ADVERTISEMENT

Lebron/Bronny - Would We have Done the Same Thing

CT Pirate

Freshman
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2010
Slow time for hoops. The Lebron/Bronny fiasco got me to thinking and writing. Many here are parents and grandparents. We've all called in favors or paved the way for our kids in business and in life. Lebron and Bronny are getting killed. I bet we'd do the same thing. Plus shouldn't we celebrate fathers and sons wanting to do something together. We haven't seen it since the Griffeys or going back further to the Howes in hockey. Piece I wrote examining how we all do it, juts not at the levels of Lebron. Would love to hear your reactions to the piece. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/who-hasnt-called-favor-dropped-dime-done-solid-kids-bill-field-u8lte

I guess I may want to work with my son. If it was crystal clear to all that others deserved his spot and it was so out in the public, I am not sure I would feel that great about it.

Draft him in the second round, big deal. Guarentee him a spot on the team in the contract? That is not doing bronny any favors.

And, speaking as a Laker fan since 1960, Lebron is not at the top of that mountain by a long shot. West, Jabbar, Magic, Kobe...a great as Lebron is, he is not close to those guys as far as his impact on the Lakers. And I may add Elgin and Worthy too.

Absolutely not. You would think being a billionaire, possible greatest player of all time and famous around the world would be enough to fill LeBron’s ego. But clearly not.

Playing in the NBA is an extreme privilege, one that only about 450 people each year get to do.

This isn’t about calling a friend to get your son a low paying job or a foot in the door. This is narcissim to the ultimate.

Reactions: cams555
The different between you and Lebron is that your every move isn't in the public eye. Nepotism in our small fishbowl makes small waves. Nepotism in Lebrons word makes tidal waves. Knowing that I was a multi millionaire and his name got him to USC I would have made him stick it out to see if he had what it takes. I think that was more then enough of a head start for him to test his abilities.

Now that he's not panning out he always going to be looked at in a negative light.

abe-simpson-abe-simpson-cloud.gif

I guess I may want to work with my son. If it was crystal clear to all that others deserved his spot and it was so out in the public, I am not sure I would feel that great about it.

Draft him in the second round, big deal. Guarentee him a spot on the team in the contract? That is not doing bronny any favors.

And, speaking as a Laker fan since 1960, Lebron is not at the top of that mountain by a long shot. West, Jabbar, Magic, Kobe...a great as Lebron is, he is not close to those guys as far as his impact on the Lakers. And I may add Elgin and Worthy too.
Just saw a reference to shaq somwhere else and realized a forgot him. I put him with elgin and worthy (and lebron) on my laker totem.

Lakers by position

PG Magic Johnson
2G Jerry West
SF Lebron James
PF Elgin Baylor
C Kareem Abdul Jabbar

The Lakers second team would also be ridiculous. Imagine having to choose between Bryant and West.

Knicks by position

PG Walt Frazier
2G Earl Monroe
SF Bernard King
PF Carmelo Anthony
C Patrick Ewing

For your Knicks team, in the old NBA, I think it is Willis at 4 and Patrick at the 5. And peak King gets it for me over peak Melo at the 3.

For modern day, I get why you would have Willis as a true C, thus putting Melo in the 4. But I'm in the camp to think that if great athletes like Willis or Ewing came up in the modern age, they would play differently, with more of an outside floor spacing game like we have today. Even Ewing expanded his offensive game drastically in this fashion when he left Gtown and came to the Knicks.

No kidding Dan, how do you choose in some cases?

Shaq or Wilt? for second team, no less!

Reactions: Halldan1
For your Knicks team, in the old NBA, I think it is Willis at 4 and Patrick at the 5. And peak King gets it for me over peak Melo at the 3.

For modern day, I get why you would have Willis as a true C, thus putting Melo in the 4. But I'm in the camp to think that if great athletes like Willis or Ewing came up in the modern age, they would play differently, with more of an outside floor spacing game like we have today. Even Ewing expanded his offensive game drastically in this fashion when he left Gtown and came to the Knicks.
Speaking of Reed. How many people remember he was a second round draft choice by the Knicks. Jim Barnes was the first round pick.

Not a lot of teams in the NBA back then.

Speaking of Reed. How many people remember he was a second round draft choice by the Knicks. Jim Barnes was the first round pick.

Not a lot of teams in the NBA back then.
Guess that was bad news for the Reeds...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT