ADVERTISEMENT

Lakers Celtics in the 80's ESPN 30/30

Seton75

Beyond All Universe
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
I love all the recent talk of lebron and Mj and all time greats. But you can't have a best of all time team without including bird and Magic and kareem.

And the two best gms ever too. How Auerbach got bird, McHale and parish was grand larceny. And west (who helped build the Warriors and just left them) wasn't far behind.

The famous game 6 vs Philadelphia when magic played center was on tape delay. I went on media blackout at my Bleecker st apt to pretend I was watching it live. When Larry and magic left, the nba was gold.

Watching these series again on espn (and stevie H is personally responsible ), an impossible thought came to this laker fan's mind. Maybe bird was best ever. Russell ruined too many springs of my childhood for me to ever forgive him. But bird, man o man...

Magic, bird, kareem, Russell, mj, lbj. Can't get my all time team under 6 and I am as big a jerry west fan as there is...

Those Celt/Lakers series in the 80's were basketball at its finest. No counting on living long enough to see it matched.

Watch that series. Beautiful...

It is must watch for any hoops fan from the 80s. I loved the section on Walton. Forgot he was traded for Cornbread. He was DONE until he got to Boston and then miraculously was great again. Mchale imitating him was hilarious.

Must watch. Haven't seen a bad 30 for 30 yet. How good was Bird?

Must watch. Haven't seen a bad 30 for 30 yet. How good was Bird?

It brought back some great memories. While the Lakers and Celts were dominate, there were other great teams as well. For my money, Larry Bird was the best. By far my favorite player of all time. I loved the stories of how he trash talked. Apparently, he would just tell the opponents what the play was and the. Hit the shot on them. anyway.

I would always ask the following questions when arguing Bird vs the superstars of his time:

Who was a better long range shooter ? Nobody.

Who was a better passer ?
Nobody, assists maybe 7 per game.

Who was a better rebounder at his position ?
Nobody, usually averaged over 10 per game

Court vision - nobody.

Toughness - nobody.

So he shot the best, he passed the best and he rebounded the best.

Maybe defensive liability, but I'll take him every time.

Last edited:
Reactions: halltheway
I would always ask the following questions when arguing Bird vs the superstars of his time:

Who was a better long range shooter ? Nobody.

Who was a better passer ?
Nobody, assists maybe 7 per game.

Who was a better rebounder at his position ?
Nobody, usually averaged over 10 per game

Court vision - nobody.

Toughness - nobody.

So he shot the best, he passed the best and he rebounded the best.

Maybe defensive liability, but I'll take him every time.

Don't get me wrong he was a great passer, but better than Magic??????? No way.

Reactions: Seton75
Magic had the same vision and was a better passer. Bird was the classic killer, great, but not the best everything.

And jabbar might score 50 pts a game in today's game. Imagine him vs the centers in the finals this year.

Three all timers in one series, with worthy, parish and McHale plus the others.

Valid points about Magic, I will admit that you could argue the passing aspect but I won't say Magic was better, let's call it a draw, he had the balls in his hands more. They were both amazing, I was a huge Celtic fan so I am biased, both top 10 of all time.

The rivalry was awesome. That was nba at its best. Watching Jordan was great but nothing compares to the mid 80's. Magic and Bird were both great. Got to give slight edge to Magic on all time list. Bird could have been equal or better but back injury got him at end of career. Plus lakers won two of three titles. Both are in top 6. Magic 4 and Bird 6.

The rivalry was awesome. That was nba at its best. Watching Jordan was great but nothing compares to the mid 80's. Magic and Bird were both great. Got to give slight edge to Magic on all time list. Bird could have been equal or better but back injury got him at end of career. Plus lakers won two of three titles. Both are in top 6. Magic 4 and Bird 6.

Spot-on, Magic has the edge with the head to head play but for those 6-7 years when Bird was at his best it was pure beauty to watch. Remember the last shot streak, I think he hit the winning shot in the last 3 seconds like 5 times one season.

Didn't know he was such a trash talker, that was one mean dude, backed it up.

Last edited:
PMB- I was a huge laker fan in the 80's. Hated Bird and Celtics as most laker fans did :). However, over the years and after watching the stories about Bird. I have softened a bit. Miss those days. I really respect Bird and his style of play. Hard nosed and tough. Still will never admit he is better than magic :) but the guy was one tough dude and a great overall player. Without the back injury, he could have been top 3.

Reactions: PMB Pirate
Lakers-Celtics, Magic-Bird was the best of the NBA. It's like a different sport now. Teams play so differently.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT