ADVERTISEMENT

Legendary sports writer Jerry Izenberg looks back at his 70-year journey in the business

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Tony Paige
New York Daily News

It was the fight of the (previous) century.

And the great white hope was victorious which seemed odd since the winner was a man of color.

Heavyweight champ Joe Louis, the Brown Bomber, avenged his knockout loss to Max Schmeling in front of 80,000 crazed fans at Yankee Stadium on June 22, 1938. The fight lasted just over two minutes.

Fifteen miles to the southwest, seven-year-old Jerry Izenberg listened to the bout on an old, large radio (no TV back then) with his dad Harry, mother Sadye and sister Lois. They rooted for Louis, were not fans of Nazi Germany’s Schmeling and they were Jews.

The year 1938 had strong connections for young Izenberg. There was the Louis-Schmeling fight, Hank Greenberg chasing Babe Ruth’s home run record (60) and the exposure of the Nazi concentration camps.

Izenberg has a memoir out (his 15th book) covering all of that entitled, “Baseball, Nazis & Nedick’s Hot Dogs: Growing up Jewish in the 1930s in Newark.”

If the title seems a bit long, good, because the 92-year-old Izenberg, the Columnist Emeritus for The Star-Ledger (formerly the Newark Star Ledger), has seen and experienced a lot more than we ever will.

And what better time to reminisce than the 85th anniversary of the Louis-Schmeling rematch. He remembers minute details from that historic night.

“My father said nobody’s going to bed,” recalls Izenberg sporting an impish glee and stylish goatee over a Zoom call. “Everyone’s coming to the living room where the big radio was. He points to my mother and sister and says you too. We’re going to listen to the Louis-Schmeling fight tonight.”

And what a fight, as Louis, knocked out by Schmeling in the same Yankee Stadium ring two years previous, tore into the German right from the start.

“Clem McCarthy is the announcer with that gravelly voice. He says the fighters are now in the ring and my father jumps to his feet and the bell rings,” says Izenberg as the fight comes to life in the living room of the family home at 80 Shanley Ave. in Newark. “My father is throwing punches and cursing. My father is my hero, so I’m throwing punches and cursing.

“My mother grabs me by the arm and says, ‘Language, Language, Language.’ It kind of took the edge off the night, but our guy won.”

Izenberg has always been a fighter even when he didn’t realize it battling his way past the lined up bullies at the Blessed Sacrament Church and School. He lost many a fight and found out why he started out as a punching bag as he walked home.

“The sidewalk in blue chalk said, ‘All Jews are kites,’” he remembers. “I knew I couldn’t fly so I couldn’t figure out what the hell it was all about.

“I asked my father and boy did he tell me. He said it was written by an illiterate chazer [pig].”

Izenberg is proudly Jewish and that didn’t stop him from being one of America’s most decorated sports writers.

He is one of only two daily newspaper columnists to have covered the first 53 Super Bowls and 54 consecutive Kentucky Derbies, plus the last five Triple Crown winners.

ZERZPILDKJF3LHI2CBDDWDXQFM.jpg

Heck, he covered Muhammad Ali when he was known as Cassius Clay at the 1960 Rome Olympics.

As time passed, Izenberg got to know both 1938 combatants and found out Schmeling was not a Nazi.

“When he lost to Louis, they sent him to the front lines in Crete,” states Izenberg with a chuckle. “When they realized that Schmeling was going to lose, [the Nazis] cut the radio feed to Germany and played [Richard] Wagner.”

Schmeling, who became a millionaire as the head of Coca-Cola in Germany, paid for Louis’ funeral in 1981.

Residing in Henderson, Nev., with his wife Aileen of 45 years and still writing in his 73rd year as a journalist, Izenberg is also a Korean War vet while his father fought in WWI.

Izenberg has been inducted into 17 Halls of Fame including the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Hall of Fame, the International Boxing Hall of Fame, the International Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and the New Jersey Hall of Fame. During his colorful life, he lived through the Great Depression and the 1967 Riots in Newark.

VBJQNC6EGZGIVFGVEC4PIP4HWA.jpg

He was even one of the beat writers covering the 1962 Mets.

“Everybody there was fun,” he recalls. “Marvelous Marv Throneberry hits a home run, passed the runner and he’s out.”

Then there was the manager.

“I loved Casey [Stengel],” he gushes. “Every time you asked him a question, you’d wind up numb, shaking your head and say, ‘What did he say?’

“When Leonard Koppett left the Post for the Times, [outfielder] Frank Thomas says, ‘Don’t get discouraged. Get over there and write your way back.’

“It was wonderful.”

With age comes experience, and Izenberg has seen and felt a lot.

“I was born in 1930,” he declares. “A very bad time for parents to bring kids into the world.”

With the rise of anti-Semitism (again) and racism (again), he hopes it gets better, but he’s a realist.

“I believe now the glass is half full, not half empty,” he says. “Progress? I see potential, but things get darkest before the dawn. We’re going to have more problems.

“We’re not going to have a Civil War. It’s going to seem like it because there’s more racial and ethnic violence every day. I do believe we’re going to come out of this, but it’s going to be really hard.”

This from a kid who fought just to go home.

He learned how to defend himself with sneaky fight tactics courtesy of pro boxer Georgie Kornfield, but when there were too many of them, he liked to say, “Feet, don’t fail me,” and took off never telling his father about his budding career as a track star.

For all the fights he’s covered, Izenberg’s view has changed.

“I don’t like boxing anymore,” he declares. “I can appreciate it [but] today, boxers are tight ends and power forwards because they can make more money and get hit a lot less.

“Mike Tyson said the smartest thing I’ve ever heard anybody say about boxing,” he says. “Everybody has a plan ‘til they get hit in the mouth. That’s boxing, that’s life, that’s business, that’s two grammar school kids.

“[And] where are the trainers? If you don’t have Socrates, you don’t have his pupils. Arcel, Futch, Steward, Ferrara.”

When Jerry Green of The Detroit News died in March, he had covered 56 consecutive Super Bowls; three more than Izenberg.

“There is nobody left who was in the business when I came in,” he says. “It’s very sobering.”

Especially, when you’re the last man standing.

“Not standing too well,” he says with a smile.

Yet, his wisdom has purpose concerning today’s journalism.

“I was raised by the greatest sports editor [Stanley Woodward] at the Herald Tribune,” he states. “His motto is different. The motto today is, ‘Get it fast. Get it first.’

“His motto was, ‘You better damn well get it right.’”

Jerry Izenberg did.

I'll never forget his piece after the '89 parade on South Orange Ave. He never stopped trying to put "Seton who?" on the map ... writing about "that tiny Catholic school nestled in the foothills of the orange mountains"... I miss his way with words.... every article had its own special sauce.

The Ledger had the best sports page I have ever read in the 70’s and 80’s with an all star at every position (Dave Klein Giants Moss Klein Yankees, Dan Castelano on the Mets, Walt MacPeak on the Rangers, Don Williams on the Jets, Sid Dorfman on high school) and the best columnist in the business, Jerry Izenberg.
I’m trying to remember the Knicks beat writer. Anyone? Lucci covered us and RU as I recall. Not a soft spot in the lineup.
Looking forward to reading Mr Izenberg’s latest.
Seton 75 is spot on- a national treasure.

How about him and Bill Mazur on Sports Extra on Channel 5? He delivered great essays. Was must watch sports TV long before ESPN.

Reactions: SnakeTom
The Ledger had the best sports page I have ever read in the 70’s and 80’s with an all star at every position (Dave Klein Giants Moss Klein Yankees, Dan Castelano on the Mets, Walt MacPeak on the Rangers, Don Williams on the Jets, Sid Dorfman on high school) and the best columnist in the business, Jerry Izenberg.
I’m trying to remember the Knicks beat writer. Anyone? Lucci covered us and RU as I recall. Not a soft spot in the lineup.
Looking forward to reading Mr Izenberg’s latest.
Seton 75 is spot on- a national treasure.
Mike Weber

Reactions: BucBloc
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT