won’t be ready to return in 2020 no matter what happens with the currently dormant baseball season.

“I’ve just been getting ready to go and having good half-days at the field, trying to see what’s the best option for us to safely get back out there,” Stanton said. “It’s cool to see, for the moment, guys trying to stay ready with limited resources. That’s another interesting obstacle, something you have to stay positive for as well. Stuff like guys playing catch on the street.”

We face so many more obstacles in the coming months, Stanton knows. He’s engaged on these as well as getting ready for the day job that could return soon if enough goes right. That, and some Stantonian blasts wherever the Yankees call home, would certainly rank as positive news.

One of the dumbest posts I’ve ever seen on here and there have been some real gems.

If you want to call it a good PR move that’s fine. But there’s no requirement that any person come out and say they voluntarily took a pay cut or donated back to the university. That may lead to questions but no one is entitled to that information. You have the freedom to ask. The person in question has the freedom to tell you to go screw that’s none of your business.

we’re talking about saving jobs. Actions should be more important than talking. On the caring day thread I asked about using my money for employees. There was no spot for that. Why is the school raising money for anything other than keeping employees whole at this point is beyond me.
your last sentence - I disagree, respectfully

you seem to assume that they’re raising money for reasons unrelated to keeping the place open so people can have jobs. Today I heard about two specific individuals: one in athletic dept got furloughed, the other got a teaching related job helping near graduated students earn something they need to get a real job after graduating

Besides I think the mission is to serve students not employ people, so I think top admin (and fundraisers) are trying to accomplish that mission when they make decisions at this time

Great take, SHUHitman.

Of course it is. What percentage of your income are you giving to Seton Hall. You doubtless make more than some who give, does that mean you don’t sacrifice? Btw, Willard is generous to many charities, eg CF.

So when Bryan Felt writes this in his newsletter I received this morning:

As we have said throughout this month, we are faced with a difficult financial situation caused by this pandemic. And as we strive to provide our student-athletes the best support to allow them to reach their academic and athletic potential, we need help.

Should I just assume that our highest paid employee at the school has taken a pay cut? Wouldn’t it be beneficial for fundraising to show the sacrifices the athletic department is making? Maybe that played a role in the low donation numbers?

I can’t understand how so many of you are against this, it’s baffling to me.

Reactions: SHUBigEBall10
So when Bryan Felt writes this in his newsletter I received this morning:

As we have said throughout this month, we are faced with a difficult financial situation caused by this pandemic. And as we strive to provide our student-athletes the best support to allow them to reach their academic and athletic potential, we need help.

Should I just assume that our highest paid employee at the school has taken a pay cut? Wouldn’t it be beneficial for fundraising to show the sacrifices the athletic department is making? Maybe that played a role in the low donation numbers?

I can’t understand how so many of you are against this, it’s baffling to me.

It's baffling to many of us that you think any individual should have to give out the information of his charity. He could've walked in well ahead of the curve and volunteered a paycut or given a huge donation. That quite frankly is nobody's business. People may want to know that information. You can find out whether or not he took a paycut when the 990 comes out.

There's also the other side of the coin where you have a school like Oregon where you will often read people don't donate because Phil Knight will pick up the tab. You may get a number of people if they find out coach gave a million to the cause, will give to another cause.

Reactions: Hallsome
Of course it is private. It is none of our business unless he chooses to share with public.
Wrong still. His salary is publicly available because the university is in a tax advantaged category. Pull up the university 990 filing. If our senior officers are taking pay cuts and I’m weighing responding to the university’s request for help, I’d like to know what the highest paid is doing.

Wrong still. His salary is publicly available because the university is in a tax advantaged category. Pull up the university 990 filing. If our senior officers are taking pay cuts and I’m weighing responding to the university’s request for help, I’d like to know what the highest paid is doing.
He’s still working. A lot.

Reactions: catholicman
He’s still working. A lot.
No one doubts he is busting his tail. Always has and I believe alway will. When the ship is in trouble and the senior officers pitch in I believe it’s fair to wonder what he is doing. I’d bet he doing his part. Contrary to you and others, I believe it’s a fair inquiry to have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT