ADVERTISEMENT

KW in home with Naz Reid of RC

Sounds like one of the first head to heads between Willard and Pikell. Although I think both lost out to Ga Tech for a guard last year whose name escapes me.

An RU fan was referred to in a different thread about Reid. He said we have a legit chance and sj has a lesser chance . He said ru was much more of a longshot I think.

I am working with the Roselle Catholic AD as I did last year in his yearly tournament that featured Duval going up against Jordan Walker & Valdir Manuel to buy 100 tickets for our fan base.

This past season SHU greatly impressed not only Walker, Manuel and Duval, but many coaches and players in the state with our attendance. Word was Seton Hall's phones were ringing off the wall that night after the game and beyond with players and coaches taking notice.

The tournament game will be played in December and most likely will feature Roselle Catholic vs The Patrick School on a Saturday night. If the game doesn't conflict with a SHU game and I get the same positive feedback here as I did last season I'll purchase the tickets and sell them to our readers.

Great news re: Naz Reid.

But.... Do we not take a Valdir Manuel verbal until Naz Reid decides where to go???

That game at RC was a great promo for HS players to see how SHU backs up their team. Any time we get a chance to do it, I think we should. Dan did a great job last year and I actually spoke to Quinerly who said to me "Wow you guys really want Tre". I think it spoke worlds about the program.

If (big if) Willard is able to pull off this trifecta he will be one of the hottest coaches in the country. You have to seriously start thinking about succession planning at that point to be safe.

1) Duval
2) 2018 tourney appearance
3) naz Reid

Reactions: Bluebeard
Succession planning all begins IMO with Sha. Not sure how big of a jump going from assistant to HC at this level, but since has been part of the fabric of the program for years it shouldn't be too bad.

He's actually Associate HC and does most of the recruiting.

It's incredible seeing where Sha is now when you think where he was when he left the program under Gonzo to work for Willard at Iona.

It';s like a young kid playing at the lowest level of minor league baseball moving on years later to become a major contributor in the big leagues.

Reactions: shupat08
I don't see us getting Naz, from what I've heard in the past. But these things are always so "fluid", so who knows.

I saw that Kansas/Norm are doing one of their East Coast jaunts and meeting with Naz, Quinerly, King and others. I don't think all of that group goes outside this area, but a few probably will and Naz at the top of that list.

It's incredible seeing where Sha is now when you think where he was when he left the program under Gonzo to work for Willard at Iona.

It';s like a young kid playing at the lowest level of minor league baseball moving on years later to become a major contributor in the big leagues.

I get goose bumps when I think of Shaheen as our head coach. Surrounded by a great supporting staff, I think he could do well. I would love to have a loyal son who does not have one foot out the door looking for the next best thing. This goes for athletic director as well.

When and if this happens do you see Sha at SHU becoming a Amaker type head coach without the one foot always being out the door?

That game at RC was a great promo for HS players to see how SHU backs up their team. Any time we get a chance to do it, I think we should. Dan did a great job last year and I actually spoke to Quinerly who said to me "Wow you guys really want Tre". I think it spoke worlds about the program.
We should all try to hit a Sports U game this Spring/Summer since JQ, Luther and Nazi are likely to commit wherever before next HS season.

I'm starting to believe that the Seton Hall fanbase will be onboard if Sha is the replacement when or if Kevin leaves.

He has so much to offer including being an alum, star in high school and college, from the NYC/NJ area with a sincere personality. SHU needs to pay this guy and keep him around. He's win/win as I see it.

If all of the above goes according to plan, I think the more likely succession plan is who feels Sha's spot as he inevitably will leave before Coach Willard does, IMO. People are already knocking on his door, if all of that happens he is going to get an offer he can't refuse. He also has zero track record so I feel like school's would be all over him much more so than Coach, who does in fact of a lot of ups and downs thus far.

I'm a fan of both, and believe in both, and hope we are able to keep both for as long as possible. We are literally on the cusp of great things; Duval can literally change the course of the entire program by just saying yes.

Reactions: SHULaw05
When and if this happens do you see Sha at SHU becoming a Amaker type head coach without the one foot always being out the door?
From a distance, I don't. I'm assuming this question was somewhat rhetorical but also meant to invite some debate. I just hope the timing all comes together so that when KW is no longer our coach, we haven't had lost Sha before then. Even so, I think he'd end up back here at some point. I have no idea how he'd ultimately be as a BE HC, but I would take my chances with him. I also find it funny that some dismiss him as a potentially great HC to lead us forward. Worth the gamble, if it's even considered that at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: mdb
Not sure why I clicked on that link, but bowlgoal looks a lot like a younger version of our good friend and supposed SHU fan. Mini Simone perhaps? @simone84 o_O

I am still a bit uncomfortable with Sha as HC. It s a huge step to being HC to a major D-1 school. You would need to surround him with experienced assistants who have had head coaching experience. For example, Sha as HC and Mike Rice the top assistant. It can be done but it has to be done right.

I am still a bit uncomfortable with Sha as HC. It s a huge step to being HC to a major D-1 school. You would need to surround him with experienced assistants who have had head coaching experience. For example, Sha as HC and Mike Rice the top assistant. It can be done but it has to be done right.

Chris Mack had no head coaching experience prior to being hired by Xavier. Sean Miller moved on to Arizona and Mack stepped right in without missing much of a beat.

No reason why Sha couldn't do the same if things played out in a similar fashion.

That is why to me he is The Great Shaheen.

We will always and forever and ever root for Shaheen.

Dan, as to one or more games, we gotta do it. We have to show how much we really love the game. I also want Pirate Hottie to come back. Young fans are our next most important priority.

Chris Mack had no head coaching experience prior to being hired by Xavier. Sean Miller moved on to Arizona and Mack stepped right in without missing much of a beat.

No reason why Sha couldn't do the same if things played out in a similar fashion.

Chris Mack served under Sean Miller and also Skip Prosser, Izzo served under Heathcote. Sha served under Gonzo and Willard. Just not the same is it?

You need to bring in someone with experience to sit along side him.

Reactions: BabyBlue
Succession planning all begins IMO with Sha. Not sure how big of a jump going from assistant to HC at this level, but since has been part of the fabric of the program for years it shouldn't be too bad.
Sha is and has been the key for this program. Glad he is starting to getting the recognition and not being damned when people critique the HCs he has worked under

Reactions: Save Continental
We all know that Sha's demonstrated strenghts are as follows:
1. His ability to recruit;
2. His ability to build relationships with the top HS and AAU programs and the people that run them;
3. His ability to teach and develop players at the guard positions;
4.His ability to develop a rapport with his players ; and
5. The respect he's earned from his players and the HS/AAU community.

What we ( meaning me) don't know is what other aspects of being a head coach did Willard allow Sha to get involved in such as;
1. Designing and implementing the offensive and defensive schemes SH used;
2. How involved was Sha in handling the numerous administrative details of running a program like preparing a budget; did Sha get involved in meetings with the SH hierarchy in getting resources for the program, in fundraising ; in meeting with the fan base and interacting with the media.
3. How much authority was Sha given to make changes during games;
4. How good a X and O's coach is he.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT