ADVERTISEMENT

Let's hope Whitehead gets some better coaching....

Hall91

All Universe
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
Willard sat him for most of last 5 minutes of the game, but you continue to see the same mistakes with Whitehead. I'll advised shiots, forced drives to the basket on 1 on 2 or more situations. Is he learning? Is he being coached? Is he operating on his own terms?

The conclusion on Whitehead after watching him is that he is best when he creates for others first and foremost, and then scores when he has 1:1 situations. He should be playing more like a PG.

This act and situation has grown old.

This post was edited on 3/8 9:57 PM by Hall91

Re: Is Whitehead coachable?

I haven't the foggiest idea. Judging from what's gone on around him, his own Tweets, and so forth, I couldn't tell you if he's good or bad for the team.

The kid has great talent, but he has not played well.

He only shoots .361 from the field with a 1.06 PPS and has 73 assists to 71 turnovers. He's an extremely inefficient player. Not even half the player Gibbs is right now, IMO.

Going into the year, I thought he was definitely an NBA talent. Starting to have my doubts. Maybe he is not 100% healthily but he does not look like an nba player right now.

He is at his best when creating for his teammates, especially when it is in the flow of the game and he is not forcing the issue. The coaching staff really has to review this with him and make him realize that this team plays a lot better when he is distributing. His unselfishness is infectious which helped us get out to such a great start in the OOC schedule! IMHO, this will be the biggest issue to work on in the offseason more than recruiting

No way he was the 15-20th best player in the 2014 recruiting class.

He's coachable by the right coach. He was just overrated. We, as Seton Hall fans, tend to do that. We get a good, solid recruit and then way overhype them. I'm always hoping for the next Terry Dehare, under hyped and then an all-American.

Those that had Whitehead as a one and done need nt worry unless he's looking to play in Europe.

Has not been the same since the injury. And now playing a new position. But yes, he has a lot of work to do before he can move on.

I disagree there is anything physically wrong with him. It's his decision making which has been more bad than good. This is where coaching should come into play. If Willard was hesitant to manage him early on because of whatever reason, this should no linger be the case. Right now, Whitehead isn't going to be on the radar for the NBA. It's going to take an adjustment that he is no longer playing AAU ball to make him a NBA prospect again.

Willard needs to have the courage to break him down if either is going to have a chance to improve themselves.

Originally posted by Muggsy Blue:
He's coachable by the right coach. He was just overrated. We, as Seton Hall fans, tend to do that. We get a good, solid recruit and then way overhype them. I'm always hoping for the next Terry Dehare, under hyped and then an all-American.

Those that had Whitehead as a one and done need nt worry unless he's looking to play in Europe.
Seton Hall fans did not elect him a McDAA. They say NYC players aren't what they used to be. Maybe they're not.

He has everything he needs to be a college all American, with the right coaching. Willard said mid way thru the season when we were winning that he told his player "If you put in the work then you can let it rain". And that is exactly what our offense looks like. Ive seen better ball movement in recent games, but it takes a time to develop that part of the offense, so it won't happen next week. IW can have a breakout season next year if he learns to move the ball better instead of taking ill advised shots and trying to make a difficult pass. I have faith the IW will be a stud next year.

Good to know that he will be a stud next year. We Seton Hall fans understand those words "next year." we will just soldier on.

Originally posted by shupat08:
No way he was the 15-20th best player in the 2014 recruiting class.
He was a kid I thought would come in and deliver immediately because that's what you expect from that level. But he's not there yet. He's not like Eddie Griffin (RIP) or Andre Barrett. They were much more polished, I think.

I hope Whitehead has learned a lot and maybe been humbled a bit.

The most polished frosh of all time for us ?

Shaheen Holloway ,who under George Blaney had a sparkling freshman year.

If only George could recruit. Thinking back, Blaney was a far better teaching coach than KW.

But neither man could motivate worth a darn.

Some players are harder to reach than others but any player is coachable if you have the right coach. Unfortunately for Isaiah (and us) we don't. It's pretty clear that by season's end Isaiah had gone off the reservation.

Originally posted by bd98:
Some players are harder to reach than others but any player is coachable if you have the right coach. Unfortunately for Isaiah (and us) we don't. It's pretty clear that by season's end Isaiah had gone off the reservation.
+1

It's all become so untenable!

And putrid. Horrible season that can only be saved by four wins this week.

If he stays here 4 years, he will be just fine.

Ridiculous post title. Whitehead is one of the more asute high level basketball players we have had in years and gives it his all. Problem is he is trying too much as freshman and it comes across as selfish play. This is really on the coach. It is his job to command respect and get players to play in the system. Don't necessarily blame the kid for kid when the Parent doesn't set boundaries.

Originally posted by lokiSHU:
Ridiculous post title. Whitehead is one of the more asute high level basketball players we have had in years and gives it his all. Problem is he is trying too much as freshman and it comes across as selfish play. This is really on the coach. It is his job to command respect and get players to play in the system. Don't necessarily blame the kid for kid when the Parent doesn't set boundaries.
I agree with Loki. Let's put up a post with a ridiculous title to mock the first McD All American that has agree to come to SHU since Eddie Griffin? Common.

Of course he is coachable but I'd ask the original poster a question. Have you seen good coaching here? That answers your question.

I think its also telling that IW is sitting just lately when he has not played well. That should have been what happened early in the season when he was not playing well to send a message. It's too little too late now. That further answers your question.

112 - +2. 91 is a very reasonable poster but at this stage I don't think threads should be titled like this. But Of course everyone is entitled to post whatever they want. And for the record I don't agree with the idea that he's not coachable nor has it ever entered my mind. He's had a rough season but anyone who watches him play can tell he has talent, his bball IQ is off the charts and he seems like a bigtime team player/ cheerleader when he's on the bench.

This post was edited on 3/8 1:00 PM by phi_pirates

I thought he seemed to take better shots as the season went on..coachable yes..talented absolutely and will show it next year.

Going to get on my soap box real quick then I'll shut up. I know no harm was intended by the OP but it happens to be IW bday today. Can you imagine having a great day and then wandering to the board to read this. I know these kids have to develop thick skin but just throwing that out there.

He can hit the outside shot but I think he operates better when he's got it closer, then he can drive, shoot or pass. He's best when there's confusion and lots of movement around him. He's a creater. You can't create 20 feet from the hoop. Him bringing up the ball is not him--he's a good passer but he's no point guard; he forces it too much and out if position to be a scorer. Wind him, get him an entry pass in the circle and let him go to work. He's better in that elbow area than Mobley and Mobley ain't bad there. Coach can't make decisions for his players but he's got to put them in position to succeed.

Piratz makes a good point that nobody really knows if IW is coachable. And the parent analogy by the other OP is right on. There are no reports about IW the way there was about Lance Stephenson. And Tiny Morton was on the record about some things on LS and how his father was overbearing when he was coaching him. Don't think there is any thing like that here unless the Sina siutation and the IW entourage that the blogger reported spilled over into coaching him.

I'd have to agree with the poster that when IW tries to do too much it really hurts him and when it's against a quality opponent it really shows. Against Merecer and PJ opponents the team can overcome it.

If any player at all doesn't take direction from the coach. He should sit until he does, and yanked as soon as he "goes off the reservation" as one poster put it. If anyone causes rancor or trouble in the locker room, or on the court, and alienates other players, that causes a bad chemistry, and that's the tried and true recipe for a losing team.

Isaiah is a freshman. We're putting too much on his shoulders and he doesn't deserve any of this. With time, he'll learn.

Frankly, I find this post --specifically its title-- offensive and disrespectful to the young man. His main problem is trying to do too much and he happens to be in the hands of a coach who doesn't know how to develop him.

What can possibly be gained by posting something like this? He is one of our students and he deserves better.

He has talent. It is up to coach to bring it out of him. I hope he succeeds and plays at the next level. He has to improve quite a bit to get there. Two more years with proper guidance might be needed.

He will be much better next year IMO. My only concern is that both he and Delgado will be trying to go pro after next season. So hopefully that doesn't impact the overall team play.

I also find the title of this thread disrespectful of a fine young man and just flat out totally ridiculous.I think that Isaiah is one of our best recruits ever and will not disappoint anyone at Seton Hall. What purpose does it serve to directly raise this type of question on a public board. Unless of course you are some one that is just trying to make our situation even worse and drive potential recruits away. Makes no sense! Let's drop this thing immediately!

Ok, I edited the title of the thread. I wish nothing but the best for Isaiah.

+1 HallLine 69.

The only thing IW is doing wrong is trying to do much which 1)lots of young players do and 2)guy wants to win and trying to do everything he can.

Really hope he stays at least for next year. Just seems like someone who can help turn this ship away from the Iceberg, if the captain helps him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT